Fanning the fire...

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Fanning the fire...

Postby mikeschn » Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:42 pm

A note from Cary...

Mike,

Just to fan the fire a bit. The Jetta with the Camp-Inn hooked up I sent you the picture of made it to Washington state. The driver reported back mileage of 32-33mpg with the Jetta's air conditioning on.

The teardrop was a 550 Classic with air conditioning so would weigh pretty close to 1,000lb even.

Cary

The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:09 pm

Cary,

Was that a diesel Jetta?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Cary Winch » Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:51 pm

Mike,

But of course. It is a nice car. I have driven it myself and really like it. I have a sneaking suspicion my wife wants me to get her one just like it.

This particular one is a 2000 and is normally run on biodeisel. With the bio fuel they get about 48mpg with it not pulling a trailer. I believe for the Washington state run however they were running regular dino juice.

Cary
Cary Winch
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby twc3 » Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:26 am

NICE !

Did you drive the car while it was towing the Tear ?

I would love to have a new Jetta TDI. I currently have a '83 Jetta ITD but I don't think I would like to see the smoke it would produce pulling my Tear. :shock: It only has 68hp and I could not find a tow specifications other than how to tow your broken VW. :D
twc3
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:46 pm

You're not going to find a tow specification for a Jetta in this country. VW doesn't want to be bothered. However, if you look for the European information, you'll find some information.

Another place to look is in the TDI forum, here
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeroforum?id=22

I have seen photos of Jetta pulling T@B's, which are 1500#.

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Cary Winch » Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:14 am

No guys I did not get a chance to try pulling a tear with the Jetta. The owner of the car is an old friend of mine. He was happening to plan a trip out to Oregon and heard we had some units being built for Washington state. The timing was good because this particular teardrop owner ran into some health problems and just was not able to make it out to pick his up. They struck a deal and he got his teardrop delivered cheap.

The Jetta owner borrowed one of our units to pull around a couple of days to make sure he would be comfortable pulling one out west. After that test he was pretty happy with it and knew he would have no troubles at all.

Cary
Cary Winch
Teardrop Manufacturer

Return to General Discussion