External table/ shelf ideas

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

External table/ shelf ideas

Postby Big Woodie » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:49 pm

Good afternoon
I'm looking for ideas for an external side mounted table or shelf. Preferably something easy to clip on or slot in.
Most of you are much smarter than me, so I figured I'd ask the question.
All help appreciated :D

Big Woodie
Big Woodie
Teardrop Inspector

Re: External table/ shelf ideas

Postby lrrowe » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:03 am

Using "side mounted table" in the search box produced these hits. There a few posts actually about what I think you are looking for.

search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keywords=Side+mounted+table
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Big Woodie » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:03 pm

thanks for that Bob. Very much appreciated. Never thought of using the search function. :oops:

Big Woodie
Big Woodie
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Nobody » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:48 pm

When building our TD in 2006 I figured out pretty quickly that we'd probably need additional 'counter' space so I ordered a couple of 30" pieces of aluminum sliding table support (available online at various suppliers). I 'saved' a piece of 11-ply cabinet grade 3/4" birch plywood (approx 17"x22", from the TD build & cut the sliding table support in half (so I'd have enough for 2 small tables), & after cutting & varnishing the table top I fastened the 'male' table support to the end of the table, & the 2 mating 'female' pieces to the outside of each side of our TD galley. I devised a leg support from aluminum EMT, hinged one end to the underside of the table, flattened the other end, drilled a 3/8" hole in it at the appropriate spot, placed the table on the outside bracket, leveled the table, & drilled a 3/8" hole in the trim/overhang at bottom of my TD. I use a 3/8" bolt through the 'leg' of the table to hold it level & in place for use. I've placed a 7-gallon water jug (full) on the table while camping but it usually carries a lighter load. Have never built a second 'table for the other side since on our first 'gathering' in 2006 I found a folding, permanently mounted table that folds & stores just inside the galley hatch. I built & installed that & so far we haven't found an overpowering need for a second table...

Driver side female table bracket & leg support hole

Folding table in storage mode; we seldom use the side table but it's kept behind the lower galley doors in case of need.
Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby lrrowe » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:36 pm

Nobody wrote:When building our TD in 2006 I figured out pretty quickly that we'd probably need additional 'counter' space so I ordered a couple of 30" pieces of aluminum sliding table support (available online at various suppliers). I 'saved' a piece of 11-ply cabinet grade 3/4" birch plywood (approx 17"x22", from the TD build & cut the sliding table support in half (so I'd have enough for 2 small tables), & after cutting & varnishing the table top I fastened the 'male' table support to the end of the table, & the 2 mating 'female' pieces to the outside of each side of our TD galley. I devised a leg support from aluminum EMT, hinged one end to the underside of the table, flattened the other end, drilled a 3/8" hole in it at the appropriate spot, placed the table on the outside bracket, leveled the table, & drilled a 3/8" hole in the trim/overhang at bottom of my TD. I use a 3/8" bolt through the 'leg' of the table to hold it level & in place for use. I've placed a 7-gallon water jug (full) on the table while camping but it usually carries a lighter load. Have never built a second 'table for the other side since on our first 'gathering' in 2006 I found a folding, permanently mounted table that folds & stores just inside the galley hatch. I built & installed that & so far we haven't found an overpowering need for a second table...

Driver side female table bracket & leg support hole

Folding table in storage mode; we seldom use the side table but it's kept behind the lower galley doors in case of need.

Harvey, I mounted my rails in reverse of what you did and I have some buckling of the bracket. Is there a right or wrong way to mount them?

Big Woodie, see my build link below and I have used very similar brackets as Harvey, MtnDon and others have used.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Big Woodie » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:15 pm

thanks again for that. I found this link only this morning after testing the search function. This aluminium looks like the go, but no one in Australia has it. It looks as though I will have to buy some from over your side of the pond.

cheers
Big Woodie :thumbs up1:
Big Woodie
Teardrop Inspector

Postby lrrowe » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:17 pm

I got mine from Amazon. Does that work for your over there?
Here is what I ordered.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004O ... UTF8&psc=1

Bob
Bob

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Big Woodie » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:20 pm

Thanks Bob. Never used Amazon so I'll give that a try

cheers
Big Woodie
Big Woodie
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Nobody » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:29 am

I ordered the same stuff that Irrowe did. I've used the same item in a number of campers & always mounted it with the wider 'female' piece as the 'receiver', & used the 'male' piece on the edge of tables/shelves, probably because the 'male' piece is generally the same thickness as the table/shelving material I'm using?? I've placed some fairly heavy loads on the tables & they've always held up well. No buckling or collapse...
Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby clip » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:01 am

Oregontrailer has a YouTube video of how they build them, I'll have to figure out how to post links soon
clip
Teardrop Builder

Postby Big Woodie » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:12 pm

thanks for the feedback.
I'll go online and order some and get it sent to Australia.
cheers
Big Woodie :applause:
Big Woodie
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bam1028 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:07 am

Just ordered the bracket material and an adjustable leg through the amazon link thanks for posting lrrowe
bam1028
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bobhenry » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:45 am

be right back !

Had to root around in the attic :D

viewtopic.php?t=43504&highlight=side+tables+again
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Cosmo » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:47 am

I am wondering why one chooses a dedicated use table as opposed to a free standing table which can be used around camp many way? For instance I am using
2 of these
https://www.amazon.com/GCI-Outdoor-Comp ... =cgi+table

And 1 of these.
https://www.amazon.com/ALPS-Mountaineer ... th=1&psc=1

I can use them for dining, food prep, projects, cooler, end tables when we sit in camp for essentials such as books, binoculars, drinks, phones/tablet and hookah in some states.

Thanks for your feedback

-Cosmo

FUN WITH TEARDROP TRAILER VIDEOS
https://www.youtube.com/CosmoWeems/videos

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

Postby clip » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:04 am

In my case that is one more thing for the dog to knock over, but I have similar that I use now for truck camping
Having a shelf attached will extend my galley area near the power source providing a place for a crock pot or blender and for the cost of scrap wood and t-rail it's an inexpensive option this also seems to be a DIY crowd but Like most things teardrop it's all personal preference
clip
Teardrop Builder

Next

Return to General Discussion