Pre-build must haves checklist

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Pre-build must haves checklist

Postby STLcamper » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:16 pm

I am currently getting my act together to build a TD and don't want to be paralyzed by all the pre-build decisions to be made. I think I have nailed down my preference on wall, floor, and roof construction. I've got a tilt trailer that needs some mods. I've got my side profile determined. SO other than fleshing out the drawings to build it, what items do I need to have in hand prebuild? I'm thinking my hurricane hinge, air conditioner, fridge, fenders, and stove are it. How naïve am I being here? Also, I'm having a heck of a time finding a petcool or similar type of portable a/c. Where do you find these things?

Thanks!

David
STLcamper
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Pre-build must haves checklist

Postby tony.latham » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:16 pm

Well... how about wiring stuff? Are you asking for a tool list? I'd not want to build again without a 1/4" crown stapler... and then there's Steve Fredrick's Shop Manual. Google around on this forum for that. I used Frank Bear's doors. They're a bit spendy but when I put 'em in, the thought that shot through my grey-matter was, "gawd, that was easy." And I like 'em. So if you're building your own doors, you'll need the hardware.

One of the challenges, for me, was keeping ahead of my material needs. Stuff I couldn't pick up at the local hardware or lumber yard. Vent fan, battery tray, 12V outlets, etc, etc, etc.

For me, it was a great journey. And I lost weight.

TL
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby 48Rob » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:41 pm

David,

The journey ahead of you will be fun and exciting! :thumbsup:

However, it is wise not to get too far ahead of yourself buying supplies.
Better to get your plans nailed down.
Once you have your plan, on paper or in your head, you can spend time looking for and buying the supplies you really need, instead of buying things you think you might need because the building bug has bit you and you just want to do SOMETHING!

The weights and sizes of needed items, like A/C, fridge, etc. can be found online and you can use them to pre plan several steps ahead to be sure everything will work together.
It is too easy to buy an item, and then have to rework the plan because it conflicts with something else.
If none of this makes sense, it is okay, it will in time.

Rob...who has supplies he bought but found would not work...
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby rand_98201 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:38 am

Here is an A/C unt idea for you when youre ready.I just ran across it and figured I would pass it along.....http://www.climaterightair.com/rv-trail ... nd-heating
rand_98201
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:25 am

Now isn't that interesting, note the similarity between

Image and 80999

More than twice what I paid to modify and existing AC
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Andrew Herrick » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:57 pm

This is an old thread, but I remember reading this post when I began building, so here's hoping it helps the next guy ...

While I agree that it's best to not purchase too many materials before starting a build, I would choose your doors, windows, fans, A/C's, fridges, propane tanks, plumbing tanks, and any major appliances BEFORE you build. You don't have to purchase them, but know their sizes! Also, don't assume you'll find a drawer slide to fit any depth of cabinet (you won't). I also found it helpful to plan out and purchase all my plumbing and electrical fixtures, receptacles and junction boxes before building the interior cabinetry. Trying to properly run wiring through prebuilt cabinetry is a nightmare! And it was an exercise in contortionism trying to get my hand tools back in those small corners :x

Just remember, you're on "teardrop time"! You'll spend half your time on Amazon and McMaster Carr, and that's the name of the game. Good luck, and enjoy the road :)
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Return to General Discussion