Attached awnings /rooms etc....

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby doug hodder » Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:18 am

Good point Guy....I'm thinking that I can make wings like Kevin has on his and use a velcro attachment on the bottom edge of the hatch so that I can just pull the velcro at night, leave the room standing and drop the hatch...the wings on the hatch will remain attached...just folded up and stuffed inside...they will attach with snaps similar to a boat cover...and it probably won't be an enclosed room...more like an awning with a side or 2 that is also velcro attached....I can either put the walls up or leave them off....as far as poles go....what ever I can find...it's pretty much in the rough sketching stages right now....Thanks everyone for your replies...lots of good ideas....Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Re: Think about the hatch attachment

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:33 pm

Guy wrote:Dear Doug,

If you attach to the hatch, what happens when you close the hatch because of those big bears in the Redwoods. They will walk all over your top of your enclosure.
Are you going to use Carbon fiber or Aluminum poles?

Hey Guys,
This is a great thread!!!
Being that I live in bear country, I would go with something that would allow you to close the hatch at night. We do have black bear around here, but they are what I would call more of a nuisance instead of a threat. They're just lookin' for grub...
In all my years of camping around here, I've never had a bear come into my campground. I have had a couple of up close encounters while backpacking. I just banged a couple of pans together and they took off.
On all other encounters with bear around here, they took off on a dead gallop as soon as they detected my presence.
A little common sense, putting all food away at night would be the best deterrant against getting an up close encounter with a bear. (IMO)

Postby kurtibm » Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:51 pm

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/thimsteardrop/detail?.dir=5da0&.dnm=ff53.jpg&.src=ph

I like this one as it mounts to the tear & it appears that not too awful much external paraphernalia is necessary - it also appears that the hatch would be independent of the awning/room. Nice design.

kurt
It is not the years in your life that matter, it's the life in your years.
kurtibm
Donating Member

Postby Joseph » Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:57 am

kurtibm wrote:I like this one as it mounts to the tear & it appears that not too awful much external paraphernalia is necessary - it also appears that the hatch would be independent of the awning/room. Nice design.

It looks like it's on backwards! It's supposed to give you cover outside your tear, rather than cover the tear itself. Here's mine.

Of course, I guess you can rig it however you want...

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby Arne » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:30 am

Joseph, very nice. btw, how do you bring the shed with you>?

That has to be tough....
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Joseph » Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:33 pm

arnereil wrote:Joseph, very nice. btw, how do you bring the shed with you>? That has to be tough....

Nah - it folds up. 8)

One thing I've discovered - because I have an open galley, I have to rig the awning with two more poles so that I can close the hatch and still have the awning remain standing.

Joseph
Last edited by Joseph on Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby cracker39 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:37 pm

Joseph, that's the type of awining I am looking for. What is the size and where did you find it? BTW, I lived just up the road from you for 15 years, not too far from the HW Nice bridge in Charles County, MD. I left in 2001 to return to FL.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Joseph » Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:43 pm

cracker39 wrote:Joseph, that's the type of awining I am looking for. What is the size and where did you find it?

Got it from Canvas Replacements. I ordered it in 4' wide by 12' long. We had a miscommunication on the special order color and it came in twice as much as they quoted. They made it right, and I'm very satisfied with both the product and their service, but I'd rather have gotten the details right from the beginning.

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby doug hodder » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:10 pm

Joseph....what material did they use...Sunbrella, or another canvas or a nylon product? thanks...doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Joseph » Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:37 pm

doug hodder wrote:Joseph....what material did they use...Sunbrella, or another canvas or a nylon product?

It's a vinyl coated canvas - a bit heavy but very sturdy.

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Re: Attached awnings /rooms etc....

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:40 pm

"original 49 Kit with a canvas tent" ...... does anyone out there have some photos of an original tent, or awning feature that was originally sold with the trailer.?

Doug, Check out Jim Linder (Indianapolis) for the original "side room" for the Kit trailer.
http://www.ptsnoozer.com/pricing.htm
Good luck,,
Kurt (Indiana) :thumbsup:
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Previous

Return to General Discussion