Spray foam?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Spray foam?

Postby Da'engineer » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:47 am

Has anyone ever used spray foam insulation in their trailer? Rather then the normal pink insulation?
Da'engineer
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Spray foam?

Postby Fenlason » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:56 am

I will be trying it soon in a van I just purchased. I am taping it up now.. while waiting for warmer weather.
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby Da'engineer » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:02 am

You will have to let me know how it turns out. I've been waiting out the options for my trailer since it will be used for winter travels and have pluming.. So I am scared of having a pipe freeze up while I am not inside heating it.
Da'engineer
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Fenlason » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:06 am

Will do. :D
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby JaggedEdges » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:11 am

Make sure to get low expansion stuff. You'll probably manage to bulge your walls out with the high expansion version.
Jack of all trades, Doctor of rocket surgery and fellow of the noble college of shadetree meddlers. "in argentum tenax vinculum speramus"
JaggedEdges
Teardrop Master

Postby warnmar10 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:22 am

"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." - Jonathan Swift
warnmar10
Teardrop Master

Postby kayakdlk » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:53 pm

I used the great stuff spray in foam insulation to fill the gaps left in my imperfect cuts of my foam panels, and to fill gaps where I ran wires. I let it dry then ran a belt sander over it to smooth down before putting on the 1/8 plywood roof. It was very messy and sticky.

Let us know how it worked for you
Dan
kayakdlk
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Da'engineer » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:33 pm

Anyone have any product suggestions? Been looking around a bit and not completely sure what to use.
Da'engineer
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Fenlason » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:35 am

I will be using a Dow Froth pak kit.

http://building.dow.com/en-us/products/ ... ffd8cd81b9
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Da'engineer » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:00 am

More pricey then I anticipated oh well I guess lol
Da'engineer
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Fenlason » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:55 am

On a lot of projects it is cheaper to pay pros to do it. In my van I want foam in some places and not in others.. I kind of want control on how it is done.

Some spray foaming I did on my house when I first built it, as well on a previous house, I hired out. [of course back then the kits weren't available either] My previous house I would have hired out.. what I did here I would have to have thought about.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby JaggedEdges » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:35 am

I was thinking that spray foam in the spray cans was what was meant, with my last post.

Anyway, yah, seen those kits in Home Depot and Lowes, probably make up relatively little foam. One can buy the foam components, mix A LITTLE in a 5 gallon bucket, and then apply foam with a trowel/board, like plastering. This should work well if your framework is open, if it's on the floor, flat, it's a bit like doing concrete, slop it in, level it off.

So, probably have to avoid home reno stores for a good price, it's all in the packaging there, find a industrial/contractors supplier that has smaller quantities available.
Jack of all trades, Doctor of rocket surgery and fellow of the noble college of shadetree meddlers. "in argentum tenax vinculum speramus"
JaggedEdges
Teardrop Master

Postby dogscats » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:39 am

I have look in to the cost for my fiberglass component trailer build. Have found the best cost is to go with foam board krif the back on the bends and use two part Pour Foam to tie it all together . It will help glue the foam board down . Will put more cash in your pocket
TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN,
YET AT THE SAME TIME, THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE,,, SO MAKE THE BEST OF IT WHILE YOU CAN, AND ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS
dogscats
Donating Member

Postby Fenlason » Fri May 08, 2015 6:36 am

I finally did my spray foam project. Overall I am happy with it. I originally planned on doing it last saturday. It took longer to finish up my masking off the van. Also the kit was not as warm as I wanted. They say to get a good yield the tanks need to be 75 degrees. The kit I had did have a thermometer on the side of the tank. I had it sitting in a 100+ degree sun room.. and I thought that would do it, but it had been left out in the van overnight.. and our temps were down in the lower 40's [maybe cooler] over night. I decided to wait until Sunday.

I waited until just after lunch Sunday. It was above 70 outside [air temp and surface temp isn't as critical] and my foam tanks had heated to 90. I read through the directions a couple more times and checked out all the equipment.. and suited up. I had trouble getting the nozzle to firmly lock into the gun… I also had trouble with the trigger. It had a safety trigger you had to squeeze first.. and the set up kept sticking. It took about 20 minutes to spray the van. I had a little leakage around the not fully seated nozzle, and my finish wasn't quite as smooth as it might have been if I didn't have the trigger problem. It will all end up being covered so that isn't a problem, and I only had little bit of foam to trim off.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Fri May 08, 2015 6:38 am

Last edited by Fenlason on Sat May 09, 2015 11:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Next

Return to General Discussion