My take on making coffee in camp and the end solution.

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: My take on making coffee in camp and the end solution.

Postby slowcowboy » Tue May 03, 2016 9:39 pm

eybay! supplys!. my latest coffee pot is enamual. its black speckled and should hold a gallon or 2.............its 12 and a half inches high. and 11 inches wide on the bottom

it has two handle on it and should take lots of folgers in heapying scoopes............ :D photos are to hard to add to the forum so yep no more photos from slow............I dune gave up on the photos posting............to much of a hassel any more...........slowcowboy...........
Plans. there was supposed to be plans to be followed when I built this thing. Opps! AH, gee, tum,tee tum. I think I forgot about the plans 2 years ago. ------Tow vehicles, 1995 ford explore, 1994 ford ranger, 1993 ford F-150, 2009 4x9 Off road teardrop, on harbor freight greatly modified frame.
slowcowboy
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby JaggedEdges » Wed May 04, 2016 7:07 am

Test ran my perc pot alcohol fired "coffee appliance" yesterday... have several issues to solve...

First off, test runs have misled me about rate of fuel consumption, 15mins fuel only lasted 10, I think this is probably due to the burner not getting to "terminal heat" in the short runs, thus when it's hot hot, it evaps the alc more rapidly and burns more fierce. That's sort of a good thing, means it's a "higher power" burner than I thought...but...

Most of the burner heat was wasted heating up the stand... yeah I suspected this problem, it's quite a lump of metal, with unnecessarily large "vanes" of legs, and has as much surface contact with the pot as it lets the pot expose to burner. Not sure at the moment whether I'm going to hack away at it to remove "heatsink" surface, and limit contact area with pot, or start afresh, make a replacement... don't think I have any suitable wire, would like a little more robust than coathanger... Not sure if I mentioned I found a perforated metal "basket" to use as a wind shield... I may just integrate with that, put some long bolts in to hold pot.

So stand got super hot in 10 mins, pot not so much, so transferred it to kitchen stove, took a minute to boil from there, let it perk 3 mins, which I have been told is max not to kill the coffee, and turned it off... Coffee was meh, I'd filled pot to 5 cup level and put 5 scoops of Folgers in. It was weak, so not sure if I should have perked longer, or used more coffee... however, the Folgers we have been getting recently has been disappointing in our drip machine, on the weak side in that, so not sure how much to blame the coffee at the moment. Yeah I gave up on trying to find a cheaper commercial medium grind for now, not paying $15 for a pound of custom coffee, though if I find a cheap grinder I might pick beans up from bulk store, I just rattled the folgers to make sure all the dusty stuff went to the bottom and used that, not a heck of a lot got into the pot, just a bit of dust, and the pot design helped prevent it from coming out in the pour.

Anyway, upshot of that is, I think I've got enough burner and I think the pot might make reasonable coffee with some adjustments to coffee fill.
Jack of all trades, Doctor of rocket surgery and fellow of the noble college of shadetree meddlers. "in argentum tenax vinculum speramus"
JaggedEdges
Teardrop Master

Postby slowcowboy » Wed May 04, 2016 7:23 am

cowboy coffee should not be chewy!!!!!! done right you wont have a ground one in your cup!.........it takes time to slow boil not rushing and time to settle the grounds after you take her off the burner...........and time on the cold water bath. ..... you really need to time this with a timer to get it right not enough time after you pull of the burner or the cold water bath after that is grounds in the cup......... lessons I am learning as I practice up to be a good ranch cook.......

the key to a good pot of cowboy folgers is no grounds in your cup......yes for cowboy coffee we prefer folgers over Maxwell house.

slowcowboy
Plans. there was supposed to be plans to be followed when I built this thing. Opps! AH, gee, tum,tee tum. I think I forgot about the plans 2 years ago. ------Tow vehicles, 1995 ford explore, 1994 ford ranger, 1993 ford F-150, 2009 4x9 Off road teardrop, on harbor freight greatly modified frame.
slowcowboy
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby JaggedEdges » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:52 pm

The "exact right" bit of stuff to redo the perc stand hasn't turned up yet...

However, meanwhile... Turned up a 300W Single cup that will run off a power box or 350W inverter I've got... By Salton. Garage sale find.

Just today, grabbed a banged up but functional looking aluminum drip pot set, with a reservoir with small holes in, filter basket underneath and pot, that all fits together neat. Nice and light. Think I still need additional vessel to boil in though.

Camping prospects for this year look more off griddy than last.... getting access to some rural property through contacts.
Jack of all trades, Doctor of rocket surgery and fellow of the noble college of shadetree meddlers. "in argentum tenax vinculum speramus"
JaggedEdges
Teardrop Master

Postby Socal Tom » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:57 pm

I've got my own hybrid system now too. I use the french press to brew the coffee, but I don't use the "Press", I pour it through a drip filter. Its smooth and strong like the FP makes, but reduces the clean up significantly.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Cosmo » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:48 pm

Nice!
My solution. They fold flat if you are pinched for space.
http://amzn.to/2lUdr50

=Cosmo
Cosmo
Teardrop Master

Postby booyah » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:47 am

I really like my french press, water usually isnt an issue for me being in Michigan

This is my goto for this year
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015P91SBK/

I've been using a standard glass french press for the last few years, but I always worry about it bouncing around in the trailer and breaking... :oops:

if you arent afraid of getting your hand a little messy, just a paper towel or two will clean out the vessel, with a little water on another to clean the filter and you're golden for cleaning up a press... :D

My kids understand the importance of coffee, until coffee is made no one gets breakfast... Coffee is so dad doesnt murder everyone :thumbsup:
My build, 5x8 modified benroy "Smiles to go". Started April 2nd 2015, first trip August 2nd 2015.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63145
booyah
The 300 Club

Postby jim mcdermott » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:16 pm

As my wife doesn't drink coffee, I have a Keurig single in the back of mine. My wife got me a basket drip system but it had little weight to it and tended to fly around a bit if not properly stored. The Keurig unit has a decent center weight base and Ican secure it pretty easy.

Jim around Hilton Head

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk
jim mcdermott
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Cosmo » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:46 pm

Yes its becoming clear coffee is the glue that holds the universe together. That realization is probably a clear indicator I need more coffee.

Another one cupper is this one with a built in filter. http://amzn.to/2mxPqEh
Stainless more steel models
http://amzn.to/2m0KLYd
http://amzn.to/2m0XKJj
http://amzn.to/2lZzMQx

The true coffee aficionado will settle for nothing less than their own coffee roaster too. Roasted beans start oxidizing quickly. Green beans keep stay fresh much longer.
http://amzn.to/2mffxi5

In case you need a camp conversation starter just take out your rotary roaster...
http://amzn.to/2lEvCLh

Grandma used to roast in a pan. I have used a hot air popcorn maker and it worked fine.

Warning - the smell of roasting coffee will attract sleepy campers.

=Cosmo
Cosmo
Teardrop Master

Postby stumphugger » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:03 am

I'm lazy. I got one of these https://www.myjocoffee.com/

I like it so well that I have brought it into the house to use this winter. It takes less water to clean up than a French press. In fact, the clean up factor is why I use it. I don't know how the coffee tastes because I like to make mochas.
stumphugger
500 Club

Postby Nobody » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:03 am

We are not coffee gourmets. We use standard grind Colombian coffee & a percolator with a square, paper filter in the basket. We currently have a 6-cup stainless steel pot with a glass 'bubble' on top. We do carry water for coffee separately from our normal supply. Every night before bedtime I fill the pot from our coffee water container, put a filter in the basket, add grounds (lightly heaped teaspoonful per cup of water) & set it on the stove. If we're in the teardrop we use a small butane cartridge stove kept in the galley, if we're in the Casita I set it on the 2-burner cook-top. When our alarm goes off in the morning I either get out of bed, raise the galley hatch & light the butane stove under the pot, or simply light the burner under the pot in the Casita. When it begins to 'perk' I lower the flame enough to get a 'perk' every few seconds, & 5 minutes later we have hot, delicious coffee (I'm a 5-minute man for coffee perking). For almost 40years we used a 7-cup aluminum percolator but the plastic 'bubble' on top finally got so mis-shapen it wouldn't stay in the lid so I 'invested' in the stainless pot... From the first pot it has produced excellent coffee, without the 'taste' we'd sometimes get from the aluminum. We're very pleased with our new pot :applause:
Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby kokomoto » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:41 pm

Boil water, add 2 or 3 scoops of your favorite course ground beans, pour the water into the coffee press, wait 4 minutes, smash the press, enjoy your coffee. Fast enough for me. Not sure how you're cleaning your press, but a splash of wash after dumping the grounds is all mine requires. No filters to buy or run out of. Simple, compact, and fool proof.

If your water is too hot (boiling) it will cause the burned beans flavor. Let the water cool down from the boil a bit. The time it takes to scoop the beans into the press is usually long enough. If it's too cool, it won't bring the oils out of the beans and the full flavor won't develop during the brew.

Some years ago I had acid reflux problems. It was bad enough that I was considering seeing a doctor about it, who probably would have prescribed the latest miracle drug. I then switched from the cheap, mass produced brand of coffe they were brewing in the coffee maker at work. The acid reflux went away completely. When I started drinking the cheap stuff again, the acid reflux came back. I now buy only 100% arabica beans for my coffee. I later discovered that cheaper brands often use the robusto beans which are cheaper to grow. They also have a much higher acid level which I believe causes the acid reflux problem for me. The also taste crappy and bitter even when brewed properly.

Coffee Gourmet? Yep! And my stomach is much happier for it. :beer:
kokomoto
Teardrop Master

Postby UK-Corlett » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:52 pm

Espresso anyone?

I have had this for years, makes a great cup.

Clive
UK-Corlett
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to General Discussion