Getting creative!

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Getting creative!

Postby Shrug53 » Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:03 pm

Well even though my house is not done, it is amazing what I have for the trailer already. I bought a heavy duty 4x9 utility trailer from a guy on Ebay, here in Phoenix, for 5 bucks. Then because I did not have a place to put it, I went and did some computer work for him (he had a virus it took me four hours to root out) and he agreed to not only store the trailer until the end of October but to deliver it to the new house as well. I traded a company logo design to a fellow in San Diego for a Coleman 40qt electric cooler. I also traded 1 days worth of html coding to a person in my apartment building for this great vintage propane stove (which is a built in type, sits down in the counter) and an RV sink.
Of course I traded an entire website for my 53 Chevy with which I will tow my trailer (as soon as I can find somebody to trade me some clutch work). It is amazing what you can do with no money if you really get creative.
By the way if anyone is interested in the progress of my house, you can see it on my web site under "Members Albums"
Hey if anyone has any extra stuff, clamps, tools, parts, whatever, that they would like to trade, drop me a note!
And remember never stop building just because you are broke. I have gotten used to it, I lost my job in L.A. when they sent my job off to India, and then I even lost my part time job here when the company shut down its telecommuting division. Well, time to be even more creative!
"Better living through reckless experimentation"
http://www.forgottenclassics.com
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:30 pm

Shrug,
The house is lookin' great! I can sure tell that you like the hot country.
Myself, I like it here on the Redwood Coast with it's mild climate. I guess you could call me a "Fog-Crawler."
Have you considered self-employment?
Why wait for the big dogs to call?

Postby Shrug53 » Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:13 pm

Been there, done that. I had a fairly successful web design business for several years. My clients started dropping off after 9/11 and they never came back. I still do a little design work here and there, but mostly for barter. I got my car and my wifes car both in trade for web sites. Luckily for us my wife alone makes more than the whole average family here in Phoenix.
Maybe once I get my MECP and my welding certifications (for which I will be starting school soon) I will be in demand again. Gee, gonna be the worlds oldest freshman!

But yeah, I love it here in Phoenix. I grew up in L.A. and lived in Memphis for a year and got to see the world right out of high school when I was in the service. The desert just holds a special beauty for me. The heat is not so bad. We had plenty of 100 degree days in L.A. and at least the air here is dry and clean. Besides, that's what A/C is for.

I even had the garage of our new house insulated and it has a window so if I ever wanted to, I could mount an A/C unit there.

My goal is to build and sell custom cars, even if it takes me 5 years to get there! Hey some of these old timers are up in thier 80's and still working.

Just need to keep my spirits up until then.
"Better living through reckless experimentation"
http://www.forgottenclassics.com
Shrug53
500 Club

Return to General Discussion