12v DC Eletric Panel

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

12 v DC Info that may help

Postby Dee Bee » Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:56 pm

I built a shunt that measures the drop in voltage across the resistors. When compared to the value of the battery the pannel is now able to calculate the amps drawn. This will be helpful in monitoring the amp- hours remaining in the battery.

The way a 12 v system is used ( how deeply you discharge the battery) will determine how long the battery lasts. I am reading that it is generally best not to discharge below 50% of the battery potential capacity or 12.06 v. The values posted above seem to be correct...
I have seen the same values on several other sites.

Here is a great source of info
http://bart.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/12volt/12volt.htm

BTW my panel meter and shunt are the very first electronic projects I have ever made. It works and it wasn't that hard.
Happy Camping
DEE
Grace happens...
Dee Bee
500 Club

Postby Dee Bee » Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:04 pm

Here are pics of my shunt

The wire was free from a construction project (10 gague braided) and the housing is assembled from pieces cut from a discarded plastic computer case, glued with plastic epoxy

DEE
Grace happens...
Dee Bee
500 Club

Re: 12 v DC Info that may help

Postby mikeschn » Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:15 am

Dee Bee wrote:Here is a great source of info
http://bart.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/12volt/12volt.htm
DEE

Thanks Dee,

I've seen that page, or a copy of it, many times before, but when I want to find it I can't. :?: So I created a new category in the links section, and promptly put it in there. :D

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Previous

Return to General Discussion