Ham Radio and TearDrops

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Ham Radio and TearDrops

Postby jseyfert3 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:43 pm

Mary C wrote:I would hope I could have my old call sign maybe I will ask, I know it has been a while but it was a novice call sign, I got it in 1986 i think. I got to tech, but with my husbands death i didn't think I would ever use it again. or really want too.

Mary C. :lady:

Mary, go to the FCC license lookup. Type in your old callsign and hit search. If it's been assigned to someone else, as I have a feeling it has been, you won't be able to get it. If it's not assigned to someone else, perhaps you can request it.

You can use that page to look up other ham operators by their callsigns, FRN, or name. Note that this is publicly searchable. Anyone can type in a callsign to look up, and they can see the name and address of the person it belongs to, as well as type (ham radio in this case), class, issue and expiration date. Speaking of which, looking up my callsign I notice my address is out of date, I need to update that.
jseyfert3
Teardrop Master

Postby Mary C » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:53 pm

Thanks, according to that search it has not been assigned. yep yep I will have to go take the test.............

Mary C. :lady:
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby cuyeda » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:18 am

What I was actually hoping to see are photos of how you incorporate ham radio installations into your teardrops or trailers. What antenna systems you use, and what methods you use for portable antenna supports. Preferably attachments using your teardrop. Perhaps this should be a separate thread. I previously worked in the amateur radio division for 20 years for Kenwood, and been to Dayton each year. I've seen and have done some incredible stuff! I submitted a proposal to build a teardrop decked out as command post, but that never happened.

:thumbsup: :pictures:
Why just dance, when you can Salsa!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby jss06 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:18 am

I have some good ideas but have not built out the interior of my trailer yet. I do have some places on my my frame that were purposely built to attach accessories. I plan on building an antenna mount to use one of those. Just need to make sure the mast will colapsoe down far enough to fit inside the trailer.
jss06
Palladium Donating Member

Postby K7MXE » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:02 pm

For entry level ham gear the folks in China make some real low cost two meter/440 handhelds. Try a search for Baofeng on Amazon and 30 plus bucks will get you on the air. Thats affordable for most. Old callsigns can be applied for with a small fee and its called the vanity program. I plan on using my KX3 when the TD project is finished. Bob K7MXE Eatonville Wa
K7MXE
Teardrop Inspector

Postby captbobh2o2004 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:54 pm

Wow! some great replies, I have been a ham from 1955. for folks just thinking about it. I say Do it it's a great hobby, I plan to work as many stations as I can on my 3000 mile trip in May. I will post the freq's in a later post as it gets closer to my depart. time. Don't let the FCC test stop you. Lots of study books aval. and lots of help if you ask. also some good sites to look for used gear. feel free to E Mail me for more info. So far I have installed my gear on a side wall (inside) next to the door so I can sit outside of the"Tear" and run the station. I use an antenna call a Ham stick. Hope to work you on the bands soon. KD4HCR
captbobh2o2004
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GerryS » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:51 pm

Ant the tests really aren't that hard. You obviously can't walk in cold and pass, but they aren't too scary. A lot of clubs have classes too, which is great because your first QSO (conversation) is my quite as scary if you know who you are talking too...
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby working on it » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:05 pm

Got some projects needing my limited time (because of 70+ hours at work every week), so I am not quite ready to jump in yet. But, can I get gear to just tune in, and get the drift of the ham community?
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby eamarquardt » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:33 pm

I don't think that anyone has mentioned that all the questions on the FCC tests are available for study before hand.

Here's a link to where you can get them: http://www.arrl.org/question-pools

It just doesn't get any easier, IMHO, to pass a test than to have all the questions and answers ahead of time!

Still stuff happens. When I took my Extra Class exam I had the material down pat. I went to an exam session, took the test, and they graded it. They said I failed. I, politely, explained that there was NFW that I failed the test (emphasis on F). Anyway they then used the right answer key to grade my test. I then got kind of a funny look from the trio of examiners. I don't think they'd ever seen anyone ace the test before!

Cheers,

Gus
AB6KS
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby eamarquardt » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:34 pm

working on it wrote:Got some projects needing my limited time (because of 70+ hours at work every week), so I am not quite ready to jump in yet. But, can I get gear to just tune in, and get the drift of the ham community?

Yes you can buy anything you like. Just don't key the transmitter.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby pmowers » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:34 pm

KK4ZRK here.

I just took my Technician, then went ahead and took the General, passing both, I thought about going on for the extra. A license is good for 10 years. If it expires you have 2 years to renew before you have to retake the exams. Costs to get started are minimal, I think that I paid $60 for a dual band handheld, mike, programming cable and a 5/8 wave antenna off of Amazon. This is a far cry from when I originally thought about getting into amateur radio, which was either military surplus or $500-600 (or both). The tests are mostly common sense, and short (35 questions). I have to echo the comments of others who recommend attending a class offered by a local Ham club. It reduces the anxiety level and helps you meet others with a similar interest. I took the class because the hospital I work for needed licensed hams to operate radio communications in the event of a disaster. Many of the Red Cross branches in our area offer the tests. The cost to take the exam is normally $15 and you can take as many levels as you wish.

I plan on setting up some equipment in my CT along with an antenna when I'm camping. There are whole forums on Ham Radio and Camping over on some of the ham sites, although they predominantly deal with RVs.

Pat
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Build log:http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=51193
pmowers
Donating Member

Postby cuyeda » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:40 pm

Hah! After reading a few of these interest responses... A wild idea came to mind. Work as many mobile amateur radio teardrops as you can! A specially designed QSL card could be exchanged for the confirmation.
Why just dance, when you can Salsa!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby captbobh2o2004 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:55 am

cuyeda wrote:Hah! After reading a few of these interest responses... A wild idea came to mind. Work as many mobile amateur radio teardrops as you can! A specially designed QSL card could be exchanged for the confirmation.

You Got! read my subject on this site. That's my plan in May over a 3000 mile trip. Will be working a lot on 10 meters so the "Tech" folks can get in on the action. Hope to work you 73's KD4HCR Capt Bob
captbobh2o2004
Teardrop Advisor

Postby captbobh2o2004 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:34 am

Just about done with installing my Ham station in the Tear, I see in the Blog some folks asking about antennas for the Tears. I built a fold down mount.( you can buy them,E Mail me for more info) It works great and with the antenna down I can get my cover on the Tear. As for the antenna I went with a "Ham Stick" but Hustler sells a very nice Mobile and all the mounts. If your just getting started feel free to E Mail me for info. "Get Radio Active" KD4HCR
captbobh2o2004
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Gold5one » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:34 pm

I got back into ham radio about 12 years ago and I have an extra class license. I'm going to incorporate a ham operating station into my camper- My wife would be happy to see me move one of my transceivers into a camper and get it out of the family room. The antenna will be the tricky part- for HF bands I'll need a fold over vertical antenna ( w/tuner) and weld a bracket of some sorts to the frame for the base.
Mark
"the slow road has the most adventure"
Mark

2022- Trek Freedom camper- journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74522

Weekender-XL build journal
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=61445
sold-2018
Gold5one
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion