More information on my Pop-Top Teardrop

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

More information on my Pop-Top Teardrop

Postby 1FATGMC » Fri Aug 06, 2004 5:19 pm

Hi all. I know some of you from the past. I've been pretty busy building my house the past couple years and haven't been doing much posting. That is finally done, so I should have a little more time in the future for other things.

A couple of you have requested more information about how the top raises and lowers on my teardrop. I took some more pictures the other day and added them to my construction pages on the teardrop along with more written information.

You can find the information Here

Hope this helps,

Sum
1FATGMC
Teardrop Builder

Postby mikeschn » Fri Aug 06, 2004 6:22 pm

Hey Sum,

Long time no see. Welcome! We've been talking about your pop-up tear. Have your ears been burning? :lol: J.K. It was all good.

So are you ready to weld my trailer now? :shock:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby beverlyt » Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:04 pm

Hello Sum,
I have admired your trailer from afar! Your website and pictures will be a great help to anyone wanting to build something similar.

We spent all winter making our simple little 4'x8' and can't imagine all the work that's went into yours.
Very nice.
Bev
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:25 pm

Hey Sumner,
Thank You for posting the additional information and new pictures. (And writing back to my email questions also) The only thing that I wasn't sure about, was how you kept the pop-up alligned while raising and lowering. Now I see, it is the square tubing that you used.
Your trailer has inspired me to go with a pop-up also.
It's nice to see 1FATGMC on the board!

Have you ruled out the possibility of condensation causing that rust in the floor pan?

Postby Grant » Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:42 am

Hey Dean!

Have you seen WHERE Sumner spends most of his Teardrop Time? Salt and rust go together like peanutbutter and jelly ... ;-} ;-}

Sorry, Sum ... I just HAD to take it there! Good to see you back on the 'Boards again. Say, are you going to be at B'ville next weekend? As usual, my Father will be there, but doubtful at this point that I will - school starts that following Tuesday - never know 'til the last minute, though.

Drop me a note and we'll talk race car progress ... ;-} ;-}

CHEERS!

Grant
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're on Teardrop Time" ... so kick back and focus on the Good Stuff!
Grant
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:32 am

Hey Grant,
I'm one step below salt.....fog. It works great for making redwood trees grow, but it's almost like salt when it comes to metal. Speaking of salt, I've allways wanted to check out the salt flat races. I've camped out on the flats a couple of times. I saw one of the most spectacular lightning shows there one night that I've ever seen in my life.
Somebody told me that the salt races were in danger of being curtailed because of salt degradation, is that true?

Postby 1FATGMC » Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:33 am

So are you ready to weld my trailer now?

Mike...

Bring some steel, axle, wheels and a couple other things by and we will have you a frame in no time :D

Hello Sum, I have admired your trailer from afar! Bev

Thanks and it looks like you have a nice board here. I'm glad someone pointed it out to me.

Have you ruled out the possibility of condensation causing that rust in the floor pan? Dean

I really don't think I have a condensation problem as I've never had any condensation on the trailer walls or ceiling.

I'm using one of those cheap 12 volt frigs that you can use either upright or horizontal. Since it can drain the aux. battery pretty quickly I only run it on 12 volts going down the road. I have it mounted vertical as you can see in the picture.

I built a reinforced shelf for it that holds the block or cubed ice. I took a small plastic waste paper basket and cut it off about 10 inches from the bottom. I fill it with water and freeze it before I go. It goes on the shelf at the top of the frig. (cold air falls). Going down the road with the 12 volts going to the frig the ice hardly melts, but camped it will melt over about 3 days. Of course as it is melting it is filling the waste paper basket with water, which if I remember I dump out. Problem is I'm an old man now and don't always remember so when I start to drive water, if it is full, will slouch out and run out the bottom of the frig onto the carper, past it, past the wood floor and collects in that pan area.

I should, should have, put some drain holes in the floor. I think also sometimes at the car wash water has been sprayed in at the bottom of the doors and gotten into this area. Like I mentioned using aluminum would be better. That is what is going to be used for the belly pan of the new teardop and might replace the steel in the current one at some point.

I also have some rust up under the front window I'll have to take care of. If you are using steel construction I would recommend using seam sealer to keep moisture out of seams. Where I used that I've had no problems. Where I didn't in a couple places water has gotten in between the skin and the frame and caused a little rusting. The other option is to keep some distance, like the car manufactures do, between the skin and supporting structure so that water isn't trapped and dries out quickly. I've had some of the same problems with the bed I made for my pickup. I'm learning and like Grant mentioned this trailer has been out on the salt at B'ville for a total of about 25 days.

Say, are you going to be at B'ville next weekend? Grant

Hi Grant, I'll be there from Friday morning until probable the following Wed. A friend of mine is finishing a Stude, as I write this, to bring out and race. I'm loaning him a Muncie 4 speed and some other things and just finished a towbar so I can pull him to the starting line and pick him up at the end of the run with 1FATGMC.

Have your dad look for us and of course you too if you get to make it. It would be good to see you again. My teardrop will be parked in the pits with the race car.

Now that the house is done house is done I'll be able soon to get back and finish my other teardrop and hopefully sell it (if anyone is interested in this teardrop contact me). Then, hopefully by mid-winter I can start on my lakester :lol:

c ya, Sum
1FATGMC
Teardrop Builder

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:42 am

Sumner,
That is one sweet looking Studebaker!
I really like the chop and stretch.

Postby tdthinker » Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:30 am

I love your kitchens look.
Ryan
tdthinker
500 Club