Ham Radio and TearDrops

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Ham Radio and TearDrops

Postby captbobh2o2004 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:28 pm

I would like to talk with any other Tear Drop folks that have Ham Gear in their Tear Drops. I have combined two of my hobbies and installed "Ham Gear" in my little camper. 73's KD4HCR
captbobh2o2004
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Ham Radio and TearDrops

Postby Greg M » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:23 pm

I haven't put any gear in my teardrop, but I do take it out to field day most years.

-Greg. VE7GJM
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Postby working on it » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:00 pm

Coincidently, I just returned from a shopping outing to replace my lost multi-meter (and other stuff), and while looking at auto electronics at Wal-mart, I saw an inexpensive CB radio. I haven't seen one in years, and last used one in '78???. So, I was thinking about whether or not the addition of one to my camping/travelling gear would be desirable. My thoughts were about gathering info when out of cellphone range, and the ease of use I remember from the '70s. I also remember needing some directions (no cellphones or GPS back then), in unfamiliar country in West Texas, when lost at night and running low on gas- while some young girls were drowning out everyone, singing "Convoy" over and over and over, on a linear (I pulled my CB from its' slide-mount and tossed into the back seat-where it stayed until I sold the car). I researched here about CBs and Teardropping, and found only negative comments. Basically, go HAM or go home. So now I am starting to research either FRS (also mentioned in the posts, but more favorably) or Ham radio. I'd like to possibly get in just a little way and cheaply if possible, to Ham radio.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby jss06 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:33 pm

Howdy, The Technician Class test is pretty easy for a HAM license no Morse Code required. You can get some inexpensive basic 2m and 70 cm gear to get started. For a teardrop you can use a j-pole antenna as it does not need a ground plane. (Look up Copper Cactus)

I use a Kenwood TH-72A DualBand Handy Talky and an MFJ amplifier for mobile operations in the 2M/70CM bands. I can easily take it out when I go hiking or just hanging around the camp site. I have a copper J-pole for campground use.

I am still working on how to put a HF rig in the trailer. Maybee a Elecraft KX3 connected to a Rasberry Pie for digital comms and email. Will need to play with it some to keep power usage low.
jss06
Palladium Donating Member

Postby working on it » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:26 pm

jss06 wrote:Howdy, The Technician Class test is pretty easy for a HAM license no Morse Code required. You can get some inexpensive basic 2m and 70 cm gear to get started. For a teardrop you can use a j-pole antenna as it does not need a ground plane. (Look up Copper Cactus)

I use a Kenwood TH-72A DualBand Handy Talky and an MFJ amplifier for mobile operations in the 2M/70CM bands. I can easily take it out when I go hiking or just hanging around the camp site. I have a copper J-pole for campground use.

I am still working on how to put a HF rig in the trailer. Maybee a Elecraft KX3 connected to a Rasberry Pie for digital comms and email. Will need to play with it some to keep power usage low.
After I read your post, I immediately took a practice test online (I have absolutely no idea of any FCC rules or tech talk or radio lingo). I scored 60% (not good enough to pass), but better than I thought I=I would do. I also looked up "mobile ham radio transceivers", and found that IF I get a license, they are not much more expensive than what I spent on CBs back in the day (probably much less in comparison of pricing then and today). Still interested, especially since I found a chart of relative transmittal range of various amateur radio types:
average_radio_range_base_base_2.jpg
average_radio_range_base_base_2.jpg (53.88 KiB) Viewed 4010 times
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby jseyfert3 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:58 am

KC9MHF here. Got my general class but didn't do much with it, have only made a couple contacts on 40M SSb with an old Kenwood and one contact on 2M one time while I was driving. That contact was with a 5W Yaesu handheld through a 5/8 wave whip magnetic antenna on the rood of my car to a repeater about 45-60 minutes drive south of me. So yes, you don't need much to get started.

This summer I'm going to have some free time and I'll be staying with my brother who has his ham license and enjoys projects like I do...probably a recipe for at least some ham radio usage.

I've always wanted to contact the ISS. Using a ham satellite would be a cool way to make a contact too. Also would like to try digital HF.

Raspberry PI for digital comms, hmm... :thinking:
jseyfert3
Teardrop Master

Postby Sparksalot » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:18 am

Teardrops and ham radio? Never tried it.

Kidding. I take a QRP HF almost every time. I had a QSO with W9IMS one May a few years ago on 20m. The guy on the mic about bugged out when I told him I was QRP portable. I use a Hustler vertical with resonators for 10-40m.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby jss06 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:46 am

Working On It, I don't know where in the Metromess you live, but I have the tech class prep maual if you want it. You can find test sesions on almost any weekend somewhere in the area. I live up in Carrolloton near the 35E/121 interchange.

PM me if you are interested.

73 KF5QBY
jss06

Postby Midget » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:45 am

KB6LJM

I've had a Technician license for many years. I originally got mine because my dad had always wanted one and wouldn't do it alone. We took the Novice test and 5wpm and then a year later got Technician. He went ahead and got his General but I could never afford the equipment. I have a Kenwood TM-221a mounted in my Bronco which we use when we're off road. I rarely take it with us when were out and about with the midget. I keep my license up to date in case I want to do more later.

Bob
Midget
Teardrop Master

Postby Mary C » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:56 pm

I have a strange question can the FCC give out the same license if you have had it and it lapsed? Ya'l have me thinking about it again, it has been 20 years since I was licensed. If I don't watch out I will try to take the test again. If I do I will get it down all the way to Da Da dit dIt.

Mary C. :lady:
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jss06 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:12 pm

Mary C wrote:I have a strange question can the FCC give out the same license if you have had it and it lapsed? Ya'l have me thinking about it again, it has been 20 years since I was licensed. If I don't watch out I will try to take the test again. If I do I will get it down all the way to Da Da dit dIt.

Unfortunately you will have to retest and you will get a new call sign. Good news is no more code requirement in the test.
jss06

Postby Mary C » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:28 pm

I would hope I could have my old call sign maybe I will ask, I know it has been a while but it was a novice call sign, I got it in 1986 i think. I got to tech, but with my husbands death i didn't think I would ever use it again. or really want too.

Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby citylights » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:29 pm

I belong to two off-road clubs. One uses CB, the other FHRS. They are in the tow vehicle, not the teardrop.

CB is just about useless outside of a convoy. Just too much nonsense chatter. Inside a convoy, it's not bad, just turn the squelch all the way up and only your buddy a mile or closer can blast through. For cheap and easy, check this out!

http://www.walcottcb.com/cobra-75wxst-remote-cb-weather-radio-p-520.html

That is the one I have and it works amazingly well for such a small package.

The FHRS radios are much improved over the CBs with digital privacy channels. They work well even in crowded areas with the privacy channels. The down side is the requirement for being "portable" and no permanent power or antenna.
citylights
500 Club

Postby Midget » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:09 pm

Mary C.
The FCC does have a program where you can get a customized call sign. You may be able to get you're old one reassigned. As long as you're still in the same region and it hasn't been reassigned.

Bob
Midget
Teardrop Master

Postby GerryS » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:26 pm

I just bought a new rig after about 15 years of being away from the hobby (still have my original ID). Man, the 2 meter band has gotten quiet. :(. I find this out after I buy a new dual bander.....The repeater I call home has a MASSIVE footprint....easily an hour driving in any direction....and it's quiet...

So depressing....
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Next

Return to General Discussion