VISTABULE Teardrop Trailer arrived

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: VISTABULE Teardrop Trailer arrived

Postby kVox42 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:19 am

Hi Cosmo. Congrats on your Vistabule. They are definitely a unique and really neat TD. I love their most unique feature ... all that window on the world space. I assume all those are rigged to have shades for when you need or want privacy, and screens for air without bugs? I'd love to consider one myself but they're a bit too heavy for me and more than I can really spend. Have a terrific time with it!!!

Kevin
Raleigh, NC

:wine:
kVox42
Teardrop Inspector

Postby ssutton » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:59 pm

Yes, the trailer is just plain awesome! Well done. Speaking of windows, what are they made of and how to they follow the curves of the teardrop?
ssutton
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Cosmo » Sun May 03, 2015 4:36 pm

Out again this weekend. Video link attached.
I tried to show more features in the You tube video below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7HAlUd ... xNGyh4DlOY
I loved the good feng shui the moment I saw it. The interior has an open feeling and is not cramped at all. All the windows have coverings for privacy. Porthole covers, curtains etc.

Great ventilation (and views). Portholes and side windows open. There e are ventilation ports that open. This cuts down on condensation as the warm moist air rises out of the trailer. This is not new – Yurts and tepees and other living arrangements have been using this idea since we left the caves.

Bert at Vistabule is a design perfectionist and he is not afraid to experiment with new ideas.

The front window is glass custom curved to the same shape as the body. The front window is automotive glass – same as a car windshield. It won’t haze over time from elements or abrasion of traveling at 70MPH. Other windows are glass too. I think tempered safety glass.

Bert uses Airstream aluminum on the skin. It has a coating to protect the aluminum from the elements.
There is gobs of storage space and most of the doors are removable so If I wanted to put something big in the tongue box I could remove the doors. However the tongue box looks like I can hold more tongues than I could collect (some trailer humor for those scratching their heads).

I organize my stuff so the stuff I need like a pillow and sleeping bag are in the rear lower cabinets at the head board and are blocked in couch mode. Daytime stuff in in the wells and tongue box for quick access. Binoculars hiking gear.

Galley is open space design for all sorts of stuff however you want to configure it. Cooler can ride on the galley counter or inside if your prefer (or in the car.

The whole design works for me. Very flexible. Trailer exceeded all my expectations
Will do a video on the electric and solar panel. I am using a 100 watt solar panel (5 amp). On a sunny day this time of year I have plenty of power to spare. Battery is 55 amp. I don’t use many amps with my setup. Not sure about cloudy days output yet. I need more experience.

I calculate propane will last me 2 weeks at my burn rate.

I did not want A/C and I dislike generator noise. AC is available and [email protected] will A/C it in the front or back if you like, when I visited his shop he said he could put AC on top too! He was willing to meet all my requests. More on that later.
My primary problem is work is preventing me from enjoying the fun-mobile as much as I would like to.

More later
Cosmo
Last edited by Cosmo on Sun May 03, 2015 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FUN WITH TEARDROP TRAILER VIDEOS
https://www.youtube.com/CosmoWeems/videos

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

Postby pitbullluvajrod » Sun May 03, 2015 6:40 pm

Wow. I know it's been said many times, but I have to say that this is a really nice design. That reversed look really catches the eye. The big window is an awesome addition. Congrats on a job well done.
pitbullluvajrod
Teardrop Advisor

Postby PKCSPT » Mon May 04, 2015 6:36 am

Love all the windows, if I were to buy a teardrop today I would strongly look at these.
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby willrothfuss » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:44 pm

Cosmo, how is that Vistabule holding up? What year and engine Forester are you ( or were you ) towing it with? I have a 2014 and was under the impression the Vistabule was a little heavy for it.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Ralph Waldo Emerson
willrothfuss
Teardrop Builder

Postby Cosmo » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:50 pm

Hello,
Forester is a 2014 (4) cylinder. This car is rated to tow 1500 pounds and 150 pound tongue weight. I towed with the Forester for 2 years. No issues. I did not take it over the Rockies so I cant provide any grueling towing feedback.

My trailer weights 1500 pounds loaded (9 gallons of water included). That is within the Forester towing capacity. The limit is the suspension capacity not the engine. The tongue weight on my trailer is 200 pounds - a little heavy for the Forester which recommends 150 pound tongue weight. Suspension did not sag more than an inch so I figure I was OK especially compared to some of the sagging overloaded tow vehicles I see bobbing down the road. I carry probably carry about 500 or 600 pounds maximum weight in the car (that includes the driver and passenger + gear) so I am not pushing the weight limits of the Forester (at least in my mind I am not).

Forester handles towing fine. I have trailer brakes to assist the car brakes. I believe new Vistabules are lighter and have a 150 pound tongue weight. Only once did the Forester need a quart of oil between changes. Engine burns no oil when not towing. When towing I keep an eye on the oil. I use Mobil 1 high heat oil and Mobil1 extended filter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-zDt9FGJi8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ_vxdO_9nc

CVT will spin a little higher RPMs on hills when towing, but so will a "slush box" traditional automatic trans. No issues with the CVT. I actually like the transmission. It really delivers the best RPM at all times. On a long steep hill I may slow down to lower RPMs.

I just added rare earth magnets to the oil filter. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XT ... UTF8&psc=1 I stuck a few on the filter can. They pull micro iron particles out of the oil that are fine enough to pass thru the filter. I had magnetized the drain plug in the past and you can see the magnetic spooge on the plug when you give it a wipe. All the oil is circulated thru the filter every 2 min. so the filter is a great location for the magnets to attract the iron. Easy to do too! They work pulling nano magnetic particles out of the oil (in my opinion). They also prevent the signals from the martians from controlling me far better than my tin foil hat!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcMBbop_11k You may think this is bull crap but transmissions are delivered with a large magnet built in. You can see photos on the web so it must be true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSN5E8ssgLk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6WwJQmwI1A

In Feb I purchased a 2018 Outback 2.5 SI 4 cylinder Premium $25.5K (not for lack of satisfaction with the Forester) I considered the 6 cylinder Outback but after crunching a lot of numbers the 4 cylinder came out on top for me. The Outback weighs about 400 pounds more than the Forester. The 4 cylinder engine is the basically the same with some refinements, but the frame can handle 2700 pounds towing capacity. Outback has bigger brakes than the Forester, is quieter, and more comfortable for me to drive. Backup camera is much larger, Has gas saving features like electric power steering rather than hydraulic power steering.

Outback had the best gas mileage, most cargo space and trailer towing capacity of the vehicles Also had one of the lowest repair rates for its class on the Consumer Reports survey. I considers including the Cross Trek. (Hyunday, Kia were tempting with a 100K drive train warranty and they are willing to cut a good deal). But still for me the Outback had it all - just not as much sex appeal. The good wife vs the hot looking mistress which is fun to drive but a pain in the ass for the long haul.

I visited the dealer with offers 3 times in Feb (Jan and Feb are dead car sale months). In the beginning of the month they ignored my offers and rejected me coldly. That is part of the dance. They have a whole month to hit the sales goal for a fat bonus. Mid month they wanted to see the trade in but were still cold. During the last 3 days of the month they came down to $300 above my price and I took it. End of month is defiantly serious deal time. It pays not to be in a hurry and be willing to accept rejection a few times. I looked up the dealer invoice price and started there which greatly annoys the dealer. When they need to make sales numbers for the month - magic can happen. Reminds me of dating, with less alcohol but a similar amount of pepper spray...

Outback is getting great gas mileage (30 mpg mixed local and highway). I cant wait to try towing and highway driving with it. Range on one tank of gas is 550 miles (mixed local/highway) which is more than my bladder can stand, but it might be enough mileage to get me through a state with high gas prices! I would fill up at the border of New Jersey or Ohio before crossing PA Then fill up again after passing thru the Keystone State. This would save enough money for me to buy a poquito latte. https://gasprices.aaa.com/

I have not towed with the Outback yet. I just passed the first 1000 miles this week. Its just broken in. I expect to be doing a lot of trips this summer and can provide more feedback about the Outback soon.

Vistabule trailer has held up fine and I really feel its still a great match for me. I have seen lots of teardrops before and after my purchase. This trailer was the right decision for me. I might make one change. Vistabule offers a 12 volt, propane, forced hot air heating system which does not put fumes or moisture into the cabin - it just adds clean heat. I may add that this year - not sure yet. Its great Vistabule can backfill features like this for owners.

Good camping
Cosmo

Camping with the ponies on Assategue Island in October
https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=-ZMk5b9L0Fo

FUN WITH TEARDROP TRAILER VIDEOS
https://www.youtube.com/CosmoWeems/videos

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

Postby karathomps » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:52 pm

Thanks so much for this information! I am brand new to the forum and to the teardrop trailer community. I have a 2020 Braxton Creek Bushwhacker, and had planned to tow with my 2014 Forester. I have crunched the weight numbers several times (using worksheets online), have read the Forester forums, and called every mechanic in town, including the dealer. And no one seems to have the same answer regarding the CVT, whether I should install an after-market transmission cooler, etc. No one in town wants to install one for me, and finally I got someone at the dealer who said that I shouldn't have a problem with my Forester, other than possibly having to change the transmission fluid more frequently. I like this answer best because I love my Forester and cannot necessarily afford to get another TV. The dealer also highly recommended NOT adding any aftermarket equipment because of my warranty and also that the engine simply doesn't need it (according to him).

I also am excited to use my teardrop, but I've been sort of immobilized because I don't want to damage my Subaru. The dry weight of my trailer is 1330 with a tongue weight of 125, but I added it up to 170 to account for the propane and battery (I included a snapshot of a worksheet calculation here). I won't load the trailer at all, and will try to keep my packing conservative in the car itself. But I live at 7200 feet, and so leaving town always entails some serious elevation changes, and the trip I need to take this summer entails crossing the Rockies. I guess I'm interested in what you all think!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 11.44.48 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 11.44.48 AM.png (247.25 KiB) Viewed 1532 times
karathomps
Teardrop Inspector

Postby pchast » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:31 pm

HI and welcome...... :D

I tow with an Outback. The car came with a trailer hitch(used) so I'm careful.
My td is lighter by 3-400 lbs but I also use a utility trailer to move a Motorcycle
or a load of stone for the driveway.

I bought the car with 50000, had the CVT oil changed at 90,000. It was brown. I'll
have it changed again soon. I bought a 'Scangauge II' to watch the engine coolant
temps. Its never displayed over 210 degrees. I've never had the big changes you
will deal with. I figure I'm at about 15000 miles towing now.
:thinking:
I'll let you know what we find.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby karathomps » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:25 pm

Thank you Pete! I would feel much better about towing with an Outback, though I guess the transmissions are the same. Good to know that the towing definitely seemed to have an effect on the trans fluid. I just had mine flushed and changed, so I might take the dealer's suggestion to take it on a couple of trips and then bring the car in for a fluid check.

Thanks!
Kara
karathomps
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to General Discussion