The Perceived "High Prices" of Mfgd. and Custom-built TDs

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: The Perceived "High Prices" of Mfgd. and Custom-built TD

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:39 pm

My X-II is currently on the market, and I got a call at lunch time from someone who must have been driving by my house and stopped to check it out. First thing she asked was how much I wanted for it. I told her what I was asking, and she immediately got this questionable tone in her voice as she said "You want what?? Does it pop up or what? What else comes with it??"

I just laughed (to myself) and calmly went over the laundry list of features and gadgets. Even after that, she said that my asking price was way too high. Just for more laughs, I wanted to ask her to make me an offer because I knew it wouldn't even come close. Instead, I politely thanked her for her inquiry and told her to have a nice day.

Some people think that just because they are small that they are cheap. Oh well, I have no problem hanging on to it for what she probably would have offered. :thumbsup:
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby oakinteriors1 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:48 pm

Hay guys..have been a cabinet maker (self employed) for 30 + yrs...and the material times 3 is a standard base price in this field..... keep track of your time in building one and see how much per hour you would hope to make if you sold it...But like anything else mass production would cut the cost somewhat..
oakinteriors1
Silver Donating Member

Postby cherokeegeorge » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:55 pm

I purchased my Camp-Inn 8 years ago, Spent a little over 12 grand for it and havn't regreted it for a minute. I've towed it over 15,000 miles and have over 350 nights in it, It's held up beautifully, No leaks and only minor tweaking. I couldn't be more pleased with the craftsmanship and the company itself. Not to mention all these Teardrop manufactures are small business owners building products here in America. I own a small manufacturing business and build thing out of wood all day long and chose to buy because I recognized quality.

As for the resale value, I'm dead serious I think i could get back most of what i payed for it new. Obviously there prices have gone up in 8 years and they have a 6 month waiting list. Just as Kit or Benroy's are considered classics, who to say in 50 years Camp-inn wont be.

I've camped with hundreds of Teardroppers and their's no better peeps to camp with, Whether you build your own or buy a manufactured or rebuild a classic. Who cares, camp in what you like. when your in a tear your buying into a lifestyle :thumbsup:
George

For info on hitch covers
Teardrophitchcovers.com
cherokeegeorge
A Merkin Indian

Postby Nicolathecat » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:20 am

Honestly resale value is not a top priority for me. I want a teardrop that with some love and care can be passed down to my daughter and then her daughter. I want a teardrop that is made to be loved and made to last. To me that kind of quality is worth spending money on. Truly I think it comes down to what you value and what you are willing to spend on it.

Again I say bravo to those with the skills and time to build their own. :thumbsup: Since I am not one of those people I will happily pay someone else to make one for me and thank them as I pay.
"An Zhi Fei Fu"
Who could have guessed it was a blessing in disguise?
-Chinese proverb

Nicolathecat
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to General Discussion