New user bitten by the bug!

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

New user bitten by the bug!

Postby JamesW » Fri Jul 23, 2004 6:36 pm

I wanted to post that I received a used 4 x 8 trailer today! It is a little rusted but got it for a great deal! I am beginning my project this weekend but do not have much time to work on it. I need to grind the whole trailer and repaint it. Still haven't decided on the design yet but I am favoring the BENROY. ( think that is how it is spelled )
JamesW
Teardrop Master

Postby Shrug53 » Fri Jul 23, 2004 6:43 pm

Instead of grinding the whole thing, you may want to call around to local shops to see about sandblasting. I know locally something like that would be around $75.00
Plus if it is just surface rust, you may just want to give it a coat of Naval Jelly and then give it a high pressure wash at a coin-op car wash.
"Better living through reckless experimentation"
http://www.forgottenclassics.com
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby Shrug53 » Fri Jul 23, 2004 6:45 pm

Oh I forgot to mention that if you need plans, there are several original scans from old magazines at my website.
"Better living through reckless experimentation"
http://www.forgottenclassics.com
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby ALAN GEDDES » Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:12 pm

Welcome to the madness. Great bunch of people here; just ask your questions and you will get all the answers. Some might even help. :D I would recomend sandblasting so you can check all welds to be on the safe side if the trailer is fairly old. What part of the country are you in ? Alan
Alan
ALAN GEDDES
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby JamesW » Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:14 pm

Thanks everyone! I am in the Seattle area. In Everett, WA. The welds have been checked already and have been blessed. The "grinding" has already began. Come to find out that most of the "rust" turned out to be a poor "brown" paint job...
JamesW
Teardrop Master

Return to General Discussion