The RV Death Spiral

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: The RV Death Spiral

Postby lrrowe » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:32 pm

Thought this post which I stumbled across is appropriate for this thread.

http://modernhousewife-themodernhousewi ... amper.html
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby mustangcats » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:50 pm

The article said to re-putty (caulk) the seams. On my trailer I believe my method is more permanent. After caulking the seams I used Eternabond tape on all the corner seams and then put the trim molding on and trimmed away the excess tape.
mustangcats
Silver Donating Member

Postby PKCSPT » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:18 am

I've been thinking about redoing mine. It is 6 years old and no leaks I can find, garage kept. Hate to fix something that isn't broke, good chance I will not do as good a job. Good tips in the article.
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby wagondude » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:19 am

mustangcats wrote:The article said to re-putty (caulk) the seams. On my trailer I believe my method is more permanent. After caulking the seams I used Eternabond tape on all the corner seams and then put the trim molding on and trimmed away the excess tape.

Funny you should say that as the link to part two of her camper sealing article is about using Eternabond for the final waterproofing,
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby kamperdog72 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:38 am

I can concur to the whole idea of RVs are garbage now. Thats why I've come back to this forum. I have a 2008 Kodiak 195 hybrid trailer that has been steady falling apart since shortly after I got it. Bunkends failing and leaking. Delamination. Fenders literally fell off. SOmething leaked and the entire floor is sagging and rotting. Battery draining issues. The step tore out of the floor as I was exiting this past weekend. Radio went out shortly after I got it. I'm done. Teardrop n Tiny Trailer here I come.
kamperdog72
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:50 am

Don’t feel bad, we had the exact same thing happen and lost a bundle .... And we came back looking for REVENGE against the Evil RV Empire .... “ May the Tow be with you “ !!! :lol:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby friz » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:13 pm

To build a quality rv it would take quality materials, quality employees, and manhours. The majority of consumers are not willing to pay for these and the marketing and sales to get them to market.

Sent from my Altair 8800 using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby Roly Nelson » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:55 pm

It seems that some think all RVs are just slapped together, and designed to fall apart in short order. I highly suggest building your own, out of quality materials and give it loving care for many years thereafter. I still have my little woody, built 14 years ago, doesnt leak a drop and looks fine with a fresh coat of varnish every year. However I truely believe quality teardrops are being built, yet today. I have been though a teardrop manufacturing factory in Wisconsin, where I noticed the exceptionally high regard to fit and finish, resulting in a high quality camping trailer, probably unmatched in the TD business. Sorry, the name of the company has slipped my mind. I do remember that the rig is a perfect away-from-home Inn, designed expressly for the person who loves to Camp.
8) :o ;) Roly, the li'l ol' woody guy in So Calif
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:53 pm

Roly, I am willing to bet you are thinking of Camp Inn, Talked with the owner at a gathering and his comment they do not believe in doing warranty work if they can avoid it, and the way you do that is building it right with quality components.
Last edited by Shadow Catcher on Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Tripmaker » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:14 pm

GPW wrote:I guess the real question is , why doesn’t some one intentionally build a trailer/RV with Good materials , wisely used ??? ... We all know it’s possible ... Is it that they are just so free Ken GREEDY ??? They say it would drive the cost up ... True ( a little bit) , but without all the expensive maintenance and short life , it would be lots cheaper in the long haul .... For Us !!! :thumbsup:

Visit the Airstream factory in Ohio to see quality and the quality assurance that goes into one. Of course their smalest cheapest camper costs more than my first home.
Jim

I started with nothing and still have most of it left.
Tripmaker
500 Club

Postby aggie79 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:36 am

Tripmaker wrote:
GPW wrote:I guess the real question is , why doesn’t some one intentionally build a trailer/RV with Good materials , wisely used ??? ... We all know it’s possible ... Is it that they are just so free Ken GREEDY ??? They say it would drive the cost up ... True ( a little bit) , but without all the expensive maintenance and short life , it would be lots cheaper in the long haul .... For Us !!! :thumbsup:

Visit the Airstream factory in Ohio to see quality and the quality assurance that goes into one. Of course their smalest cheapest camper costs more than my first home.

I haven't been to the factory, but it seems that since Thor purchased Airstream, Airstream has moved down a few notches in quality. We have looked at several Airstreams at the local dealer. Exterior fit and finish seem to be top notch still, but the interior fit and finish are not where they used to be. The interior aluminum panels are poorly fit, there are gaps in the overlaps, seams don't align, and panel edges and corners are sharp and not eased. The range, refrigerator, and air conditioner are standard "RV grade" appliances.

In my opinion Airstreams were once worth their premium price. Now I don't feel they are.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Previous

Return to General Discussion