Where to buy aluminum in SF / Eastbay

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Where to buy aluminum in SF / Eastbay

Postby calnhob » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:39 pm

Hi, been working on the TD for almost 1/2 year and it's finally ready for the outer aluminum skin. I'm only planning to put alu on the top.

I went to one place in San leandro which had 4'x12' .032 for $51 but it comes flat and not rolled up, and I didn't have a way to take it home in my car.

Any recommendations on a place that has 5' wide rolled up at .040 for a good price? Also, does it need to come with the white plastic protection sheet? The place in San Leandro didn't have it.

Here are a couple of pics, a lot more has been done since the pic but this is what I had on the phone.
Trailer front.JPG
Trailer front.JPG (216.25 KiB) Viewed 439 times

Getting an idea of the inside

Trailer inside.JPG
Trailer inside.JPG (232.98 KiB) Viewed 439 times
calnhob
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Where to buy aluminum in SF / Eastbay

Postby Dale M. » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:37 am

One place you might try is down south of you in Hollister Ca.

http://www.all-rite.com/index.php

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby grant whipp » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:21 pm

It's not East Bay or SF, but you might have to drive to semi-North Sacramento to Cardo Industries on West El Camino (just west of Business 80) and talk to Curt, he's stocked 5x12 in .040 a few times and he can certainly order it for you ... most of his stuff does have some kind of protective film, but if you roll it up, I'd suggest folding a piece of duct tape over the end that goes on the inside of the roll. Good Luck, and tell him Grant referred you ... ;) ...!

CHEERS!
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby vegask » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:46 pm

SAF in redding ca. Bit of a hike for you, but they do anodized aluminum for 4' wide pieces and non anodized for 5' wide pieces. Their prices are pretty good from the quotes I have. I am in Reno so I will just pay the freight charge when I am ready.
vegask
Teardrop Advisor

Postby DaveS » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:52 pm

I bought mine from Coast Aluminum in Hayward.

Prices in May were:
.032 X 48" X 144" FLAT SHEET 5052-H32 $44.79
.032 X 60" X 144" FLAT SHEET 5052-H32 $55.99

I had them put PVC film on one side to protect the finish and was glad I did. Kept a bunch of scratches from happening. I should have taken the film off as soon as I was done. Left it on too long and it stained the finish a bit.

I wanted flat sheets as I thought they'd be easier to install than coiled stock. I wound up renting a 12' x 6' trailer from U-Haul (cost $30 or thereabouts) to do the transport. Coast put the material on a wood platform and loaded it into the trailer with a forklift. No muss, no fuss. Very happy with the whole experience. Platform was made of oak so will get some heat out of it this winter.
DaveS
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Graniterich » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:24 pm

Good prices, I drape over the completed cabin, strap down, works well
Graniterich
Donating Member

Postby calnhob » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:41 am

DaveS wrote:I bought mine from Coast Aluminum in Hayward.

Prices in May were:
.032 X 48" X 144" FLAT SHEET 5052-H32 $44.79
.032 X 60" X 144" FLAT SHEET 5052-H32 $55.99

I had them put PVC film on one side to protect the finish and was glad I did. Kept a bunch of scratches from happening. I should have taken the film off as soon as I was done. Left it on too long and it stained the finish a bit.

I wanted flat sheets as I thought they'd be easier to install than coiled stock. I wound up renting a 12' x 6' trailer from U-Haul (cost $30 or thereabouts) to do the transport. Coast put the material on a wood platform and loaded it into the trailer with a forklift. No muss, no fuss. Very happy with the whole experience. Platform was made of oak so will get some heat out of it this winter.

Thanks, those are good prices. Will have to check them out.

Graniterich wrote:Good prices, I drape over the completed cabin, strap down, works well

Not a bad idea, might end up doing that.
calnhob
Teardrop Inspector

Postby noseoil » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:32 am

We used to roll formica for carrying that way. Best way to protect the inside face is to fold a piece of cardboard along the entire inner edge (tape it in place so it stays) prior to rolling it up, so it doesn't scratch. You need to be careful not to kink the sheet at any one point during the roll, but you should be able to do it on a table or flat surface like a concrete floor. Put several turns of twine or rope around the outside to secure it.

Just watch out when you cut it loose to open it up. Get a few more hands involved when you do & it should be OK.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby patrickl » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:19 am

I picked up 5052 6'x12' sheet .08 little thick for $170 a sheet, In Monroe WA from Dean's Specialty Welding Inc.
I also got quotes for 5052 from Everett Steel in WA 5x12 .06 for $120 a sheet but I needed 6x12 which they didn't have in stock.

-Patrick
patrickl
Teardrop Inspector

Return to General Discussion