Stabilized jacks do you use them?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Stabilized jacks do you use them?

Postby KennethW » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:49 am

I am wondering how many people use their jack. I don't have them and I do not miss not having them. I have a 5 wide foamie on a HF trailer with the center leaf remove from the spring. There is very little bounce when sleeping. Am I along in not using jacks?
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Stabilized jacks do you use them?

Postby GuitarPhotog » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:06 am

I use them, whenever I unhitch from the tow vehicle.

I have the light-weight aluminum screw jacks that a few minutes to deploy. Since it requires laying down next to the trailer, I don't use them if it's raining, etc.

My springs are very stiff, but I still don't like the sway in the trailer without them.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:37 pm

I had them on our Hunter teardrop. We used them the first camp or two back in 2004. When I built our 5x10 in 2013 I didn't add them.

I read where some use them each night. I suspect it's a matter of whether or not your axle is far enough back (with enough tongue weight) to make for a solid three-point setup. Just a theory.

Here we are parked when we couldn't find a a nearly-flat spot.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby 3GKnight » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:41 pm

My axle is quite far back in the weight distribution and is quite solid on the tires and tongue jack, but I have a scissor jack at each rear corner, really just used for leveling. They've been necessary for all trips so far. In most cases the site was not level but in all cases I wanted my bacon grease to be evenly distributed on the griddle. :D
3GKnight
Donating Member

Postby Cosmo » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:40 pm

My trailer came with stabilizer legs that flip down. I was skeptical at first, but they work fine.
I notice it if I have a pot or glass full of something on the kitchen counter and "trailer bunny" is moving around in the trailer. Without the stabilizer a full glass may spill some precious mead from the suspension movement. With the legs down (umm no, the trailer legs...) there is no spillage which reduces bickering. For leveling I carry a couple of 8 inch long 2X4 blocks.

-Cosmo

FUN WITH TEARDROP TRAILER VIDEOS
https://www.youtube.com/CosmoWeems/videos

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

Postby Nobody » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:52 pm

when I built our TD in 2006 on an HF 1800# trailer, I installed BAL type crank down stabilizers on each corner. They were of immeasurable value in helping stabilize the trailer during construction, & after leveling, they're the first thing I deploy at EVERY campsite. My TD cabin is 60"x114"x 53" high; I moved the axle rearward & modified my tongue to include a center 'pole' & added 18" to the length of the tongue so I have plenty of tongue length & stability, yet I wouldn't consider sleeping in or utilizing the TD without deploying the stabilizers. It takes only a few seconds to lower the jacks with the hand crank & if I want faster I'll simply modify a 1/2" drive deep barrel socket & use my cordless DeWalt drill instead of the hand crank. In 10yrs, near 30K miles, & innumerable nights of camping, we've yet to spend a night without using the stabilizers. I want an absolutely solid trailer platform when I raise the hatch and/or go to sleep... 8)

Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:16 pm

If I leave my trailer hitched up to the tow vehicle, it's stable enough. If the trailer is unhitched, it gets a little rocky unless the stabilizers are down. It might be a bit safer with the stabilizers down, too, especially on a hill.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:24 pm

They were a pain to use and we never really needed them since we level with one scissor jack and the tongue wheel, when necessary.
Stopped installing them starting with TD #3.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby 2bits » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:09 am

I never used them with my teardrop and I only use the rear ones with my Scotty which is the same length as my teardrop but since I walk around in it there is more camper movement and more potential to tip.
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby ParTaxer » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:54 am

My teardrop came without them I thought often about installing them but really have never needed them . I do carry a scissors jack for leveling and also for changing tires if necessary . I have only use the scissors Jack one time in 10 years
I have wisdom beyond my years. In fact, I'm nearly senile.
ParTaxer
The 300 Club

Postby aggie79 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:06 am

I have two at the rear of the teardrop and use them all of the time.

Campsite procedure is to disconnect teardrop and then lower front of the teardrop below level (front to back) using the tongue jack. Then move to the rear of the teardrop and level the galley side to side. Then go back to the front and level the teardrop front to back with the tongue jack. Takes about two minutes and is very stable.

The rear stabilizers are also anchor points for ratchet straps to hold down my pop-up canopy.

(Yes, this is one of those unusual camp sites where the power pedestal is on the passenger or "curb" side.)
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby ae6black » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:43 am

I generally use them if I am going to be at camp for an extended period. I also often climb up on my cargo box and lean back against the front of the TD to watch the stars on good stargazing nights. Having the jacks down give me a little more stability. Also since I often camp with some rowdy family member pranksters, I use my four screw jacks to help insure that the TD stays put. Some of these pranksters would take my TD by hand down to another site just to be funny since it's so relatively light. Having the jacks down sort of buys me more time and makes it more effort for them to pull any shenanagans. When these pranksters are around I often also run a length of logging chain through the wheel and secure to the frame. None of these measures would stop a thief that was determined to abscond with my equipment but it does keep friends friendly.

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Postby booyah » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:59 am

I have two of these on the back corners of our benroy
https://www.amazon.com/Toughgrade-Teles ... B017WCO2G6

I use them everytime we camp somewhere. I find the camper is much more stable with them. I'm often cooking in the galley with kids flailing around inside, and wouldnt even want to think about firing up the stove without them.

they also are handy to use to level things out before going to bed in the evening.
My build, 5x8 modified benroy "Smiles to go". Started April 2nd 2015, first trip August 2nd 2015.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63145
booyah
The 300 Club

Postby mustangcats » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:44 pm

I don't have any. It's just me, so I can control any inside movements...although they may keep the trailer from shaking as much in windy weather. I usually only level my trailer from front to back and do not care as much about it being level from side to side (as long as it is not off by too much).
mustangcats
Silver Donating Member

Postby noseoil » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:13 am

I use them if I'm running the air conditioning (AC needs to drain properly), or if the ground isn't level enough for a good sleep. It just depends on conditions, how we feel & what a comfortable sleep requires. They don't really require much time to put down or lift up when it's time to leave.

That having been said, I have yet to run the AC in a place where it actually makes any water when it's going. The west is pretty dry, but I wouldn't want any water backing into the headboard during a sleep & wetting the mattress. I figure it's just better to have them in case they're needed. A good night's sleep is important to me.

Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Next

Return to General Discussion