duckworksmagazine

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

duckworksmagazine

Postby Ron Dickey » Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:28 pm

sitting in this mass gallery of boats and boat plans and construction sits a teardrop trailer. That was why I pulled it up.
Site offers many boat and boat ideas

www.duckworksmagazine.com/ r/projects.htm
at almost the very bottom.

If you are looking for other ways to construct something you might look under boat building. They are used in even rougher seas.

If you want to build a trailer boat (trailer built the shape of the boat) it carries overhead.
If you have made the teardrop and are ready to make the boat try this site.
There is also a boat forum by the same people who do mikes forum.
You might look under "boat forum" in your search engine.

I have always looked to boats for hardware because they are designed to last and are for small spaces and I like many of these shapes of hardware in many boats too.

I have often thought that if a Teardrop were not attached to it's trailer then it could have attachements like a Catamaran
or be put on a flat boat design or houseboat base. There you could sleep later and fish earlier.

anyway it offers some boat parts and accessories.

Look at some of those top of the line boat interiors and wonder why don't they make traveltrailers that look like this inside?? There ideas everywhere that the creative mind has been at work.
Old ideas forgotten ... become
NEW ideas when refound.

Ron D.
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:53 am

Hi Ron,
Take a look at http://www.bearmountainboats.com. I'm a member there and if you would like to see my current project, go to the Project Directory and click on Rebird. (By Dean in Eureka, CA)

Postby Steve Frederick » Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:47 am

Dean, That's a cool project!Your workmanship is great! I love building wooden boats! The next is a Mac MacArthy design, the Wee Lassie II, for my wife. She likes the kayak paddling style, but wants more room, so, a double paddle canoe works!
I used a lot of the methods you are using too, got them from the net, wonderful resource!
Where can I get a plan for the basket weave feature strip? I might "steal it" for Phyll's boat.
Thanx
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:58 am

Hey Steve,
I did that design on MS Publisher. So far, everyone that has requested it, doesn't have that program. If you have Publisher, great. If not, I can email you a Jpeg, or you can copy the design and save the picture from the canoe site.
I'll explain the procedure; It was actually very easy to make, it just took some time and a lot of clamps, which tested the patience. My advice would be to glue up one layer at a time, then glue the completed layers together one layer at a time. (Thats what I ended up having to do) When I tried glueing up all the layers at once, I got about four or five feet into it and pieces started moving all over the place. :roll:
There are only three layers and one layer is a solid piece of wood. I only had to make up half of the design, since it repeats itself. I just ripped my glued up blank in half and then staggered the two, to get the design. I made up a blank about 2 1/4" wide, then ripped it in half. I then planed each section, to get my offset for the bead and cove coverage. (Where the bead would be hidden by the cove cut stacked on top) I then, went about ripping my strips.
I found that design when I was researching tribal artwork for an Indian tribe, for a stained glass project they wanted me to do. I have a complete process of that project in pictures also, on my website in the art glass section.

Let me know if you want me to send you something on that design. The Wee Lassie is a beautiful boat, I figured there had to be more boatbuilders here. :D

Oh, John Michne gives an excellent description of how to build this type of accent strip on his website in his Builder's Corner. http://www.michneboat.com

Steve, I just went to your website and your site is what led me to T&TTT! Glen Smith, another boat building buddy from the Bear Mountain showed me your website.

Postby shil » Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:31 am

Hey,

Here are a couple of boats that I've built.
The cedar strip on the right is a 17' Endeavour I built for myself a couple of years ago.
The boat on the left is a skin-on-frame 17' that I put together for my wife last summer. 25 lbs. soaking wet.
I find that I need a project to maintain my sanity. The teardrop's the biggest (size-wise) yet.

Shil

shil
Donating Member

Postby Steve Frederick » Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:40 am

UH OH!! Looks like the boat builders are coming out of the closet!!! :wink:
Blessings, Steve
Building Journals
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:46 pm

Steve,
We haven't been in the closet, just out on the water.

Shil,
Whew!, 25lbs is getting pretty dogone light!
That Endeavor looks really nice.

Postby Steve Frederick » Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:48 pm

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:Steve,
We haven't been in the closet, just out on the water.

Speaking of water, we just pulled in from a weekend paddling/teardropping trip to Lewey Lake, in the Adirondacks. I took my Guillemot, and my daughter's Explorer hybrid. Lots of fun, though the weather was about 15 degrees below normal for this time of year.

Blessings, Steve
Building Journals
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Postby Ron Dickey » Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:06 pm

Steve,

Those are really great looking ....

and they have holes on top where I can put the wheels for my floating teardrop.

Great looking pontoons.

Hey guys you have some nice boats glad I could bring up some of the better tot-a-longs one can add to a teardrop for a real campin trip.

I live blocks away from the Pacific Ocean but have yet to paddel in it.
When I first moved here I wanted to get a small boat but my new wife at the time said no .... I can't swim.
So for now that throws the paddle out in the water.

Ron D.
Los Osos, CA
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby tdthinker » Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:41 am

Ilove kyaks. I am going to have to make one after I am done with the tear. I am going to put a rack on the tear so I can take my bike and kyak.
Ryan
tdthinker
500 Club

Return to General Discussion