Insulated Weekender

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby DANL » Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:15 am

Good morning Mike,

Well, it's the next day after I wrote the bit about wood filler and paint. I threw a 50 grit belt onto the sander and that took care of the situation. I had been using a medium grade belt but it clogged up too quickly and my belt cleaning bar wouldn't remove it.

Yeah, I would probably use epoxy on another trailer but this one will most likely be sliced and diced half a dozen times as I experiment with various options. The Ben Moore paint I'm using is an Alkyd fortified 100% Acrylic Latex enamel. This way I can touch up any changes easily and I'm not particularly concerned about edge matching. Two coats of primer on and one coat of paint at this point. Hope to be done with paint by tomorrow. Trying to make a show-and-tell on Thursday.

About the floor, that was someone else. I remember the post you refer to but don't recall which heading it was under. My floor is one-half inch BCX on two-by-two framing. Seems quite strong. BTW the walls are 1x2 pine with 1/4" birch underlay on outside with good side in (no insulation-need access to framing to experiment). The roof is 2x2 fir joists with the same skin but will have a mottled white and cream 1/8" panel for ceiling (and foam insulation). In fact, I may have overbuilt this thing. I can walk around on the roof with no problem.

On the subject of walls, I've always wanted to try this. Make the frame (be it squared or rounded) out of 2" thick stock. Fasten the skin to both sides with glue and screws. When dry, remove the screws and then slice the 2" stock down the center somehow leaving two exactly duplicate sides. Haven't worked out the slicing part yet.

Hang in there. Stick built IS a bit slower.
The tiny trailer in the avatar is designed to carry our recumbents and sometimes sleep in. We LOVE having a kitchen in the woods and a place for most of our gear.
Dan Jones http://sunsetlanding.com/teardrop/teardrop_intro.html
DANL
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:01 pm

That's it for today. I now have a floor, 1 complete wall, and 1 partial wall...
That floor is 5' x 8' by the way!!!

Back in the days of rockets, engineers were told to build them better, cheaper and faster. The reply was always the same... "Pick two".

This is the thought that comes to mind when as I build this Weekender. I started out wanting to build it cheaper, faster and lighter. Pick two...

One of the ways I wanted to lower my lighting costs was to get a closet light for $6.99

But it doesn't run 12V you say... By George, your right... okay, lets find a 12V bulb...

In spite of the bulbs, I have lowered my lighting cost quite a bit from the last teardrop!!! :D

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Chip » Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:07 pm

Clap on!!!!!Clap off!!!!!got one but its AAA powered just in case,,which way did ya go on the roof Mike??

chip
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:08 pm

The roof is going to be the squared off Weekender style. I'll keep you in the pictures... :wink:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:53 pm

Here's the light in action... works great, and it's really bright!!!

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Sun Aug 08, 2004 1:01 pm

DANL wrote: Two coats of primer on and one coat of paint at this point. Hope to be done with paint by tomorrow. Trying to make a show-and-tell on Thursday.

Looking forward to seeing your show and tell... :D

DANL wrote: About the floor, that was someone else. I remember the post you refer to but don't recall which heading it was under. My floor is one-half inch BCX on two-by-two framing. Seems quite strong.

I ended up using 5/8" bc plywood. It's a little heavy, but not too bad.

DANL wrote: When dry, remove the screws and then slice the 2" stock down the center somehow leaving two exactly duplicate sides. Haven't worked out the slicing part yet.

So you want a 4' (or higher) bandsaw, so you can "resaw" your panels. Good idea, but I don't know how practical that is. If you had just an outside frame, you could cut it with a circular saw and a guide, but I don't see how you could cut a complete wall with all the framing... :(

Mike...

Hang in there. Stick built IS a bit slower.[/quote]
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 08, 2004 1:08 pm

Mike,
That is one bright light!

Previous

Return to General Discussion