The sides are up

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

The sides are up

Postby mexican tear » Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:28 pm

yesterday I got the sides up,

Last edited by mexican tear on Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Essie" and the Mexican Tear
mexican tear
Donating Member

Postby Steve Frederick » Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:43 pm

Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Postby mexican tear » Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:53 pm

Thanks Steve.
It is a good idea if you can not get the photo to apear any other way. I finaly loaded it to another site and then used that address for the img thing
kai
mexican tear
Donating Member

Postby beverlyt » Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:15 am

Kai,
Looks like you're doing a fine job! Always fun to see the walls come together and watch it start looking like a teardrop.
You mentioned "struggling" to get it built.

We had very little experience "building" anything and really struggled at times too. It finally came together though and we are still amazed that we have a camping trailer we built ourselves.

It was well worth the aggravation (and believe me, we had our days!)
Sites such as these were an enormous help to us, since even with good plans, we still had many questions.

Are you going to insulate it? We've been very glad we did ours.
Keep sending pictures of your progress!
Bev
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby Chip » Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:54 am

Kai::ya making good progress,,looking good,,,how wide is your tear,,it looks to be wider than 4'?? also how long,,

struggling,,,,heck thats putting it mildly,,my girlfriend has hid the saws- all,,its gonna drive me to drinking,,already up to 4 pots of coffee a day,,seriously the details and getting it all to fit together is the largest headache for me,,everything is either a quarter inch too big or an eigth inch too short,,guess thats what moulding and caulk is for,,

I have come to the conclusion that the cabinets are something that more planning and thought should go into,,,heck I believe if ya had a cabinet module made and build a tear around it, it would be less frustrating,,I guess I am just hitting the "i'm ready to finish" wall,,

Beverly the TPO goes on this weekend,,

chip
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby mexican tear » Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:09 am

Hi all

Yes I am going to insulate the tear, infact the botom is already insulated. My biggest problem is getting things down here. It is expensive to make trips to the US so I try and use as much local stuff as plssible. The other day I spent all day looking for "liquid nails (no mas clavos)". I finaly found three tubes. It is new down here. I gave up trying to find polyurethane glue.

The tear is a little bigger than normal, because we are a little bigger than normal. However we are on diets, so maybe the tear will be to big when it is finaly done. It is 5 X 10. It is a little higher than normal so that I can pull it behind the jeep when we go off road.

I am struggling to get the plates for it now. It is difficult to do anyting if you are not a Mexican, and oh yes it is difficult to do anything even if you are a Mexican. Fortunatly I have a friend that is helpiing.

Thanks for watching as I build.
kai
mexican tear
Donating Member

Postby beverlyt » Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:32 am

Kai,
Sorry to hear that it's such a pain to find materials there. The liquid nail stuff should work good too...we used some of that here and there on ours.

Bob and I just slept two nights on our 45" foam mattress and let me tell you, it's cozy! We could stand to lose a few pounds too, but when you're talking that skinny a mattress, noone but stick people are going to find it "roomy". Trying to turn over without rolling on your spouse is nigh-on impossible!
I think you'll be happy you went with 5' ... no matter what size or shape you are.

We had to go with the 4' because I would be scared to pull anything wider...(I'm a real chicken) and because we needed to keep the weight down.

Bev
beverlyt
500 Club

Return to General Discussion