Electric heater options?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Electric heater options?

Postby Kharn » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:37 pm

Tomterrific wrote:Electric blanket! One of the first camping trips in our trailer was cold. I bought an electric blanket (twin size) from Target. We put this on top of a sheet. The blanket is set on full before we go to bed so when we get in the camper it is toasty. The blanket is turned way down for sleeping, highest was 3 or 4 with mostly 2 or off. It is also nice just to lay on top with the blanket cooking on ten. :-)

T

I agree, we use an electric blanket without any other heat and have been just fine.
Kharn
500 Club

Postby vincigj » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:30 am

booyah wrote:
vincigj wrote:I to use small personal heater. Honeywell HCE100R Heat Bud Ceramic Heater, Red.
At 250watts too much. And if I turn it to low, 175watts, it worked fine in a 4x8 teardrop at 30f.

Actually really glad to hear this, I was eyeing this one, as a solution to my tear, with a small external thermostat.

I wanted something low enough wattage I can run it off my generator (hf 800w) without worry, but warm enough to make it worth it.
As it is the tear is very well insulated, R5 foam in all the walls, roof and floor, foam mattress, insulated doors, etc. We've camped out in high 30s to low 40s and maintained a decent internal temp (low 60s) with 2 people in side and one window and the roof vent just cracked, but I was worried about bringing it out any cooler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
vincigj
Teardrop Advisor

Postby vincigj » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:32 am

Update. After camping last weekend. Second time using the little heater, at 40/39 degrees it is too much but the answer was to open the vent more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
vincigj
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Bamaeagle » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:40 pm

We are looking at this one.............http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rheem-Perfor ... /204318371
ROLL TIDE ROLL !!!
Bamaeagle
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Kayaker1971 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:45 pm

Would love an elec blanket but so many Amazon reviews say theyve turned to unreliable Chinese crap like so many other products. Sometimes even burning up.
Kayaker1971
Teardrop Builder

Postby gudmund » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:13 am

just got one of the "as seen on TV" Handy Heaters yesterday and so far it looks like it maybe my new teardrop heater. The Lasko 200 watt has worked fine but this one has so many more features and if it works? it could be the new replacement! It has NO power cord - plugs directly into the wall. Has a built-in digital thermostat that can be set from 60 to 90 degrees. Has a 12 hour programmable timer that can be set in 1 hour increments for shutting off. 2 speed fan and is rated at 350 watts - should heat the trailer quicker than the 200 watt Lasko! Is nice and small, about 6.25 inches tall - 3.25 wide and 4 inches deep. The cold air draw is thru the bottom than blows the heat out the front. What I really like is the 'not having a power cord' to deal with, just plugging it into the wall and it being held in place by the wall plug - it weighs just a shade under 18 oz.(17.95 oz./508grams on my scale) It also has a ceramic heating element like the Lasko. It's cost is $30. at my local "as seen on TV" store - same $$$ as on TV where it is also being offered with a second one for free, but you have to pay shipping & handling on both. Will be checking and testing it out for the next few weeks and will try to post my views on it's performance later.
gudmund
The 300 Club

Postby Kayaker1971 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:44 pm

DANGEROUS? just searched out those "handy heater" and amazon has them, but a few reviews are BAD, multiple reviews saying the fan turns off and the element stays on and is a fire hazard! others say that is just an LED glowing so maybe NOT dangerous?

btw my camper has a smoke detector.

https://www.amazon.com/Handy-Heater-AS- ... seen+on+tv
Kayaker1971
Teardrop Builder

Postby gudmund » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:23 pm

it is the on/off switch lite - when on, it lites up the inside of the heater and can be seen thru the front heating grill - the heating element is NOT left on when the fan shuts off. There is NO fire hazard, in fact, I like the idea of it being lite in the dark, it will let me know I have left it on and need to turn it off when I am done using it. I used it for hours and hours today and it seems to be working just fine and am thinking about buying another. It operated just as it was said too. Turned off and on as the temps when up and down inside the trailer along with shutting off totally after setting the shut off timer for the time I set it for shut down. On the low fan setting it is very quiet and even on high it is not that loud. Whether it will work for everyone in a teardrop will depend on you plug-in location inside your trailer - mine is centrally located between my cabinet doors and works fine - I like it so far!! But like I said - there is NO element being left on when the fan shuts down and does NOT overheat!!
gudmund
The 300 Club

Postby gudmund » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:41 pm

also, to emphasize what one of the reviews made on-line about this Handy Heater is that it is a "CERAMIC" element and they do NOT glow red when they are heating/HOT. I have about 5 ceramic heaters and have NEVER seen a one with a red glowing hot element when heating - not even in the 2 with the 1500 watt elements when heating. This one (Handy Heater) is only a 350 watt element and my other 2 are the little Lasko 200 watt elements and they both run until they are manually shut off being they have NO thermostat at all and just heat until shut off. At 200/350 watts neither ever get that hot to the touch - not like the 2 1500 watt ones do and they don't even get that hot - not like the 'old wire resistance' glowing red ones do!!
gudmund
The 300 Club

Postby slowcowboy » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:29 am

not mine my northern tool 12 volt blanket has worked good for 5 summers. and my 12 volt road pro trucker 300 watt heater still working great! thumbs up! slowccowboy
Plans. there was supposed to be plans to be followed when I built this thing. Opps! AH, gee, tum,tee tum. I think I forgot about the plans 2 years ago. ------Tow vehicles, 1995 ford explore, 1994 ford ranger, 1993 ford F-150, 2009 4x9 Off road teardrop, on harbor freight greatly modified frame.
slowcowboy
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby VijayGupta » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:29 pm

Spent most of the last couple of days doing a "big cook" with a couple of crock pots running. I am wondering if simply plugging in a crock pot on high or low would do a decent job heating a small teardrop. Low (223 watts) and High (312 watts).
VijayGupta
Teardrop Master

Postby gudmund » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:04 am

it might work?? you may need something to help move the heated air more than just waiting for the hot air to raise. I do use a Davis Air-Dyer 500 in the off season in my teardrop keep dry the inside which is using the same concept as the crock pot would be doing. It is rated at 70 watts and keeps the trailer inside between 50 to 60+ degrees inside day and day out. I use a radio inside/outside thermostat w/humidity gauge so I can keep an eye on the moisture/temp from inside my house. The humidity seems to run between 45 to 65%. It is a heater that just heats using the convection heat rising method with no fan. Time to do some testing in this off-season time of the year - put the crook-pot in and see if it works!!
gudmund
The 300 Club

Postby gudmund » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:27 am

and after a nite of thinking about it, the crook pot may not work? being it has a cooking element, it may have a need inside the crook pot for a liquid for cooling in the cooking process. Without a liquid the cooking element may burn up from overheating being there would be nothing to heat/cook inside it - just a thought/re-think on this subject.
gudmund
The 300 Club

Postby VijayGupta » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:42 am

Solution: Crockpot breakfast?
VijayGupta
Teardrop Master

Postby bobwhite215 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:33 pm

Thinking about trying this http://www.acehardware.com/product/inde ... 81c0ee83b1

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk
bobwhite215
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion