Bolt together trailer? Sum?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby McTeardrops » Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:34 pm

Mike

My HF problems were a combination of cheap communist fasteners and poor design. The steel was too soft and thin to let the bolts get fully torqued; if you can't tighten a bolt enough, it's guaranteed to fatigue and fail. The design uses bolts in tension, with threads where the pieces join. That makes a slow speed milling machine, just cutting away at the boltholes. Neither trailer was overloaded or taken off road. The third trailer was an IRD design open-rail car hauler I welded up myself. This was a great design, but I had it out in the Florida keys, where you just can't get more than a yard above salt water. The catalyzed epoxy paint looked flawless, but the inside of the tubes just got eaten away
Lenny

[email protected]
I've reached the stage, in life, where my foam has more memory than I do!
McTeardrops
The 300 Club

Postby BufordT » Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:01 am

Sum,

I agree with everything you said.

I just didn't say it a well as you.

What I agree with the most is the 4x8's. I just never saw a reason to build a trailer that's out of tubing or C channel for a 4x8. total weight is not going to be over 900 lbs.

As far as the tear you've build I'd never build one like that out of angle iron. I'd have done what you did.

I'm not fond of the harbor freight trailer either it's just what I was able to do quickly at the time. My next tear chassis will be built and welded not bolted. However I'm not going to over build it either I don't see the need for what I do with my tears.

Different parts of the country and what you are planning on doing with your tear should make for how you build your chassis.

Here in Fl. there are no deserts so I won't be driving there. No rocks so I won't be driving there.

Lots of swamp area. I will be driving there.

With that said. Welcome to the board. We can all learn from your experence and POST SOME PIC's of you house.

Bufordt :twisted:
"RUSH" The Man, The Legend, The Way Of Life.
BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby asianflava » Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:05 pm

He he, kinda off topic but I was reading this thread got to the last post by BufordT in it he mentioned FL. Then I looked at the Avitar and saw Palm Bay... My wife and I grew up there! :o Parents still live there. Hope the hurricane(s) don't get you too bad. :roll:

As far as trailers, my neighbor has an off road shop http://www.jkcustoms.com/ that does roll cages and stuff, he said that he'd do it for me. I planning on using 2X2 tubing, that is what he usually gets and stocks. I saw a post on wall thickness but I can't seem to find it. Could I go with thiner thickness on the frame and slightly thicker on the tounge? What thickness? I'm thinking about doing a 5X10 tear.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby BufordT » Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:08 pm

asianflava wrote:He he, kinda off topic but I was reading this thread got to the last post by BufordT in it he mentioned FL. Then I looked at the Avitar and saw Palm Bay... My wife and I grew up there! :o Parents still live there. Hope the hurricane(s) don't get you too bad. :roll:

As far as trailers, my neighbor has an off road shop http://www.jkcustoms.com/ that does roll cages and stuff, he said that he'd do it for me. I planning on using 2X2 tubing, that is what he usually gets and stocks. I saw a post on wall thickness but I can't seem to find it. Could I go with thiner thickness on the frame and slightly thicker on the tounge? What thickness? I'm thinking about doing a 5X10 tear.

Looks like we are going to be ok. Might get some of it but that's about it.

When you come and visit you Parents. Let me know. Would like to meet fellow teardropers.

Bufordt :twisted:
"RUSH" The Man, The Legend, The Way Of Life.
BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby Larwyn » Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:58 pm

Joanne wrote:So this begs the question; if a Harbor Freight trailer is the size you need, why wouldn't you bolt one together and then have it welded solid? You still get the benefits of an easy to assemble trailer kit along with the strength provided by the welding.

My own personal position is that I wouldn't want to put the time, effort and money into a trailer based on a bolted together frame.

Joanne

Joanne

That is exactly the what I am doing on my Harbor Freight trailer. I replaced all the original fasteners with Grade 8 bolts, nuts, and washers, squared everthing up, then welded each crossmember in place. The only drawback to welding is you then have some painting to do, but I did not want a red trailer anyway. :)

Only time will tell if we are right. I for one hope so. :D
Larwyn

Keeper of the Most Out Of Control Shop (2005)

I feel bad for the man that cannot spell a word more than one way. Mark Twain
Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Previous

Return to General Discussion