I'm getting idea overload!!!

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

I'm getting idea overload!!!

Postby Fishman Keith » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:49 pm

So a year or so ago I started thinking of buying a cargo trailer and converting it to a camper. At the time I did not have the cash, and was looking to trade a hi-end rifle for one, bet never found the right deal, never got one. Fast forward 3 months ago, I did an enormous favor for one of my bosses that enabled his to close a huge deal. A week ago he asked if I would help him get a giant tool box out of a trailer he had. He complained the trailer was of no use to him anymore(it's like brand new)
I asked if he would allow me to buy it and pay it off, he said "NO", " you bailed me out when nobody else did, "Its yours!" !!! And he gave it to me for free!!! Pays to help people I guess, specially the big boss.
So I now have a 16' enclosed motorcycle trailer in fantastic shape, and I want to make it awesome! I'm seeing so many great ideas here, amongst the many questions I have a few are as follows,
what web sites sell surplus trailer parts?
What has anyone done about turning the back fold down door into an enclosed screened patio?

This will be a multi purpose camper, fishing trips, im in south Florida, I drive all over the state to fish different beaches, bridges, inlets and piers.
I also travel a lot for my job, so it would be great to always have my own place to stay right behind me! So it needs to be livable for a week or so at a time. But I want it to look like it was not some cheap conversion some putz did in his yard. Ok so I am a putz, but know how to work with wood, plumbing, and a bit of electrical.
Any websites for the purchase of cool stuff would be a great recommendation. Any tips and other info would be appreciated as well. I'm not starting this month, but soon, so I am planning accordingly, giving myself plenty of time to ask questions.

Thanks for reading,
Keith
Fishman Keith
Teardrop Inspector

Re: I'm getting idea overload!!!

Postby MadMango » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:30 am

This site is pretty overwhelming. You probably want to check out the Cargo Trailer Conversions page, you'll find your answer there.
MadMango
"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating." ~Quentin Stafford-Fraser

You can see my design planning, The Mobile Mango.
You can follow my TTT build here, The Mobile Mango
MadMango
Teardrop Master

Postby 3GKnight » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:42 am

Congrats on the score! Welcome and Good Luck.
3GKnight
Donating Member

Postby Camp4Life » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:57 pm

I feel your pain on the overload. Not only that, but also changing my mind a dozen times :?
Camp4Life
Teardrop Master

Postby friz » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:23 pm

I have been on here for 5 years building my "idea" library for my eventual "retirement home" build. It also took me that long to convince the Mrs that a teardrop was the right trailer for us. I should have my kit from CLC in a couple weeks. Hope to have it ready to camp by next spring.

Sent from my Altair 8800 using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby dmdc411 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:57 pm

Great score on the trailer. The rear drop down door is an awesome idea. You could build a removeable wall with a door in it. Or just screen the entire back. Making it a patio. For parts, E Bay is where I purchased 60%, or more, of my parts. Also certain RV dealers carry new old stock, and can have pretty good deals. I never, almost never, pay more 50% of new on E Bay on the surplus pages.
dmdc411
Teardrop Master

Postby Fishman Keith » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:11 pm

Thank you so much for all the input. :beer:
Fishman Keith
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Fishman Keith » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:13 pm

3GKnight wrote:Congrats on the score! Welcome and Good Luck.

dude thats a sick little camper you did, great job. looks amazing.
Fishman Keith
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Lesbest » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:41 pm

Try RV Parts Nation.....they are in Elkart, IN., all the rv parts surplus seem to be in the same neighborhood, and they have EVERYTHING. Appliances, windows, conversion furniture, you name it. Good luck on your build. Don't forget the marine industry......they build campers too, but they float.

Les
Music is like chocolate.......you can't really enjoy it unless the rappers are gone.
Lesbest
The 300 Club

Return to General Discussion