Atwood 2 Burner Cooktop

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Atwood 2 Burner Cooktop

Postby Woodchuck_Finn » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:52 pm

Hi all,

My teardrop's coming along nicely and I'm working on the galley now. I bought an Atwood 2 burner cooktop and I'm having a lot of trouble getting it started. Does anyone else have experience or tips with this cooktop? I bought a hose with a regulator and hooked it up to the 20lb propane tank that I've been using on my regular grill. I open the valve on the propane tank, then turn one of the knobs on the cooktop to "LITE", and try lighting it with a lighter, but I'm not smelling any propane and it's not lighting up.

I got some advice to hold down the knob when I turn it and hold it until I hear hissing from the propane, but the sound never changed. I guess the reasoning behind this is that the hose needs to fill with propane first. It's a five foot hose. Am I not waiting long enough?

Could there be a defect in the stove/hose I bought or am I missing something.

Thank you for any tips!

- Finn
Woodchuck_Finn
Teardrop Inspector

Atwood 2 Burner Cooktop

Postby Padilen » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:11 pm

If I remember correctly I think that a grill regulator isn't correct. You need a bigger (flow or is it pressure?) one , that would be able do like a whole trailer. I believe if search works for you there is a thread about it. Sorry if I'm incorrect as I haven't hooked up mine yet, and I have a different regulator to try to use.
Padilen
Donating Member

Re: Atwood 2 Burner Cooktop

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:01 pm

We have an Atwood three burner and started out with a single stage regulator. I am however feeding not only the cook top but the water heater and occasionally the grill so switched to a two stage regulator.
My question is if you are getting any flow, there is a mechanism in the regulator that if too great a flow will shut it down (dog chews through hose). Then it is a matter of turning it off and slowly opening it. In my case the local propane grill seller can also test regulators to see if they are putting out the correct pressure or for that matter any pressure.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Re: Atwood 2 Burner Cooktop

Postby Woodchuck_Finn » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:38 pm

Forgot to follow up on this. After much trouble-shooting, I got the little camper stove working after I posted this initial question! This is incredibly obvious and I should have figured it out way sooner, but there was a little plug right on the attachment for the hose in the stove. I initially attached the hose for the propane right over the plug (duh!). Once I took the plug out, the propane was able to flow and I had no trouble starting it up. Figured I'd share in case anybody else had trouble with the same product. Just love getting new products that have no directions, lol.

Thanks for the quick responses!

- Finn
Woodchuck_Finn
Teardrop Inspector

Return to General Discussion