TruckFridge Question

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

TruckFridge Question

Postby River Hill » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:33 pm

I am doing research about converting a cargo trailer. I am now starting some research on refrigerators and a bit confused about power. I know if I am not able to plug-in at a campground or use a generator 12V would be needed. I guess I am confused on the type of fridge to get. I would guess if I was plugged in at a campground the trailer could convert the power to my fridge to run 12V?

If you were getting the TruckFridge TF65 would you get the TF65 DC or the TF 65 AC/DC. I copied the below from their site and added to my confusion. Also I did not read in the manual where it says they needs to vent to the outside, but just needs some air flow. It looked to be a very small amount.

Although MOST trucks do not need the additional option of 110vAc electric, we do offer the option for those whom find it necessary.

TruckFridge AC/DC models automatically switch from 12vDC battery power to 110vAC household electric from shorepower, household electric, generator, etc. when available and plugged in, then back to 12vDC when 110vAC is no longer available. This is used mainly for long term use when idling is not an option.

(Note: Although the 110vAC will run on a correctly sized inverter, this is not the best method. It is best to let the fridge run on 12vDC, as the inverter duplicates the fridge electronics by changing 12vDC to 110vAC and the fridge then changes 110vAC back to 12vDC.)
River Hill
Teardrop Inspector

Re: TruckFridge Question

Postby Philip » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:37 pm

Get the AC/DC model.

You leave the A/C line pluged in to your circuit. When it sees A/C power. It will switch over and use it.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby rowerwet » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:17 pm

we have the AC/DC unit, it makes camping so much easier. We use our Truckfridge as the freezer, and rotate bottles of water into the cooler to keep it cold. Never having to by ice is really nice :thumbsup:
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby River Hill » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:34 pm

Any need to vent this outside or can I just provide some space for airflow?
River Hill
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bonnie » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:39 pm

Mine requires no vent, but does say to give it 2" of breathing room all around.
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby mustangcats » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:51 pm

I installed a Truckfridge TF49 in my trailer this past summer and bought only the dc version. For my particular situation I could see absolutely no advantage of having the ac/dc model. If shore power was available, my Truckfridge would run off 12 volts dc from the convertor and if shore power was not available, then it would run off 12 volts dc from the battery. Either way it will be powered by 12 volt dc.

Regarding ventilation, I did not vent mine out the side of the trailer. It vents along the rear sides and also the top front. I provided much more ventilation than the instructions required. One problem I did have this past summer is I had very hot weather while on vacation and the temperature inside the trailer would exceed 90 degrees. As a result the refrigerator would run almost non stop and put a real drain on the battery. Truckfridge claims very low power consumption, but that is probably measured with the refrigerator in a controlled ambient air temperature of 70 degrees...not the 90+ degrees a person would encounter in the real world. I had no way to keep the trailer cool without air conditioning and when the outside temperature was in the upper 90's. The only way to probably improve performance would be to insulate the refrigerator better. Other than that, I really like the refrigerator and was finally able to keep food at a safe temperature. I plan to add solar to my trailer to help charge the battery during the day.
mustangcats
Silver Donating Member

Return to General Discussion