Getting closer...

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Getting closer...

Postby Bow » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:16 am

Well, as I mentioned before, my wife is not quite sure if she would enjoy camping enough to justify a Teardrop...

I could understand that... we have not camped together.. yet... and she had never seen a Teardrop in real life.... until today...

a local RV dealer took a 2015 T@G Max in on trade.. the Teardrop was purchased in Minnesota, dragged to Yuma, AZ and the owners decided they needed more camper...

I saw it last week and mentioned to the wife that we should go look at it, if for know other reason but to see if she thought it was doable, or I should give up hope forever...

We went today, she actually liked it. It was "Cute", she could see overnighters in it, and like the fact it had the sink/2 burner propane, A/C, and it was Silver/Grey, so it matched our Pathfinder... 8)

So it is on the "Thought" department for a teardrop, the only downside was the price, they wanted $12,900... like the brand new price... that won't fly, it isn't new... :NC

She would like to get some basics together and go on some day trips: go some where, pitch a canopy, cook on a grill/fire... and see if we (she) can handle it. :frightened:
Bow
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Getting closer...

Postby pchast » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:51 pm

Actually sounds like a good plan.
I'd ask the dealer if he would rent it for the weekend!

:thumbsup:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby 48Rob » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:34 pm

Bow,

Rent or borrow one, take her camping.

When you get there, first thing, have a nice chair for her in the shade while you set up. Offering her a cool drink would be nice too.
Then make dinner for her, and clean up after, both yourself and the dinner mess.

It is supposed to be fun for her too... ;)

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Bow » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:01 pm

Thanks Gents.

Rob,

That is actually the plan... we are going to do a couple "Day Camping" trips. Not overnighters, but go, setup, do a bit of cooking, chilling out, playing with the pooch, and returning home.

I do 75% of the cooking at home either in the kitchen or on the grill, so cooking on site would be not to far from that.

She is starting to look forward to it and I am researching places to go within a 3 hour drive for our first trial run.

She liked the Teardrop, and the idea of it, but even she said it was overpriced, because even though it is a 2015, it is still "used"...

I am hoping to get out after the new year for a day run or two...
Bow
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Vedette » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:37 pm

Rob
Forget the "Day Run" if you truly want a Teardrop in your future! :thinking:
Research a "Gathering within a couple hundred miles of your house! It is the beginning of Camping season in your area!!!
And rent the "TAG" if you have too........but got to an event where there are lots of different "Teardrop Trailers".....meet the people that camp in these rigs and let your wife see how much fun everyone is having, as well as how "personalized" their Tears are!
Between the "Friendly Folk" and the "Cute Teardrops" she WILL be hooked.
Also check out the For Sale section of this Forum or ask if Teardrops at the Gathering you attend might be For Sale???
You can definitely do better than a "Tag" at $12,000.00 :twisted:
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby Bow » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:38 pm

It has been a while since I have been on here... still don't have a Teardrop, but, the discussion between the wife and I came up again, and it was started by her...

Yesterday we were in San Diego and I swung by the local Little Guy Dealer... that definitely a good thing to do! We checked out a T@G Max and the Silver Shadow. I like the Silver Shadow for the retro look, but she liked the T@G with the skylight. they are having a Labor Day Sale ($13,999 for the T@G MAX with A/C), but we decided to wait until we have enough to put a good portion of the cost down in Cash.

That other side of the story that has changed is the Tow Vehicle. We traded in our '99.5 Pathfinder SE for a 2015 Subaru Impreza Sport Hatchback. Subaru doesn't list a tow rating for this model, but they do for the XV Crossover (1500# Max, 200# Tongue Weight), which is a Impreza Sport with a 3" lift... :NC

Vedette, what are some other options that are more affordable? I don't have the free time of working space to build one.
Bow
Teardrop Inspector

Postby friz » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:48 pm

I finally got my wife to turn the corner by taking her camping and explaining to her that this is what my weekends are going to look like until I can't do it any more.
I'm fine with a bivy and a good bag. I bought a nice dome and a good bag for her when we got married. That was over 20 years ago and we haven't used them much. 2 kids with a load of activities really cut into our free time. Now the kids are almost grown and doing their own things so we have some time to our selves again.
I pretty much let her choose the level of camping she wanted to do and thought we could afford. We also talked with other campers on our last trip and she was able to see what kind of tow vehicles went with different sized campers. She saw the light and finally understood what I have been trying to explain to her for the last 5 years. As the weight of the trailer increases so does everything else associated with it.

Sent from my Altair 8800 using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby Bow » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:28 pm

Thanks for the reply Fitz.

Actually, my wife is all in, but we are not going to take a loan for what is basically a toy... Besides the new car and our house, we don't take loans...

This BS with the tow rating on the Subaru being "Zero" on the USA Model, but 1500# on the Australian/European models.... and all of the cars are build in Japan... typical American Bureaucratic Trash.

:roll:
Bow
Teardrop Inspector

Return to General Discussion