building the shell before the trailer

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

building the shell before the trailer

Postby clip » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:22 am

In order to avoid the "lava lamp" effect I want to get started on my build before I cool on the idea,but I'm not able to build the trailer yet. I have searched the archives for threads about building on a moveable platform like a very large toolbox base or even 3 wheels like a table saw base, this would make it easy to move around the shop or even outside does anyone recall any threads on this topic or have any comments pro or con on the idea.
M
clip
Teardrop Builder

Re: building the shell before the trailer

Postby Philip » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:56 am

A build is normally made to a frame you all ready have. That way you know the box will fit it.

Are you making the trailer frame yourself? If yes I would say go ahead. If using a store bought off the self trailer I would shy away from building till the trailer was in my hands.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby clip » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:22 am

I'm going to call in a few favors for the trailer build, but it will be custome to the shell. I was thinking that knowing the basic placment of things and aproxamate weight should help in positioning the wheels for balance.
clip
Teardrop Builder

Postby tony.latham » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:49 am

My first teardrop was built on the trailer chassis. The last two were built on dollies and loaded when they were nearly finished. I much prefer the later. No fenders to get in the way and the height is easier to work on. :thumbsup:

And loading the last one on the chassis. (Make sure to hitch to your tow vehicle first!)

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby clip » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:01 am

Thanks Tony,
Did that size caster work out ok for the weight, I was thinking I would need something bigger.
clip
Teardrop Builder

Postby tony.latham » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:45 am

clip wrote:Thanks Tony,
Did that size caster work out ok for the weight, I was thinking I would need something bigger.

Those casters were fine. I think I had non-swivel on the front and swivel with locks on the back. Not sure about that though.

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby yrock87 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:04 pm

My build has been sitting on a workbench-dolley since February when I started. It is 18 high on 6 legs with full swine locking casters from HF. The 18 in height was ideal for building the floor and walls. (way better than all the way down to the shop floor, good height for finish work) and the locking wheels are great for moving the whole project up against the workbench between working on it.

I will even put the tear back onto the Dolley after temporarily mounting to the trailer to get across town when I moved. Much prefer working without banging my shins on the tongue or axle spindles (or fenders)
The SJ Cruiser, my 5x10 Benroy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64944
yrock87
Teardrop Master

Postby Camp4Life » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:56 pm

I've been considering doing this as well. Since mine will be a 6x12 standee it'll be a little on the heavier side. So I've been thinking of borrowing the idea that truck bed campers use with the legs mounted to the frame. Lift, place trailer underneath, lower it down, bolt it on, remove lifter legs. Reverse order to take it off the trailer.
Camp4Life
Teardrop Master

Postby yrock87 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:33 pm

my cabin is just about finished (and by finished I mean waterproof and mostly campable[and by that I mean that my wife wants her inside parking spot back]) and I plan to install onto the trailer this weekend. the cabin weighs in around 350lbs ish... I can lift one side up, tilting the whole cabin onto the opposite edge by myself, but it is heavy for one person to do that. I plan to use two wooden closet rods to roll the cabin off the plantform and onto the trailer. I should be able to make the move with 3 people that way pretty easy and without scraping paint on the frame.

I will document and post after the big move.
The SJ Cruiser, my 5x10 Benroy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64944
yrock87
Teardrop Master

Postby yrock87 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:10 pm

yrock87 wrote:my cabin is just about finished (and by finished I mean waterproof and mostly campable[and by that I mean that my wife wants her inside parking spot back]) and I plan to install onto the trailer this weekend. the cabin weighs in around 350lbs ish... I can lift one side up, tilting the whole cabin onto the opposite edge by myself, but it is heavy for one person to do that. I plan to use two wooden closet rods to roll the cabin off the plantform and onto the trailer. I should be able to make the move with 3 people that way pretty easy and without scraping paint on the frame.

I will document and post after the big move.

So I didn't take any photos of the move, but the two closet rods worked well. my mom, my sister and I were able to position the cabin onto the frame easily, accurately, and with no drama. I was also able to take the time to weigh the tongue and slide the finished cabin forward slightly to give myself about 130 lbs of tongue weight. no guessing on the tongue weight if you build separate then attach.
yrock87
Teardrop Master

Return to General Discussion