Postby DWT77 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:01 pm

Interesting product. Wonder how well it works

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/12 ... wards_page
DWT77
The 300 Club

Re: Zero Breeze Portable AC Unit

Postby DWT77 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:19 pm

I also saw this in the FAQ

I have a 2 150Ah lithium battery pack, how can I connect my battery pack to the air conditioner?

There will be two Aviation connectors that come with Zero-Breeze which allow you to connect a DIY power cord to the device along with your battery pack.
DWT77
The 300 Club

Postby mustangcats » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:13 pm

This sounds interesting. I read some of the questions that people had regarding the air conditioner, and the company representatives seemed to avoid answering some of them. Their batteries are only 40ah and last a maximum of 5 hours per charge. They say they would have aviation cables to use with your own battery and diy cord, but didn't provide any other details. Someone asked how long the unit would run on a car battery and they didn't answer that question. They also didn't answer the question regarding the life expectancy of the rotary compressor. One thing I found interesting is they say the Freon (134A) would last about 5 years. Unless the unit leaks Freon, I never heard of any lifespan on Freon or it being "used up". Too many unknowns on this new product.
mustangcats
Silver Donating Member

Postby Philip » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:14 pm

Production delivery date shows March of 2017. So time will tell. Its not that long off.

I like to size of it. If it works as rated. The build I am going to start on soon is in the size range that it is listed for. I am waiting to see if it pans out and read some reviews when they hit the market.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:14 pm

I might be interested; but, I'd want to see the reviews after it comes out on the market.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby noseoil » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:16 am

If the 150 watt power use is correct & it's a durable unit, it might fill the need for a smaller A/C to do a teardrop. At least it looks interesting. Once China steals the design, the price should come down to a reasonable cost. $500 at retail seems too expensive to me for this unit. About half that would be right, since you can buy a 5K window unit for about $130. Let's just wait & see what happens......
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby AzAv8r » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:44 pm

1100 BTU is just enough cooling to remove the heat two people create, so I'm really skeptical of its usefulness.
AzAv8r
Teardrop Builder

Postby Gladtobehere » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:46 am

Reads like a scam to me!

Portable AC are very inefficint. The exhaust air is conditioned inside air and must be replaced by unconditioned outside air. And it runs on a battery? For how long ?

I don't believe it.
Gladtobehere
Teardrop Advisor

Postby DrewsBrews » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:07 am

There are super tiny compressors out there. My father has a little ice maker that uses a compressor about 3" tall/wide. So it's not like they have to completely redesign the wheel on this one. However even mold design for the case is extremely expensive. Since it's a niche product, production outlook is likely fairly low, hence the inflated price.

It would be neat if they could make a tiny "window unit" to build into a wall with a remote mounted control module.
DrewsBrews
Donating Member

Postby lrrowe » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:09 pm

DrewsBrews wrote:There are super tiny compressors out there. My father has a little ice maker that uses a compressor about 3" tall/wide. So it's not like they have to completely redesign the wheel on this one. However even mold design for the case is extremely expensive. Since it's a niche product, production outlook is likely fairly low, hence the inflated price.

It would be neat if they could make a tiny "window unit" to build into a wall with a remote mounted control module.

Already done.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=66027&p=1169969&hilit=New+ac+unit#p1169969
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby mustangcats » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:39 pm

Think about it for a minute. If these micro air conditioners really worked the way their developers claim...don't you think that the the A/C makers such as Whirlpool, Frigidaire, etc. would already have similar items on the market? I'd say the reason they don't is simply because they won't work well and live up to the expectations of the buyers. Most people demand an air conditioner that will cool a room quickly, and certainly an 1100 BTU unit is not going to fit the bill. Also, if you can buy a time tested and proven 5000 BTU air conditioner for around $130, not very many people will pay far more for a much smaller unit that will not cool the way they expect.

Go back and read between the lines of the hype the promoters are making about the Zero Breeze A/C. Then read the questions and comments people have left on the website. Lots of unanswered questions and a lot of vague information.
mustangcats
Silver Donating Member

Postby DWT77 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:30 pm

I saw this unit pop back up in my facebook feed a while back. I went back to kickstarter to check it out. It is still not in production. Plus I'm skeptic about their claims (below) on the amount of space it can cool. I do find the concept interesting though, but body heat, exterior heat, and heat capacity of the interior wood ect... is probably too much for a unit of this size to handle.

"Zero Breeze is capable of cooling a 50 square feet room down to 44 ℉ making it perfect for your home, office, tent, RV, college dorm, and so much more."
DWT77
The 300 Club

Return to General Discussion