Hardest part of building a tear?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby mikeschn » Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:49 pm

Hey Robert, Chip and all!!!

I've worked on the dimensions for the mockup that I am going to cut tomorrow. Here's what I ended up with.

Oh, those dimensions in red. Sorry about that. It's a result of the other dimension and the angle. I want to be able to tilt the blade on the tablesaw to a whole angle when I cut those pieces. I'll just have to get as close as I can to those strange numbers!!!

Mike...

P.S. By the way, I have 2 pieces of OSB, 48" x 116", with a little help from my biscuit joiner and some gorilla glue. :wink:
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Re:

Postby Franco Novo » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:29 pm

shil wrote:Mine's so simple that I had no problems with the build. I'm having a hell of a time finishing it off, the details are killing me.

How to keep the rain out?
How to hold the windows shut?
How to hold the windows open?

Boy , I can relate to this. Did a quick build...less than a month, got some cute little windows and hatch's at Habitat for Humanity....
I'm using what materials I have laying around....I don't have a lot of $$ to put into this thing

So, found a big chunk of rubber and cut it into strips, and contact cement it into the window , hatch and door stops
Let's just say, it's been a pain in the you know what...and there are still gaps......lol :?
Franco

Franco Novo
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Hardest part of building a tear?

Postby Mary C » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:48 pm

Well now that I have finished my TD I can say that the messiest, the one I wouldn't want to do again has to be gluing canvas to the inside ceiling and the underside of the hatch. The hardest was for me, was lifting the hatch and connecting it. Bless my brother for his help in taking the top off and helping me reconnecting the top to the body. I had to wash the whole thing because of mold (its a true southern thing).

Franco thanks for the "bump" and I want to say congratulations on dong lots of reading .

Mary C.
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:16 am

You did Great Mary !!! :thumbsup: 8) :applause:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:57 pm

Deciding you are "DONE".

Nope not going to happen. Was working on a couple of problems today that came up at CRA with the AC.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby daveesl77 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:32 pm

First, glad this thread got resurrected. Next , I'm going to agree with ShadowCatcher. It was really tough for me to say "Ok, time to stop work for now and let's take it out for the trip".

Since we've been back, I have purposefully NOT worked on it, but doing things around the house and yard I've put off for too long. However, every day I walk by it and figure out the next steps when I restart the "finishin'" in September. We have a short week trip down to the Keys in mid October and then the Anastasia gathering in early November. Have to have a bunch of stuff done by then, but probably won't be finished. Then the plan is maybe a few short trips over the winter and finally another long run, back out west this time, in April/May of next year

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:13 pm

For me, the hardest part of building was getting out in the garage and doing it; making progress. Thankfully, the people here, on this forum, would bug me if I didn't report in within a couple days of when I had said I would report monthly. So, thanks, all. :)

Those of you who look at build threads, try to say something to encourage those building. I have trouble knowing what to say until the builds have a bit done on them; so, maybe some of you out there can help, especially in the early stages. It really does make a difference. :yes:

Those of you who are building, remember to look at the number of views. That way, even if you don't get a comment when you post, you'll know that people are watching. :SG
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Mary C » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:18 pm

Gee. I didn't mean to say finished in the true sence only made to be campable.and likeI wanted, I have to replace the galley hinge but it has to wait till October. and if it doesn't get done then it will be after Christmas or sometime in the year 2016.

Thanks Sharon. I will be weighing mine soon so you can add it to the list. I am hoping to get some good pictures made soon of the inside and outside. I still think the glueing the canvas on the celing was difficult.

Mary C
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby noseoil » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:25 pm

I'm changing my answer, it isn't the time of getting it done, it's the #*@^^%!g heat.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby daveesl77 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:40 pm

Noseoil, boy do I have to agree with you on the heat issue. In central Florida this year it has been absolutely brutal! Once we got back from the first run, I decided to put off finishing the camper until like mid-Sept and instead have been building a privacy fence using reclaimed panels so I don't have to look at my scumbag neighbors any more. I put off the camper because when it is this hot and humid I make mistakes and with the camper the stuff I need to do now is the detailed stuff. With the fence, hey it doesn't have to be perfect and actually I'm pretty amazed at how well it is coming out. But 95 F with 90% humidity, every day by noon, for months on end, has just worn me down.

If I remember correctly, you are in Louisiana, so probably pretty similar there. It has been hitting the 90s here since March.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby noseoil » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:38 pm

Dave, worse for heat, not humidity. Tucson, where I live the high on Saturday this past weekend was 110, fortunately I stopped when it got "too warm" to work in the afternoon. I hear you about mistakes & the heat, you just can't think straight after a while....
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to General Discussion