Humor me!

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby Shrug53 » Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:15 am

OK, here is a black jetta with a black tear with chrome trim.

"Better living through reckless experimentation"
http://www.forgottenclassics.com
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby tdthinker » Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:21 am

I do think the kit would look better with your car. It just seems to some how "fit" the car.
Ryan
tdthinker
500 Club

Postby Chip » Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:32 am

that looks good Schrug,,just thinking out loud,,,try a road towed in black and chrome,,it is boxy and may fit the profile of the Jetta a little bit better,,,,maybee we need a pole

chip
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:11 am

I think you guys are right about the KIT style... It fits in with the Jetta pretty good. But the color... gee, I like the black one, but it's like an oven! It would have to be white or aluminum.

Here's a sad attempt to make it look aluminum...

And here's an attempt to make it look white...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! :D

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Shrug53 » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:18 am

Chip wrote:that looks good Schrug,,just thinking out loud,,,try a road towed in black and chrome,,it is boxy and may fit the profile of the Jetta a little bit better,,,,maybee we need a pole

chip

A what?
"Better living through reckless experimentation"
http://www.forgottenclassics.com
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby Chip » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:40 am

54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:47 am

Hey Shrug,
I think Chip meant a Road Toad.
What manipulation program are you using?
I just downloaded a free 2-D cad program and I'm like a kindergrtner all over again with this thing. :roll:
BTW I'm considering a radical design change for my trailer. Something that would require a different tow vehicle which would include hauling the canoe on the tow vehicle. That way, I won't have to make my trailer so darned long. Any suggestions on an easy to use cad program?

Postby mikeschn » Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:38 pm

You must have downloaded TurboCAD, eh? I don't think there's such a thing as an easy CAD program. They are all hard. You might consider getting a drawing program instead. Something like Corel Draw. You can get an older version on ebay very inexpensive!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:46 pm

Thanks Mike,
After making the suggestion to Cathy to check out Andrew's page earlier in this thread, I went back an studied some of his drawings and I gotta say, I'm in complete agreement with him on the Cub Modernistic being the nicest looking design. (All ellipses except the bottom)
Have you considered doing one of these with a pop-up to get the extra space you want?
I'm scrapping my behmouth canoe carrying design and I'm considering one of these with a pop-up.

PS TurboCadLE isn't offered anymore. I found one called CadStd by John Apperson.

BTW Is the Cub Modernistic/Modernaire the same trailer, or is that two different models? Who manufactures the new cub type?

Postby mikeschn » Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:17 pm

Hey Dean,

Sure it is... (still available). I emailed you the link.

As for the Cub, Modernistic, etc... yes they are all the same profile. Ellipses on every corner!

I have to try to find a photo I can put behind my Jetta to see how it looks! Does anyone have one that would work in the layout above?

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby angib » Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:24 pm

There you all go again - forgetting the Marville-Dwyer (or Marvel Dwyer) which is another incarnation of the Cub shape - possibly it's the original though that would need Grant to confirm.

And if you're gonna match the towcar to the tear, you'll be needing one of these:

Now, THAT's what I call a teardrop!

Oh, and no-one manufactures the 'New Cub' - it's just one of my drawings.

Andrew (you know, the one with wayyyy too much time on his hands...)
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:37 pm

Hey Andrew,

We need to get you hooked on Photoshop... just imagine the pictures you would come up with with that fertile imagination... (and waaayyy too much time) :lol:

You can see looking at this picture how badly I butchered it... but I think you get the idea...

So what looks better, the Cub or the Kit?

Mike...

mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Chip » Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:51 pm

Road Toad,,,,Rode towed,,highway amphibian,,a little more boxy wuld be best,,,

free .02$ worth

chip
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:53 pm

Thanks Guys,

Mike, It's downloading right now.... Looks like it's gonna take a while.
During my search last night, I kept getting refered back to the site that Andrew has listed and they don't offer it anymore.
I think the Cub looks better.

Andrew, So the Cub/Modernistic is your design, eh? Very Nice Ol' Chap!!! (Did that sound British enough?)
My whole reasoning to haul the canoe on the trailer, ruined the advantages of having a teardrop in the first place. So, I'm going to take your design and try to incorporate a pop-up with fold down clerestory windows on each end. My rear wall extension will be just in front of the rear hatch. My front wall extension will be at the same starting height as the rear one and I'll probably use the space in front of that for a closet and storage in the main body of the tear. I figure it will give me about 76" of interior lentgh for the pop-up. (Based on a 10' length x 4' height when pop-up is down and I'm planning on going 5' wide)
BTW when you talk about the design of the cub/modernistic, you go into great detail showing the four different ellipses. Then you say, This is how I think they did it. Who is they, the original designers from way back?
Last edited by Guest on Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby angib » Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:44 pm

Lest I am accused of plagiarism, let me try to explain - I have tried to work out what the Cub/Modernistic/Modernaire shape is (without ever having seen one in the metal) - I did not have anything to do with designing the original - my 'New Cub' design is a new design which copies the Cub etc shape but uses wood not metal for the construction.

Phew! And while discussing 'Ol' Chaps', I hope you lot have worked out the the bloke on the left is not me, but a popular British comedian in his World War 1 flying ace outfit, complete with silk scarf that flies horizontally in the slipstream, even on the ground.

Eazy, innit?

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion