Ham Radio and TearDrops

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Ham Radio and TearDrops

Postby ai4kk » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:13 pm

I've been a ham for 20 years or so but got burned out during all the storms we had about 10 years ago (I worked every storm to hit FL plus 2 trips to Katrina-landand in fact my original interest in building a teardrop was to have a comfortable place to sleep in a disaster zone) and have been almost completely inactive since the death of my youngest son Joshua, KI4NGO. Now that I'm settled in my new career of nursing, a direct result of my trip to New Orleans and subsequently joining the local DMAT, I and my roommate Eric KG4CJV, son Stefan KI4 JTA and I are planning a portable station that we can take teardropping with us.
Guess it would help if I got some radios again :)

Gene, aI4KK
Gene
ai4kk
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Hippie Bear » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:24 pm

I am trying to finish my TD build in time for the Orlando Ham Fest, not sure if I will get it done with all the rain here. You can look for me on 147.42 simplex at the ham fest. Other times on the KC2UFO repeater Echolink 302025 or IRLP 4227.

73 de K4UZM Hippie Bear
Hippie Bear
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Hippie Bear » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:29 pm

I was just thinking, how about a Tear Drop Net? HF, EchoLink or DMR ?

73 again, De K4UZM Hippie Bear
Hippie Bear
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Hippie Bear » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:53 pm

cq cq cq de k4uzm
hippie bear
Hippie Bear
Teardrop Inspector

Postby AZ_Desert_Rat » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:14 pm

working on it wrote:Coincidently, I just returned from a shopping outing to replace my lost multi-meter (and other stuff), and while looking at auto electronics at Wal-mart, I saw an inexpensive CB radio. I haven't seen one in years, and last used one in '78???. So, I was thinking about whether or not the addition of one to my camping/travelling gear would be desirable. My thoughts were about gathering info when out of cellphone range, and the ease of use I remember from the '70s. I also remember needing some directions (no cellphones or GPS back then), in unfamiliar country in West Texas, when lost at night and running low on gas- while some young girls were drowning out everyone, singing "Convoy" over and over and over, on a linear (I pulled my CB from its' slide-mount and tossed into the back seat-where it stayed until I sold the car). I researched here about CBs and Teardropping, and found only negative comments. Basically, go HAM or go home. So now I am starting to research either FRS (also mentioned in the posts, but more favorably) or Ham radio. I'd like to possibly get in just a little way and cheaply if possible, to Ham radio.

Hi working on it,
There are quite a few TD owners that frequently travel to campgrounds and use CB's to chat back and forth... :)
I found my old CB from the 70's and after I check it out, am thinking about putting it in my TV. In addition, if I ever get off my duff, I'll mount a dual band FM Ham radio in the trailer and in the TV... I can chat to the XYL while out walking on my HT... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

See my previous post... I built a couple nice Dual Band (2m/70cm) antennas (Similar to the ARROW) and plan to use a tire mount (park trailer on base) and poke it up in the air...

73's and good luck on the radio mount
Call Sign Withheld
Happy Camping & Building,
John (JC)

The Arizona Desert Rat 6x10' Cargo Conversion

The FunFinder a 19' Toy Hauler

An AZ Desert Transplant
Gallery: gallery/album.php?album_id=3168
AZ_Desert_Rat
500 Club

Postby working on it » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:26 pm

AZ_Desert_Rat wrote:Hi working on it,There are quite a few TD owners that frequently travel to campgrounds and use CB's to chat back and forth... :)
I found my old CB from the 70's and after I check it out, am thinking about putting it in my TV. In addition, if I ever get off my duff, I'll mount a dual band FM Ham radio in the trailer and in the TV... I can chat to the XYL while out walking on my HT... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

See my previous post... I built a couple nice Dual Band (2m/70cm) antennas (Similar to the ARROW) and plan to use a tire mount (park trailer on base) and poke it up in the air...

73's and good luck on the radio mount
Call Sign Withheld
Funny thing, coincidences....I was just looking up my old post concerning Ham radio and CB usage, when I saw this response from you, two years after my post. I had been thinking about getting a hand-held again (primarily for emergency use, power outages, NOAA weather, etc) and had even started to take practice tests, again (I'm still getting about 5 wrong answers). The deja vu factor pops up considering that I was going to contact a fellow camper who got me interested in the first place, Texas Bill, to tell him I was interested once more. I recently learned of his passing, having not seen him in almost 2 years, Very sad. But, although I haven't camped since then (when Bill graciously tuned the SWR of my CB installation, at Beaver's Bend), I was going to try to get back into camping and join him in amateur radio. A day late, a dollar short, as usual for me.... Hardly ever go anywhere now, a year after I retired, mainly for my health (my knees and back, overworked!!). Projects at home have sidelined me further, but I'm going to get the radio, then the license, then maybe take a trip or two. Thanks for your interest, AZ.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby AZ_Desert_Rat » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:27 pm

Howdy working on it,
I am installing my old Kenwood (TM-V7A's) dual band mobiles (Often called the "cool-blue" because of the blue LCD Readout); one in the truck and the other in the trailer. I bought these some years back to talk with my Dad and wife... Dad went silent key a few years ago and I'm just getting back on the radio. I bought a little Icom dual band handheld along about the same time for prospecting. When prospecting alone, I would set the Kenwood in the old Blazer to cross-band mode. I would set the mobile to 2m to contact the closest major repeater about 25 miles away on top of a mountain and the other band to 70cm to contact my handheld... I would usually park the Blazer on a high spot and I could wander way off in a canyon to get help if needed... ;)
You guessed it, the cell wouldn't get out... :(

I got away from the CB's when I went Ham, but decided to hook it back up to talk with other trailers and truckers when on the road... So, to antennas to put on the truck... :thumbsup:

73's and keep studying, you'll make it... :applause: :applause:
Happy Camping & Building,
John (JC)

The Arizona Desert Rat 6x10' Cargo Conversion

The FunFinder a 19' Toy Hauler

An AZ Desert Transplant
Gallery: gallery/album.php?album_id=3168
AZ_Desert_Rat
500 Club

Postby Sparksalot » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:11 pm

CD, CQ, CQ...
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby stupido » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:02 pm

I started on a small trailer dedicated to amateur radio but got side tracked. It was not to be a camper but was to be a portable battery/solar power plant with a field desk. Still hope to restart it.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=71388
stupido
Teardrop Builder

Postby Modstock » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:47 pm

I was camping up near Payson and saw a group of guys having a amateur radio get together. One guy had a really impressive trailer with a massive antenna that folds up. They said they were able to reach New Zealand that day.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Sparksalot » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:56 am

stupido wrote:I started on a small trailer dedicated to amateur radio but got side tracked. It was not to be a camper but was to be a portable battery/solar power plant with a field desk. Still hope to restart it.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=71388

I’ll check it out!
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby Sparksalot » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:58 am

Modstock wrote:I was camping up near Payson and saw a group of guys having a amateur radio get together. One guy had a really impressive trailer with a massive antenna that folds up. They said they were able to reach New Zealand that day.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

They must have been set up for field day. An emergency preparedness event. I’ve reached New Zealand and Australia on much more modest antennas.

Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby stupido » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:19 pm

I did Class 1E this year. Still have to submit. It was interesting. A bit more difficult than last year with all the big stations. Also I had issues with my batteries so I ended up going off my solar charged batteries to other batteries. Hence I did not get my 5 natural power contacts for the bonus :(
stupido
Teardrop Builder

Postby Sparksalot » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:34 am

stupido wrote:I did Class 1E this year. Still have to submit. It was interesting. A bit more difficult than last year with all the big stations. Also I had issues with my batteries so I ended up going off my solar charged batteries to other batteries. Hence I did not get my 5 natural power contacts for the bonus :(

If you used them for part of it, I’d still claim the points.

Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Previous

Return to General Discussion