door screens

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

door screens

Postby beverlyt » Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:13 pm

We just got back from a rustic night of camping on a friends 80 acres of wilderness.
The day was warm but there was a nice breeze blowing. I noticed though that one didn't get a good breeze through the tear during the day with just the windows and vent opened.
Bob was thinking of making some sort of "screen doors" in the exact shape of the doors and velcro them to the inside if needed.
Anyone done anything like that?
Or maybe some sort of just screening that is attached somehow to the doorway while open?
Thanks!
Bev
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby Spook » Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:22 pm

You could make it like a curton. Get some of the fabric screening, attached at the top and velcroed on the sides.
Spook - Ball Ground, Georgia
Spook
Teardrop Builder

Postby ALAN GEDDES » Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:18 pm

I am going to cut down some old aluminum screens to fit in doors and probably use velcro to hold in place. My windows are not in the doors o this will give lots of ventilation. Alan
Alan
ALAN GEDDES
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tdthinker » Sun Aug 01, 2004 11:08 pm

You could get some of those double hinges like the bigger rv screen doors. It hold the door and the screen door all on one big set of hinges yet skinny enough for a trailers walls.
Ryan
tdthinker
500 Club

Postby tdhombre » Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:58 am

Most good hardware stores will make custom aluminum screen frames to any size. Check that possibility out as well as various options for attaching the screens (probably on the inside of the doors.) There are a variety of ways that might work including "z" moulded aluminum.

Good luck.........
tdhombre
Teardrop Advisor

Postby DANL » Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:05 pm

Hi Beverly,

Some years back I did just what you described. My pickup topper has a side-hinged rear door instead of the usual swing up hatch. I used nylon screen and Velcro around the edges and applied the other part of the Velcro to the inside of the door. when I slept in the topper on warm evenings, I simply put the screen in place and when not using it I rolled it up and stored it away.

The only problem is that peeling Velcro in the middle of the night in a populated campground when you need to step outside for you know what is enough to wake the whole place.

It you do make a Velcro screen, remember to put the fuzzy part on the door frame otherwise you will be grabbed by the hook part every time you use the door.
The tiny trailer in the avatar is designed to carry our recumbents and sometimes sleep in. We LOVE having a kitchen in the woods and a place for most of our gear.
Dan Jones http://sunsetlanding.com/teardrop/teardrop_intro.html
DANL
Donating Member

Postby shil » Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:54 pm

Velcro works well. We had a velcro screen on the companionway of an old sailboat.
shil
Donating Member

Return to General Discussion