squaredrop vs traditional teardrop

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

squaredrop vs traditional teardrop

Postby doris s. » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:41 pm

Hi teardrop builders,

My hubby and I are pondering our second build. We have a 6x10 big tex trailer on order. We have been discussing what style to build. I'm thinking of building a squaredrop because it is more contemporary and barn doors on the back are easy to build, easy to keep water out vs. a curved back. The inside of a squaredrop can be built without the kitchen step which makes for a bigger sleeping space.

My questions are....Have any folks here built a squaredrop? If so what is the height of the side walls 4, 5 or 5 and 1/2 feet? How does this design tow? Does your camper have a bike carrier on top the camper?

Any pics, ideas and opinions are welcome!

Thanks,
Doris
doris s.
500 Club

Re: squaredrop vs traditional teardrop

Postby BigGoofyGuy » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:25 am

This is the first time I heard of a squaredrop trailer. I have seen some but did not realize they were squaredrops. I have no experience other than seeing photos of them.

Perhaps a squaredrop would be easier to make since it does not (really) have any curves in them?
Perhaps a squaredrop like this one?
Trekker Trailers. http://trekkertrailers.com/the-simple-teardrop-sleeper/
Perhaps a squaredrop like this one?
Go Little Guy reverse teardrop. http://www.chilhoweerv.com/little-guy-rt-teardrop-trailer.php
8)
BigGoofyGuy
The 300 Club

Postby les45 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:15 pm

I'm partial to the weekender style. It has all flat surfaces and has the contemporary look. Also easy to build without having to bend for curves. With your 10' trailer, you would have plenty of room. Mine is 5X10 on a 5X8 NT trailer and 4' high.

les45
500 Club

Postby roadie » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:51 pm

doris s. wrote:Hi teardrop builders,

My hubby and I are pondering our second build. We have a 6x10 big tex trailer on order. We have been discussing what style to build. I'm thinking of building a squaredrop because it is more contemporary and barn doors on the back are easy to build, easy to keep water out vs. a curved back. The inside of a squaredrop can be built without the kitchen step which makes for a bigger sleeping space.

My questions are....Have any folks here built a squaredrop? If so what is the height of the side walls 4, 5 or 5 and 1/2 feet? How does this design tow? Does your camper have a bike carrier on top the camper?

Any pics, ideas and opinions are welcome!

Thanks,
Doris

Here's my 4x8 square drop, walls are 4' tall. Tows great.Image
roadie
Teardrop Inspector

Postby dales133 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:57 am

I personaly think even though square edges sound easier to construct they have more corners to seal and unless you go for solid walls most of the constructions the same amount of work.
If its just down to looks well thats a personal thing and we all want what we want. Just my 2 cents

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Vedette » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:34 am

Teardrops were originally designed for Aerodynamics! :thinking:
As a cross section of an aeroplane wing, the produce very little "Dirty" air while going down the road, creating less drag. Thus, better gas mileage.
Plus, they are "Beautiful"! :D
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

I think it depends more on what you want

Postby Brushy_Bill » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:31 am

The nice thing is, you will have something to use while you decide.
Good Luck
I have not built anything yet.
I have been going over several drawings I have done. From grasshoppers, weekenders, Grumman profiles.
It is hard to decide. Really Hard
I don't think a traditional teardrop would really be any harder than the others. As someone else stated,
the weekenders/crickets do have more sharp corners to deal with (keep square and plumb).
I do like the weekender profile. I came across another profile from a guy in Ohio.
Ty Dean Customs.
http://tydeancustomcampers.webs.com/teardropplans.htm

I had a drawing for a Grumman that is 8 foot long.

Here it is laid over one similar to Ty Dean's. You can see there is more interior space in the cabin.
and much more available in the galley area. Was actually able to move the interior cabinets towards the rear.
Blue guy is 5'10"

I need something small to get a fairly quick build. Will only be using it one or two nights a week.
I have drawings for a foam standie, but need something I can use now. That way I can take all the time I need
for the standie.
8 foot x 4 foot is very small, but I have been used to camping in small backpacking tents most of my life. The "Square Drop"
I have drawn above has more room than most of the tents I have used. I have a friend who goes with me on occasions.
She is not quite 5 foot tall, we have not had much trouble camping in my back packing tents.

I have always really liked the traditional tear drop profiles. I would hate to go through all that work and not get
any more interior space than is available.
Here is the standie I want to build. (14 feet x 80" wide x 80" tall, 6' highest interior height)
One single bed/futon across the front, TV and storage in the rear, slide out on curb side rear for a stove/cooking surface.
Can use electric griddle/grill on counter in interior when needed. Plenty of room for a temporary cot.

Edited for poor spelling.
Brushy_Bill
Teardrop Advisor

Postby rowerwet » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:55 am

Actually a teardrop looks aerodynamic, but it really isn't as much as you think. Those flat side walls cause a ton of drag, and wind tunnel testing shows that the airflow separates at about the hatch hinge.
The camp inn raindrop design is better as the front treatment is the biggest drag.
I built a squaredrop called Mercury. It has a blunted V shaped nose, and a reverse slope galley hatch. It tows just fine.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby JaggedEdges » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:42 pm

Yep, preaching to the choir here on that one, I want my drop to have more of a Kammback style rear end with clean edge separation. I'm not terribly worried about the front though, since I'm not planning it will be taller or very much wider than anything I plan to tow it with, so it should be running in "draft" as it were. Though I should make an estimate of the line of the air coming off the back of the tailgate spoiler on the van and try to "pick it up" before it hits something flat.
Jack of all trades, Doctor of rocket surgery and fellow of the noble college of shadetree meddlers. "in argentum tenax vinculum speramus"
JaggedEdges
Teardrop Master

Postby lacofdfireman » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:57 am

My build isn't a teardrop and according to the photos I see it's not a squares rip either. Great now my trailer has identity issues.

I still have a lot of work to do but hopefully it will be done in about 3 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lacofdfireman
Teardrop Master

Postby BrwBier » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:05 pm

I personally prefer traditional teardrops. The curves are not that hard to do and one thing to think about is that an egg gets its strength from its shape. No matter which way you go you will get all the help you ask for and then some.
Brwbier
BrwBier
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby JaggedEdges » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:47 pm

lacofdfireman wrote:My build isn't a teardrop and according to the photos I see it's not a squares rip either. Great now my trailer has identity issues.

We can call it a heep pusher if you like. ;)
Jack of all trades, Doctor of rocket surgery and fellow of the noble college of shadetree meddlers. "in argentum tenax vinculum speramus"
JaggedEdges
Teardrop Master

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:23 pm

Grasshopper design 1091229612896127
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby lacofdfireman » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:08 pm

JaggedEdges wrote:
lacofdfireman wrote:My build isn't a teardrop and according to the photos I see it's not a squares rip either. Great now my trailer has identity issues.

We can call it a heep pusher if you like. ;)

Haha. I like.
lacofdfireman
Teardrop Master

Postby working on it » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:20 am

• Good luck with your build. there are many good examples of either type of trailer here to emulate. Plus many one-off variants. My 4'x8' trailer is not a good one to copy, as it was built as an experiment in packaging max strength/max features vs. min size/min weight. The latter prevailed. It was made with all surfaces flat, for simplicity of construction, and of 3/4" plywood with steel joinery for strength. It turned out plenty strong, though a bit heavy.
  • The original concept was to make it simple, strong,and with a 45 degree front slope for aerodynamics (since I couldn't bend 3/4" ply). The Kammback was also in the original plan, though I used a semi-rigid piece of conveyor belting to create the Kamm effect. Aerodynamics was 1/3 of the concept, simplicity of fabrication another 1/3, and strength the last 1/3. I had intended it to be towed in the air shadow of either my wife's Cobalt, or my HHR Panel, but it ended up way too heavy to be towed by either (1600+ lbs, way over their tow limits of 1000 lbs each). Ended up towing with my truck, so the aero is not a factor, nor the weight.
  • That's ok, though, since I started out wanting it to be semi-offroad capable, so weight be damned, I was able to keep adding more features (+weight) and a stronger undercarriage (3500lb axle, springs) to make it more offroad capable. So, is it a squareback or teardrop or what (expedition trailer)? The question of teardrop or not was covered here : viewtopic.php?f=2&t=57017.
Last edited by working on it on Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Next

Return to General Discussion