I insulated the Baja Benroy

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

I insulated the Baja Benroy

Postby mikeschn » Sat Apr 17, 2004 6:04 am

I insulated my teardrop yesterday! I was so hoping that I could find something to spray in, but the local Icynene place never returned my call. So I went with the traditional pink polystyrene.

After doing a few pieces with a nice, I knew there had to be a better way. So I dragged out the table saw, and voila!!! A better way. My pieces were square, the right size, and they fit perfectly.

Then as an added bonus, I cut slots into the polystyrene Frank's way, and bent the insulation around the curve. :D

Steve Fredrick... did you use a table saw on your insulation?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Steve Frederick » Sat Apr 17, 2004 4:44 pm

Hi Mike
Actually, I used a japanese razor saw.. I have two anyway, it cuts straight when you want, curves are easy too! I also tried a knife, slow and not too neat!
On your next project,:twisted: try r-tech. I used it on the curvey area in the front. It bends real easily!
I'm really enjoying this board. Thanx again!
Steve
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Postby mikeschn » Sat Apr 17, 2004 5:05 pm

Hey Steve,

You did an excellent job with your razor saw. I have one of those japanese flush cutoff saws that cuts dowels and plugs flush to the surface. I don't think it would cut insulation very well, but then again, it might!!!

I was looking for the r-tech stuff at my home depot, but they didn't have it. I didn't want to spend all weekend looking for it, so I just grabbed some pink stuff.

My feet are killing me from climbing up and down the ladder all day. :(

But tomorrow's another day, and I hope to start on the hatch members then! :D

Mike..

Steve Frederick wrote:Hi Mike
Actually, I used a japanese razor saw..
On your next project,:twisted: try r-tech. I used it on the curvey area in the front. It bends real easily!
I'm really enjoying this board. Thanx again!
Steve
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Steve Frederick » Sat Apr 17, 2004 5:18 pm

got R-Tech at Lowes
Blessings, Steve
Building Journals
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Postby mikeschn » Sat Apr 17, 2004 5:23 pm

Okay thanks. Did you insulate your hatch too?

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Steve Frederick » Sat Apr 17, 2004 5:28 pm

Just started building the hatch today. Suffering from the "paralysis of analysis" Trying to figure out the hatch/wall seam..Got it figured out. Should get it framed up tommorow.
As for insulation in the lid, Think it's needed?
Steve
Blessings, Steve
Building Journals
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Postby mikeschn » Sat Apr 17, 2004 5:38 pm

No I don't think it's needed. I have a closet in between the galley area and the cabin area. And most other people have at least a bulkhead and a cabinet there. So my guess would be no, it's not needed!

Besides, we are not going up to the north pole to go camping, are we? :lol:

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Steve Frederick » Sat Apr 17, 2004 6:01 pm

I insulated the bulkhead between the cabin and galley. If I don't do the hatch lid, I can use the galley as a backup icebox during late fall trips!Image
Blessings, Steve
Building Journals
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Postby R Keller » Sun Apr 18, 2004 6:44 pm

Mike, I think you did the right thing with your insulation. In my opinion, the "pink stuff" is the best insulation you can use for a small trailer. Others may disagree. OK, I take that back slightly. I compared the pink Owen's-Corning Foamular to the blue Dow Styrofoam, and the Styrofoam seemed a little less "crunchy" than the Foamular and seemed to rebound a bi better when I squeezed it between my thumb and finger. Both are rated at 25 psi compressive strength though. So, either the blue stuff or the pink stuff.

I used the blue stuff and made structural sandwich with 5/32" plywood on either side of the foam. The cool thing about the rigid extruded polysturene is that is holds up to stress in such a structure and adds a huge amount of strength. The spray-in stuff and the polyiso turn to powder when subjected to stress. The polyiso does have a better R-rating for the thickness though

And the R-tech stuff, if it's the same as "R-Gard", is an expanded polystyrene which means that it consists of "beads" with air spaces in between (like a coffee cup). It is not, therefore, closed cell, like extruded polystyrene is. It will take on moisture and it crumbles very easlily. Plus it makes a mess when you try to cut it.

For cutting the Dow Styrofoam, I first tried a jig saw along a straight edge. That worked OK. Then I used a Xacto knife (a utility knife is not sharp enough and tends to tear the foam) Doing it in multiple passes, it was very accurate and clean. Of course that was just for 3/4" thick stuff for the walls. I'll try a longer blade for the 1.5" stuff for my roof. Might have to cut on both sides.

Oh, and you need to make sure that whatever adhesive you use it compatible with the polystyrene and won't melt it.

Steve: I like your tape clamps for the foam. Did that system work well? What did you use for adhesive?

Rik
R Keller
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Sun Apr 18, 2004 9:08 pm

Here's the pictures from my photo album of insulating the teardrop with that pink stuff. You'll see that I used my tablesaw, and it did a really nice job. I wish I had tried it eariler in the process!

http://www.mikenchell.com/live/04_16_2004/index.html

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Ross Wade » Sun Apr 18, 2004 9:27 pm

A table saw is the perfect tool for the job. We start insulating next weekend, so that little tip will come in very handy.

I am using the blue foam board 3/4" thick. What would be the best adhesive to use? I really never gave it much thought, until now.

Thanks, Ross
Ross
Southern Appalachian Tearjerker Chapter Director
Ross Wade
Southern TearJerker

Postby mikeschn » Sun Apr 18, 2004 9:30 pm

Here's another tip. Cut that foam outside! You'll have polystyrene dust everywhere! Let the wind blow it away! (and don't tell Al Gore!)

I didn't use an adhesive. I friction fit all the pieces into place, and then captured them with the skin. They are not going anywhere! If the pieces were not friction fit, I would have used duct tape to hold them in place, and skinned right over the duct tape!

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Ross Wade » Sun Apr 18, 2004 9:34 pm

Thanks Mike. One less thing to buy. Ross
Ross
Southern Appalachian Tearjerker Chapter Director
Ross Wade
Southern TearJerker

Postby Steve Frederick » Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:25 pm

Rik, I didn't use glue in the sections with the duct tape. Just stapled the tape for insurance, then ran the ply over the whole thing. The area on the flatter top used the pink poly styrene board.
Steve
Blessings, Steve
Building Journals
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Postby mikeschn » Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:33 am

Steve Frederick wrote:Hi Mike
Steve

Hey Steve,

When you bend this insulation does one side compress, and the other side expand?

What if I were to glue it to the headliner, while it's flat on the ground, and then after the glue is dry, bend the headliner... Would there be enough expansion on the outside surface? Or would it just crack instead? What do you think?

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Discussion