bears in camp......

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: bears in camp......

Postby alaska teardrop » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:54 am

Which brings up the question of how to legally transport the ol' Large Firearm through Canada. Locked hard-side case? Trigger lock? Both? More? Less? Ammo stored separately, of course.

Transporting non-restricted or antique firearms

165. An individual may transport a non-restricted or antique firearm in a vehicle only if the non-restricted or antique firearm is unloaded.

166. An individual may transport a non-restricted or antique firearm in an unattended vehicle only if the non-restricted or antique firearm is unloaded and securely locked in the trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked. If the vehicle is not equipped with a trunk or similar compartment, the non- restricted or antique firearm must not be visible from outside the vehicle and the vehicle or part of the vehicle that contains the non-restricted/antique firearm must be securely locked.

167. An individual may transport an antique firearm that is a handgun only if it is in a locked container that is made of an opaque material and is of such strength, construction and nature that it cannot readily be broken open or into or accidentally opened during transportation.
From: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications ... 2-eng.html

More: Personal importations by non-residents

79. Unlike Canadian residents, non-residents importing non-restricted firearms will always need to have a valid purpose for importing. Valid purposes can include:

(a) hunting during their respective seasons;
(b) use in competitions;
(c) repair;
(d) re-enactments;
(e) in transit movement (i.e., moving in the most direct route possible from point A to point B, through Canada); or
(f) protection against wildlife in remote areas.
80. A border services officer must be satisfied that the circumstances warrant the firearm being imported. Non-residents who are proceeding to a Canadian national park should be advised that many national parks do not allow firearms. In addition, non-residents under 18 years of age are not permitted to transfer their firearm to an adult to ensure its importation. Please note that only non-restricted firearms can be used for hunting purposes and protection against wildlife in remote areas. Use of firearms for personal protection, or protection of property is not deemed a valid purpose to import firearms into Canada.

More: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/menu-eng.html

Hope this helps to cover all your bases, Captain. Hate to hear that you got hung up at the border.
Northern Lite Traveler design: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51991
Minimalist torsion axle frame: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12220
Alaska Teardrop photo gallery: http://tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=2014
Glampette photo gallery; gallery/album.php?album_id=2983&sk=t&sd=d&st=0
alaska teardrop
Platinum Donating Member

Postby capnTelescope » Fri May 05, 2017 11:08 am

Thank you CanuckShooter and AlaskaTeardrop for your research and input. Even worse than getting hung up at the border is getting hung up (jailed) in the interior. :frightened: :thumbsup: :D

I promise to report my experience(s) as I am able.
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImageImage

Building the Bed & Breakfast
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby capnTelescope » Mon May 08, 2017 10:17 pm

CanuckShooter on Apr 18, 2017 wrote:I saw a medium sized black bear stand up on it's hind legs [about 100 feet away] and give us a look over. It dropped down onto all fours and I could see it was approaching us by the movement of the willows it was in. It popped back out on road about 50 feet away from us and it's hair was all up on it's back, it was popping it's teeth and snarling and clawing at the ground and steadily approaching. ... That bear was dangerous, we would have been in trouble if we couldn't have easily gotten away from him, and he was only maybe 200 pounds. After we thought about it more we thought we probably should have killed him because if he always has that attitude he could hurt somebody.

It just occurred to me (3 weeks later), that if the same bear had returned and acted more friendly the second time, it MIGHT be a bi-Polar Bear.
bah dah bump! :laughter:

Sorry, everyone. I just had to share a bad pun.

Brad
ImageImageImage

capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby KCStudly » Fri May 12, 2017 1:57 pm

Capn' I'm surprised no one has mentioned that you are supposed to act differently depending on what variety of bear you come across.
https://www.nps.gov/subjects/bears/safety.htm
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby CanuckShooter » Fri May 12, 2017 7:34 pm

I wouldn't follow some of that advice....lol...if a bear wants your food, let them have it. :thinking: Don't climb a tree?? Some people have avoided a mauling by climbing trees. :thinking: One of the biggest tips is don't panic. Others are don't try to run away, don't try to intimidate or run off a bear and do your best to not attract them to your camp, keep it clean...food packed away, nothing with nice smells that will bring them in.

And don't sweat it too much, the vast majority of bears will not cause you any problems.
CanuckShooter
Teardrop Master

Postby capnTelescope » Sun May 14, 2017 7:59 pm

KCStudly wrote:https://www.nps.gov/subjects/bears/safety.htm

"Identify yourself by talking calmly so the bear knows you are a human and not a prey animal. Remain still; stand your ground but slowly wave your arms. Help the bear recognize you as a human. It may come closer or stand on its hind legs to get a better look or smell. A standing bear is usually curious, not threatening."

Some of what I've read leads me to believe bears don't see all that well. Is that true?

Brad
ImageImageImage

capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby tony.latham » Sun May 14, 2017 9:50 pm

Guns and bears, oh my! :shock:

I'll step out of the closet. I taught firearms and deadly force to police officers for two decades. Officers in my department fired about 1,000 rounds a year and were very competent with their sidearms.

However, when bad things happen, officers end up hitting their assailant about 1 out of 10 shots. And most police shootings occur under ten yards.

Now put that 10% hit rate in the context of a grizzly charge. It's the same adrenal dump as a police shooting. Grizzlies can cover fifty yards in three seconds. Dump a pistol at a charging bear and if you're lucky you may hit him. If you hit the lottery, it will destroy his central nervous system. If you're semi-lucky hit is in the torso, you'll have to bite your tongue until he bleeds out.

Anyone can hit a bear with a red cloud of bear spray. It's as big as a car and they run into it. The stuff is highly effective. You just have to practice your deployment and get that muscle memory tuned up. :frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Mon May 15, 2017 9:03 am

Do you know how to tell a Grizzly Bears poop from a Black Bear's?
The Black Bears will have seeds and parts of berries. And bells and whistles. The Grizzly's will have bits and pieces of bones, and pepper spray bottles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby lrrowe » Mon May 15, 2017 9:29 am

Padilen wrote:Do you know how to tell a Grizzly Bears poop from a Black Bear's?
The Black Bears will have seeds and parts of berries. And bells and whistles. The Grizzly's will have bits and pieces of bones, and pepper spray bottles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess this is one plus of camping in the East.....no Grizzies. Just an increasing greater number of Black ones.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby CanuckShooter » Mon May 15, 2017 5:21 pm

I think some of them are nearsighted. Others will spot you from hundreds of yards away and run for cover.
CanuckShooter
Teardrop Master

Postby lrrowe » Mon May 15, 2017 6:04 pm

I had an experience in the Geo. Washington Forest in VA last fall while deer scouting where I noticed the biggest Black Bear I have ever seen here. Since he moved and appeared to head towards my son, grandson and me, we were on high alert.
But thankgoodness, he turned and ran the other way. We were ready with sticks to beat the trees, bear spray out and a pistol to my side. This was a case where you could not be the fastest runner. ( opps....this is a bad joke.

Maybe he could have been nearsighted and could not make out what we were....and three of us standing together, could have looked like a huge threat.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Mon May 15, 2017 7:41 pm

My recollection of serious bear incidents in the western U.S. involving campers in semi-recent years are these two: A fatal in Utah in 2007 and a fatal in Montana in 2010. (both involved tent campers)

I have no idea how many tens of thousands of camping nights occur in the Rocky Mountains every year, but you have a much higher chance of being mauled by a dog than a bear. It just isn't a problem. (Until something goes bump in the night!) :frightened:

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby lrrowe » Mon May 15, 2017 7:49 pm

tony.latham wrote:My recollection of serious bear incidents in the western U.S. involving campers in semi-recent years are these two: A fatal in Utah in 2007 and a fatal in Montana in 2010. (both involved tent campers)

I have no idea how many tens of thousands of camping nights occur in the Rocky Mountains every year, but you have a much higher chance of being mauled by a dog than a bear. It just isn't a problem. (Until something goes bump in the night!) :frightened:

T

From an East Coaster's point of view, I hope you are right. But most likely due (IMHO) to the reduced hunting and taking of Black Bears, their numbers seemed to have jumped significantly. I see them every year now when in the woods, but many years back, If I saw one in 3-5 years that was unusual. Increased numbers also can contribute to increased sightings or events. Just the past week, a mama bear and her two cubs where discovered in the city of Roanoke, VA. Last year a young one was phtographed 3/4 mi from my home.
Bob

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Mon May 15, 2017 7:53 pm

lrrowe wrote:
tony.latham wrote:My recollection of serious bear incidents in the western U.S. involving campers in semi-recent years are these two: A fatal in Utah in 2007 and a fatal in Montana in 2010. (both involved tent campers)

T

From an East Coaster's point of view, I hope you are right. But most likely due (IMHO) to the reduced hunting and taking of Black Bears, their numbers seemed to have jumped significantly. I see them every year now when in the woods, but many years back, If I saw one in 3-5 years that was unusual. Increased numbers also can contribute to increased sightings or events. Just the past week, a mama bear and her two cubs where discovered in the city of Roanoke, VA. Last year a young one was phtographed 3/4 mi from my home.

But when was the last time a camper got bit?

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby CanuckShooter » Mon May 15, 2017 8:11 pm

Just a couple of years ago a couple was camping with a moto rhome, just a few hours north of our house. The female went into the motor home to sleep one night and the fellow stayed outside. It appeared that he fell asleep in his chair beside the fire. The black bear had grabbed him by the neck and drug him into the bush for a meal. They found him late the next morning...
CanuckShooter
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion