Using campground shower/bath house...tips

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Using campground shower/bath house...tips

Postby drhill » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:22 am

some great tips here and I like the idea of using a plastic bucket so nothing can get wet. I prefer to use shower facilities where they are available and the DIY is a bit off the thread topic, but when it comes to that I use a 8 liter garden sprayer. I call it my Moab shower and anybody who has gone biking and camping in Moab can appreciate that. There are no showers at the campgrounds and bring your own water. I found the garden sprayer is also great for rinsing dishes after washing.
drhill
Teardrop Master

Postby Dave Gray » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:13 pm

I am going to try the Sham Wow idea this weekend at home, whish I would have thought of it. I personally carry my clothes in plastic shopping bags so I can hang them on the hooks and the toiletries that go into the shower with me go in a two gollon plastic bucket.
Dave Gray
Teardrop Advisor

Postby MadMango » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:52 pm

Maybe because I do most of my camping in FL, but I bring body wash (works for hair too), a scrubber, a towel, shower shoes/flip-flops, and a clean bathing suit... and that's about it. It's pretty common to see people walking around camps in bathing suits here. I usually wait till late a night (after 11pm for sure) to shower, then I get dressed back at camp. The less I bring, the less I have a chance of getting wet or lost.
MadMango
"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating." ~Quentin Stafford-Fraser

You can see my design planning, The Mobile Mango.
You can follow my TTT build here, The Mobile Mango
MadMango
Teardrop Master

Postby kudzu » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:45 am

Any number of times over the years I've had to use shower stalls lacking a dry place to put any of my items. (That just happened this week.) So I started using plastic bins with locking lids. For years now, one of these has carried all I need, including toiletries, blow dryer, flat iron, brushes, towels & clothes:
http://www.sterilite.com/SelectProduct. ... &section=1

It is just a letter size filing box. Multiple folks have commented that they needed to get one. Mine is a Sterlite but other manufacturers make similar boxes & if you aren't carrying as much kit as me, then one size down would serve you well.
kudzu
Donating Member

Postby warnmar10 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:40 pm

kudzu wrote:... all I need, ..., blow dryer, flat iron, ...

"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." - Jonathan Swift
warnmar10
Teardrop Master

Postby TimC » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:07 pm

Anyone have an idea for a shower curtain? Even the best campground showers are missing a curtain to contain the over spray. I don't blame the parks for not including them. I'd like to put up a temporary curtain that I can just take down and hang on a clothesline at the campsite to dry out. I'm OK with a cheap dollar store curtain, I'm just trying to dream up a way to hang the curtain that adapts to various shower doorway sizes.
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:50 pm

TimC wrote:Anyone have an idea for a shower curtain? Even the best campground showers are missing a curtain to contain the over spray. I don't blame the parks for not including them. I'd like to put up a temporary curtain that I can just take down and hang on a clothesline at the campsite to dry out. I'm OK with a cheap dollar store curtain, I'm just trying to dream up a way to hang the curtain that adapts to various shower doorway sizes.

Just go to the hardware store and buy an adjustable tension curtain rod. They come in several sizes and, as the name implies, they are held up/in place by the tension that you set.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby kludge » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:40 am

1. Carry as little as possible. I don't worry about dressing in the public shower area on a wet floor. I undress in my personal space (tent, camper, cabin, etc.) throw on a pair of gym shorts (no undershorts), my flip-flops, and my towel over my shoulders. Ladies might want to add a t-shirt. Then I go back to my camp site and get dressed in my personal area.
2. I have a small hygiene kit (airline size) with all the essentials I will need in the facilities (travel sizes). Instead of throwing away tiny bars of soap, I keep them in a zip-lock bag for when I go camping. I take one out, shower with it and throw it away - no need to keep a nasty wet bar of soap in my hygiene kit.
3. Toilet seats get a quick wipe down and a layer of toilet paper before I sit. I also carry a small backpacking trowel and a small roll of toilet paper in my day pack. (Ladies might consider a go-girl. I'm convinced that women who "hover" make as big, if not a bigger mess than men who don't life the seat.)
4. I shower at night - it's way more comfortable sleeping clean than sweaty, stinky, dirty, smokey from the day's activities.
kludge
Teardrop Master

Postby NevadaBlue » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:20 pm

OLD thread, I know.

I really like the ‘tool tote’ idea. Will be using that. I use a waking stick and will be using that as a ‘hanger’ for the tool tote. A small carabiner, hooked into the handles of the bag, and onto the loop at the top of the walking stick and then lean the thing against the wall. No getting wet or dirty from the floor. (My stick is just over head high). Has many uses too.
—-
Ken
NevadaBlue
Teardrop Master

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:12 pm

For years now when I shower at a campground I carry 2 rafter hooks as there's never enough hooks to hold my shower back pack, towel and clothes.
The narrow hook will go over plywood enclosures, the bigger end fits over tiled partition walls.
I get them at Home Depot for less than $3 each, other seller have them too.
Their about 8' long & a great tool to have with your camping gear. :thumbsup: .
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-8- ... /202305459
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby swoody126 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:57 am

we used2 have one of these in our pop-up that kept the shower stuff organized and provided a place to stand

the girls would use it then it was my turn as they were drying their hair

the pic should tell you enough to make one out of recycled cedar fence staves

th.jpeg
th.jpeg (22.84 KiB) Viewed 1166 times

can't help thinking that the above pictured HF tool tote and one of these would be able to appease even the most finicky of campers
Last edited by swoody126 on Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby lfhoward » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:36 am

I’ve noticed that athletes foot is quite easy to get from campground showers, even if I have my sandals. My solution to that is to keep baby wipes in the trailer and to wipe down our feet before we put them in bed for the night. We use Burts bees chlorine free Unscented baby wipes for sensitive skin. The trailer is such a small space that a scented wipe can make it smell like chemicals, so these work well.
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to General Discussion