It's Cool in Here!

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

It's Cool in Here!

Postby JuneBug » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:56 am

I'm in central Texas and the temps this summer have been blistering. It's been at or near 100 degrees or more every day since early June, and, as Robert Earl Keen says, "It's been a long hot summer, not a drop of rain."

Walking in my neighborhood, I came across a car (sedan) covered with something called a Cool Cap. It covers the top of the car and all the windows.
You can find them at

http://www.itscoolinhere.com/shop/

They have five basic sizes and a tarp and claim a Cool Cap keeps the interior of a car, truck, or SUV cool as cool can be. I just went online to order one for our new van and a tarp for the pop-up and discovered that they are sold out of most car/truck sizes and the tarp, although they anticipate being restocked "in a few weeks". Was just thinking that the tarp could be configured to work as a teardrop cover without too much trouble, if you camp in a hot area without shade or if you wanted to protect a teardrop from heat & sun damage if stored outside. The FAQs state that the covers will last "a few seasons".

The material used is called Reflectionite, newly patented material. Just curious is there is any similar product that could be purchased by the yard.
"The large print giveth; the small print taketh away" Tom Waits
JuneBug
Donating Member

Re: It's Cool in Here!

Postby Camp4Life » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:18 pm

For tenting, I use a grey heavy-duty double-layered tarp. It's cheap and works great. A HUGE difference in keeping our tent cool for those mornings when we sleep in. Without the tarp, it gets way too hot in there by 9am...

Looks like so:

You can buy them anywhere, and like I said, dirt cheap so it's worth trying it out. I think the 12x6 foot one I got was $19. Just make sure it's grey side up ;)
Camp4Life
Teardrop Master

Re: It's Cool in Here!

Postby JuneBug » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:18 pm

Just checked in on the ItsCoolinHere.com Web site. Their standard and SUV/Mini Van sizes will be back in stock in early December.

I added myself to their notification list; I think all Texas summers will continue to be awful and something that is light and easy to deploy to keep the car from heating up in the driveway is much needed. No word yet on when tarps might be available.

Wondering if low-E insulation or Reflectix would work just as well?
"The large print giveth; the small print taketh away" Tom Waits
JuneBug
Donating Member

Return to General Discussion