Any portable stove recommendations?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Any portable stove recommendations?

Postby jakofin » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:28 pm

We have a Coleman propane stove. But I was wondering if an electric hot plate might be handy. We plan to always camp with electricity. The problem with the Coleman is the burners are so close together...I don't think my large skillet would even fit on there. Also, I want something I can use inside if it is raining. Not super comfortable with using a propane stove inside. Just trying to think of other options for the future.

Anyone use a hot plate that they really like? Or any other portable stove recommendations that you really like, beside a Coleman stove?
jakofin
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Any portable stove recommendations?

Postby Larry8 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:48 pm

I use an electric hotplate or butane portable burner as back ups for my Coleman 550 Multifuel Stove. I'm in progress building but don't plan on a permanent stove installed--just a shelf for one of the above. I hope this helps.

Larry
Larry8
Teardrop Inspector

Postby steve cowan » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:14 pm

We take a double hot plate and the Coleman white gas stove.The electric is convenient and great to simmer something a long time.The Coleman heats a pot of water a lot quicker.Figure if either one quits we have an alternative.
steve cowan
Donating Member

Postby KennethW » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:21 pm

jakofin wrote:We have a Coleman propane stove. But I was wondering if an electric hot plate might be handy. We plan to always camp with electricity.

I would hate to only camp in the parking lots with electricity. I love to be able to take that spot way off in the corner without any hookups or better a forest camp ground. Some of the older coleman fuel stoves are a bit bigger then the propane stoves.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:21 pm

Nancy uses an electric skillet when we have 120AC as well as the gas cook top.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Westy » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:39 am

Have you thought about a Cobb Stove?

I use one for just about every camping situation. It does a fantastic pizza, terrific roast anything and I use it every two weeks to smoke and prepare bacon. With a Chinese claypot casserole dish and one charcoal heat bead, I cook some fantastic slow cooked meals.

It works great for me using charcoal heat beads. See here http://www.cobbglobal.com/

Westy
Westy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby rebapuck » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:54 am

I have an induction hot plate at home. Use it occasionally to see if I want to replace my regular stove with an induction type. It cooks like a gas stove. Good response to setting adjustments. Does need cookware with ferrous metals...steel, cast iron, copper etc.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby Junkboy999 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:49 pm

I bought a (hardly be used) George Foreman grill at a garage sale , so I now carry my worn out GF grill in the camper.
When Camping, I hardly do a lot of Pan Frying or cooking (don't like to carry stuff that spoils fast), usually just reheating and grilling.

So 2 burner Coleman pro pain stone, GF grill, and a microwave if I know I will have power ( or take my Generator )
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby swoody126 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:47 am

Coleman offers a 3-burner stove in 3 models

the 426 uses regular Coleman fuel

the 428 is their Dual Fuel unit

both have a larger cooking surface/grate than the liquid fuel 2-burner units

their newer offering uses propane

one of these might offer the family chef a cooking surface that will support even the largest/favorite pan

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Return to General Discussion