Is the extra foot worth the extra money?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Is the extra foot worth the extra money?

Postby 2bits » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:23 pm

You mentioned that you hope to include a warm body at some point besides your dog, I would say a five wide is always the better choice, but if price is a major factor AND you are a committed bachelor, then a 4 wide will do for your purposes. Point being that meeting a nice gal and sharing an evening close together is always wonderful but after a certain period of time most couples (not all) prefer to be able to roll around and sleep without being intertwined. In my opinion, if you intend on keeping the camper you buy and you have any intention on having a long term relationship, get the 5 wide, you won't be thinking about the extra money you spent for it while you are both casually stretched out caddy corner sitting up playing cards inside with plenty of room to move. A 5 wide you can hang out in, a 4 wide, you sleep in. The posts about storage hold alot of weight too, Just being able to shove your guitar, bag of clothes or whatever in the corner is very helpful! I hope that helps!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby drewh1 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:40 pm

Sensible advice, thanks. I am pretty much convinced about the 5 wide. Right now I am leaning towards building my own. As I did deeper into the plans and building suggestions, I realize I can do it all. My only hesitation is the cabinets! I am sure I can get it figured out though. I feel like building is the only way to get what I really want.

drew.
"If only I knew what I know now when I started . . ."

My Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=56916
drewh1
Donating Member

Postby 2bits » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:17 am

drewh1 wrote:Sensible advice, thanks. I am pretty much convinced about the 5 wide. Right now I am leaning towards building my own. As I did deeper into the plans and building suggestions, I realize I can do it all. My only hesitation is the cabinets! I am sure I can get it figured out though. I feel like building is the only way to get what I really want.

drew.

I agree Drew! Plus building your own lets you build to your own skill level! I never built anything more than decks and shelves when I embarked on my build. Just remember that humans build cabinets, and you are human, so YOU CAN DO IT! :thumbsup:
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby drewh1 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:12 pm

IMG_2820.JPG
IMG_2820.JPG (147.92 KiB) Viewed 610 times

Hard to believe it has been three years already and yes, the extra foot is worth every penny.

Heading off for a two week trip to Oregon with new GF and our two dogs. We tried letting the dogs sleep in the TD but there is no way, so they sleep in the car now.

Hope everyone had a great summer, for me camping season is just beginning!
"If only I knew what I know now when I started . . ."

My Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=56916
drewh1
Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:19 pm

Good to see the final outcome. Now we need to see pictures from your trips.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:38 pm

There's a possibility that what you're really asking is whether you can use a 4x8' or 4x9' chassis and build out over the edges to get a 5 wide cabin. If that's what you want to know, then yes, you can. However. I would think it would be much easier and might even last longer if you use a 5 wide chassis to begin with. :thinking:

If you are talking about whether to build a 5 wide or a 4 wide cabin, build the 5 wide. Most likely, it'll be easier to sell as well as accommodating two people or one person and a bed-hog dog. Definitely, if you plan on two people and a dog, you need a 5 wide cabin. A 4 wide is only 9' bigger than a twin sized bed. In the summer, when it's hot and sweaty, you'll appreciate the extra room; and, in the winter, you can still cuddle with your dog or person if you want to. :roll:

While we're on the subject, also, put a door on both sides. You won't be sorry.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby 2bits » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:26 pm

S. Heisley wrote:There's a possibility that what you're really asking is.....

This is an update from a thread from 2013, thy camper is done :)

..."Hard to believe it has been three years already and yes, the extra foot is worth every penny"
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:37 pm

2bits wrote:
S. Heisley wrote:There's a possibility that what you're really asking is.....

This is an update from a thread from 2013, thy camper is done :)

..."Hard to believe it has been three years already and yes, the extra foot is worth every penny"

HaHaHa! You caught me! HaHaHa! Maybe I've read too many tnttt threads and should quit? Anyway.... Thanks, Thomas! Hope all is well with you and yours.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:44 pm

:thumbsup: Good for you, Slow. On choppy mountain roads, that truck camper may outperform your existing teardrop!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby jonw » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:18 pm

As stated above, 4 wide is fine for one person, but for most couples it's too small. The queen size bed in a 5 wide is a requirement (IMHO) as is 2 doors. The extra foot in the galley also makes a big difference.

I'm very glad I spent a little more in time and materials to make a 5 wide the first time...
jonw
Titanium Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:58 pm

The extra foot makes the difference in storing stuff full time in the tear or having to load it up each time. Go for the foot. :thumbsup:
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Previous

Return to General Discussion