Shiny or Dull

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby DestinDave » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:56 pm

Steve...

In the boatyards we use a couple acid washes - ZING is one brand, EZ ON/EZ OFF is another - and both are available at most marine stores. I can verify that they will clean and brighten anodized aluminum but will dull mill aluminum. If left on too long however the metal will turn a chalky white on the surface. Both of these products are a weak mixture of muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid) and other solvents/cleaners. You could buy a gallon jug of muriatic at any hardware store or Home Depot and mix a 50/50 concentration and try it on a scrap piece of metal left over from your build. Normally we go to great lengths to avoid getting any acid on metals because boat owners get testy when we dull their shiny toys.

Dave
Reality? What a concept!
Building "The Salty Tear" - a photo log of the project.
http://www.bluezenphoto.com/p979644357
DestinDave
500 Club

Postby ralaco » Sat Nov 05, 2005 4:21 pm

Steve and all:

I don’t know if somebody had talk about this product in the past, if not, I think I find something that if it works like advertised I just hit the nail just on the head to preserve the aluminium skin in Teardrops, without polishing.

:twisted:

http://www.everbrite.net/

If somebody tries the product and works fine, please let me know as I’m still building my TD.

BTW the Company sells a TRIAL KIT, and the product isn’t very expensive. :)

In the site there are Testimonials about being used on Travel Trailer with astonishing results. :thumbsup:

Raul
ralaco
Teardrop Master

Postby randy chesnutt » Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:06 pm

dave, you got it that is what i would do if i want that dull look
randy chesnutt
Teardrop Master

Postby Dooner » Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:51 pm

Just a thought,...I used AC condensor coil cleaner on some old tarnished aluminum mag wheels and they came out clean and shiny (dull shine). Just sprayed it on and rinsed off. No work to it. I'm not sure this is what you want Steve, but it does do a great job of cleaning aluminum to a bright finish.
I also did not use the specified ratio. I think it was 4:1 and I used 2:1. I have even used it full strength on some coils as long as rinsing water was readily available. I don't rcommend that for a trailer the size of a teardrop. 2:1 would be better. Spray it on all over and keep it wet. Do not let any dry. Then rinse it off.
Oh yeah. Do it in the driveway. It will kill the grass.
I think a gallon of the condensor coil cleaner is around $15-$20.
:)
Dooner.
Image Image

TED NUGENT FOR PRESIDENT!
Dooner
Gold Donating Member

Postby SteveH » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:16 pm

Just an update....went and got some etching mag wheel cleaner becasue it was easy to get, cheap, and I have some experience with it. Tested it on a piece of scrap and it looks like the product I want to use. Now, all I have to do is go do it. I'll take some pictures before and after and post them for anyone that may be interested.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby madjack » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:30 pm

I know I'll be lookin' for 'em Steve...good luck on geting the look/finish you want, 'cause I am thinking along the same line
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Re: Shiny or Dull

Postby jimqpublic » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:54 am

SteveH wrote:...The aluminum on Avion trailers and some of the old Silver Streak trailers was a dull finish and I don't think it had a clear coat, but as always, I could be wrong....

Avions were a dull anodized finish. The nice thing is they're low maintenance.
Jim
2002 Chalet Arrowhead but always wanted a Teardrop
2 kids and a Dear Wife
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimqpublic
jimqpublic
The 300 Club

OK, I tried it

Postby SteveH » Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:13 pm

Well while doing some general clean-up and painting after a season's use, I dedcided to try the mag wheel cleaner on the teardrop aluminum. Here's a before and after photo of a really bad spot on the trailer that was stained from water overflowing from the water inlet.

After cleaning
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Hardin Valley Magic » Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:19 pm

wow Steve thats a heck of a diffence.looks like it worked quite well.Are you doing the whole exterior ? Was it a "spray it on and rinse off" deal? :thinking:
aka Steven D.
Hardin Valley Magic
Donating Member

Postby SteveH » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:11 pm

Steven,

Yes, I've done the whole trailer. The stuff I used is etching mag wheel cleaner for cast wheels..not polished. You just spray it on and then rinse it off. It has a mild acid in it. Easy enough for even me to do. ;)

Now I probably need to find some sort of wax or sealer to keep it from getting too tarnished again. Anyone have any ideas?
SteveH
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby ralaco » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:41 pm

SteveH

Good job :thumbsup:

As I said:

http://www.everbrite.net/

I think this will seal it very well and it doesn’t change the shinning or dull finish, and is easy to reapply in the future about every four years, this in accordance with the manufacturer advertising.

Raul :twisted:
Last edited by ralaco on Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ralaco
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:59 pm

Steve...looks like the stuff worked out for ya :thumbsup:

Raul...that looks to be a good solution to the sealing problem...good find, thanks for posting the link :applause:
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby ralaco » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:37 pm

SteveH

Look at this product information and also the video. :thumbsup:

http://www.5starshine.com/

This product looks good also.

Raul

:twisted:
ralaco
Teardrop Master

Postby ralaco » Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:26 am

Here are some questions and answers about 5 Star Shine protecting the TD aluminum skin.

Q.- Does your product can be used to protect an RV with an Aluminum and S.S. skin?

A.- Our product can be used on aluminum and stainless steel. It will last on these areas, as it will bond. You would complete the same steps over these areas as you would on paint.
5 Star Shine
"Never Wax Your Car Again!"
http://www.5starshine.com

Q.- When you said “It will last on these areas, as it will bond” you meant you don’t know how long does it last over aluminum and S.S., or that could last less than over paint?

A.- I'm saying that since aluminum and stainless steel are non porous surfaces, it will bond properly, just as it will on painted areas.
5 Star Shine
"Never Wax Your Car Again!"
http://www.5starshine.com

Raul

This means 5 years protection, with 5 years guaranty.

:twisted: :thumbsup:
ralaco
Teardrop Master

Aluminum "Satin dull" but clean look

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:25 pm

Steve, Last fall I saw an extremely clean looking tear with a satin finish. It looked even and very well done. I asked how he got it to look that way and the owner said:, WD-40. I never would have thought of that. He said just rub the aluminum down with "Wheel Magic" (mag cleaner), get it as clean as possible and then wipe on a thin film of WD 40. My tear looks a lot better and the maintenance is a snap.
We'll see how it holds up over the winter, but it looked good when I put it away.

Good Luck , ;)
Kurt (Indiana)
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion