Anyone going to Airventure in Oshkosh WI?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Anyone going to Airventure in Oshkosh WI?

Postby Jdw2717 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:35 pm

I camped there last year and plan on going again this year. I saw one other teardrop trailer but wondered if any other folks have gone to the airshow. :thinking:
"Twenty years form now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines... Explore. Dream. Discover" Mark Twain

John & Tatanya
Jdw2717
Teardrop Master

Re: Anyone going to Airventure in Oshkosh WI?

Postby GerryS » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:32 am

Thinking about it....no idea where I'll be staying though. Camping fills ups fast in the area, and there really isn't much close especially this close to the event.

A couple years ago, we stopped at the museum and had a hard time ... I think we finally found a place in west bend...a private campground that was kind of a flea-bag equivalent. We were definitely glad to have our own pillows :)
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ssutton » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:30 pm

Yes, 2016. That's my plan.....hope my TD is ready. Wish it were this year :(
ssutton
Teardrop Advisor

Postby springdew » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:12 pm

I went some years ago but I didn't camp. Sure had fun though.
For everything there is in this world, there is someone who likes it.
Planning and build journal for Yiayia's Waggon: At Home on the Road

Spring Dew Foulger
springdew
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Dave Gray » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:55 pm

I went (I go almost every year) and it was a record setting week. I did not see this discussion before because I just joined this board a couple of weeks ago and I was getting ready for the annual trek to Oshkosh. I am a member of the EAA and local EAA Chapter 1077, New Philadelphia, OH at KPHD.

Thanks for meeting with me John. I enjoyed talking with you and seeing your Teardrop. I value your thinking and advice on building a trailer. I hope to see you again sometime. EAAers are not unlike Teardroppers and can't wait for the next gathering to meet old and new friends.

Since this thread had a fair amount of views and not many posts, I wonder if people are not familiar with the topic. Here is a little info about Airventure to get you interested. Airventure is fairly new name for an annual event (53 years) that the regulars most often just call Oshkosh. Airventure is the EAA's National Convention. It is the largest gathering of aviation enthusiasts in the world and people from all over the world attend. There is an airshow every afternoon and an airplane of some type flying all day long. Last year the USAF Thunderbirds were there. On Wednesday and Saturday there is a Night Airshow where the airplanes fly with fireworks coming off them and a fantastic regular fireworks display afterward. You sit on your own chair with no physical fence between you and the runway less than 150 yards away and you can take your own snacks. During the day you can walk through thousands of airplanes of all types from homebuilts to Warbirds. Hundreds of thousands of people attend during the week but it doesn't feel like it because they are spread all over the grounds.

As far as the camping goes, It is on a first come basis but I have never seen a time when you couldn't find a spot. (no electric) You may not be close to the show grounds but a bicycle ride of 5 minutes will get you there. The shower houses are well maintained and have a few flush toilets but there are port-a-johns all over the place that are kept clean all week long. I actually prefer to use them most of the time. Motorized vehicles are permitted in the campgrounds but nothing other than handicap vehicles are permitted inside the gate. There is a three day minimum and they charge you from the date of arrival to the end of the event ($26 per night). If you leave early you are reimbursed later for the remainder of the days after three. Trust me it's not hard to stay at least three days. There are three different waves of people that come. First the early group, then the all week long group comes. Most stay until Thursday morning so as to take in the first Night Airshow. The last wave comes in Thursday and stays until Sunday.

If any of this has piqued your interest you can find out more at EAA.org.

See You In Oshkosh!
Dave Gray
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Dave Gray » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:08 pm

Dave Gray
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Redneck Teepee » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:27 pm

For those going keep an eye out for this guy, my buddy Scott from Lodi Ca. He fly's back every year. Harmon Rocket with a top speed of 300mph and will cruise at about 250 with perfect conditions

I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Postby superdad88 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:55 pm

I got my PPL back in 2000 and been 4 times. I do plan on going this year in my TD, no more tent for me.
superdad88
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Jdw2717 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:35 pm

I am probably going to skip it this year. I just don't have enough vacation left this year. We have too many things planned but I will try next year. It is such a great show I recommend it to anyone who enjoys airplanes and flying.
"Twenty years form now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines... Explore. Dream. Discover" Mark Twain

John & Tatanya
Jdw2717
Teardrop Master

Postby Roly Nelson » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:38 pm

Since I am a private pilot, I have made the trek from So Calif 4 times and enjoyed the Airvnture event more each time. The down side is, some times it's too hot and humid for this ol' timer, and much of the middle of the day is spent in the Air Museum, which is air conditioned. The events are great, as are the air shows, the sea plane area is less crowded, and each year it gets better than the previous years. I brought my motorhome a few times, enjoyed the adjacent campground and shuttle service. Anyone who has any interest in seeing 15,000 aircraft from all over the world, should attend this once-in-a-life-time adventure.

My favorites are the homebuilts, and the one-off ultra-lights. One guy said he flew one in from across the Gulf of Mexico, and I asked him what he would have done, if he had an engine failure over the water. He replied that he had blown up condums in the wings and a waterproof cell phone to call for help. He charged 5 bucks a pop, for those that wanted to sign their names on the wings. That, he said, paid for the trip and he planned to do the same on the way back home. I guess he made it, since there was no word of him ditching in the drink. If you are aviation minded, check this one out, it's an event to remember.
8) ;) :thumbsup: Roly, the li'l ol' So Calif woody TD designer, builder and user.
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby Flying Teardrop » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:59 pm

I've been a EAA member for 10 years. I built my first airplane and helped build 4 other airplanes. I'm now building my first teardrop camping trailer. I'm committed to a trip from Missouri to California this summer, but I'm going to have to take my new teardrop to Oshkosh before I wear it out. Hope to meet many of you fine folks along the way :thumbsup:
David
Flying Teardrop
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Dave Gray » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:47 pm

John started this thread last year and only a few replied. Ultimately I met with John one evening in the Oshkosh campgrounds (Camp Scholler) and talked Teardrops for a little while. By coincidence, John was only a short distance from my camp. Closer still was another lone wolf teardropper that I approached as a total stranger not knowing what to expect. He was cautious at first but warmed up fast when I expressed my interest in his build. We waved at each other every time I saw him while on my way to the shower house. I saw a few others that I did not get the opportunity to approach.

John has posted that he is probably not going to make the event this year (2016). I am. I will either be pulling my modest fifth wheel camper or flying up and tent camping.

I am going to start a thread in the Off Topic area to continue the discussion of Oshkosh.

It will be named Aviation Enthusiasts Sound Off!
Dave Gray
Teardrop Advisor

Postby meyeres3e » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:05 pm

Leaving Friday Morning, staying at Blackhawk lake a couple days. Arriving Oshkosh on Sunday morning. Can't wait!!!
meyeres3e
Teardrop Inspector

Return to General Discussion