recommendations for a comfortable camp chair...

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: recommendations for a comfortable camp chair...

Postby jakofin » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:26 pm

brx017, thanks for the suggestion of looking at Ollie's and Big Lots...I hadn't thought of that yet. Unfortunately, Ollie's didn't have any today, but I know they get stuff in all the time, so I'll keep checking there and Big Lots.

Thanks to all the suggestions!
jakofin
Teardrop Inspector

Postby MadMango » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:10 am

On eBay I ordered two gravity chairs (generic no-name, probably knock-offs) for $57, thought that was a good deal. I've had them over a year now, and they are holding up great. I think gravity chair comfort is well worth the bulk! Look around, as there are some that come with little tables that fold or slide out, cup-holders included. Mine did not have anything like that, and that can be inconvenient.

For any chair, it has to have a mesh seat for me. They won't retain water after a shower, and they dry super fast of morning dew.
MadMango
"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating." ~Quentin Stafford-Fraser

You can see my design planning, The Mobile Mango.
You can follow my TTT build here, The Mobile Mango
MadMango
Teardrop Master

Postby jakofin » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:57 am

Thanks, again, for all the replies and suggestions.

We decided to get these chairs: http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/produ ... aQodeIUETg. I'm getting regular size for me and XL for my husband. They ARE bag chairs, but they don't sag like common ones and the bars don't squeeze and hurt my legs. AND they are inexpensive! We are taking them camping this weekend, so I'll have to come back here and update how we like them after that.
jakofin
Teardrop Inspector

Postby JuneBug » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:23 am

jakofin wrote:Thanks, again, for all the replies and suggestions.

We decided to get these chairs: http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/produ ... aQodeIUETg. I'm getting regular size for me and XL for my husband. They ARE bag chairs, but they don't sag like common ones and the bars don't squeeze and hurt my legs. AND they are inexpensive! We are taking them camping this weekend, so I'll have to come back here and update how we like them after that.

I was at Dicks Sporting Goods and did a test sit in a Kijaro chair after seeing one at an event. They actually are more comfortable than the regular bag chair and come in super fun colors.
"The large print giveth; the small print taketh away" Tom Waits
JuneBug
Donating Member

Postby clip » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:59 am

Thewirecutter.com just did a side by side on different camp type chairs might be worth a look if your still undecided
clip
Teardrop Builder

Postby Esteban » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:50 pm

JuneBug wrote:
jakofin wrote:Thanks, again, for all the replies and suggestions.

I was at Dicks Sporting Goods and did a test sit in a Kijaro chair after seeing one at an event. They actually are more comfortable than the regular bag chair and come in super fun colors.

I went to Dick's Sporting Goods to try out the Kijaro Dual Lock Folding Chair and the Kijaro XXL Dual Lock Oversized Chair.

:thumbsup: The XXL Kujaro chair was very comfortable.

:( The store had only red XXL chairs in stock which I didn't care for.

:) While in the store I ordered a Maldives Blue XXL Kijaro which should be delivered to me by Friday.

:thinking: The regular sized Kijaro chair in stock at Dick's comes in a much bigger (8 colors) choice of attractive colors than the XXL (4 colors) chair did.

:thumbsup: Amazon.com sells many more (9) colors of the XXL Kijaro chair than Dick's Sporting Goods does.

:thumbsup: The Izamal Yellow XXL Kajaro chair really catches my eye.

:thinking: What to do? I'm trying to decide whether to keep the blue one, or return it for a refund, and buy a yellow one from Amazon. Or maybe have it in two colors?
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby jakofin » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:15 am

We used our Kiljaro chairs last weekend. They are pretty comfortable. I think I would be most comfortable with my feet up, but these chairs are good. I'm glad we bought them. They do have fun colors! My husband got the bright green in XXL and I got turquoise in reg. I still might get a zero gravity chair sometime, tho...maybe next year...then we can share it, or fight over it! :)
jakofin
Teardrop Inspector

Postby NevadaBlue » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:41 pm

I hope you guys don’t get mad at me for reviving these old threads, but I love my ‘zero gravity’ recliners. They are from a Salt Lake City surplus store, about 50 bucks, IIRC, and have lasted for several years now. Love ‘em.
—-
Ken
NevadaBlue
Teardrop Master

Postby Modstock » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:36 pm

We have the bag chairs. After a 7 day vacation the back of my legs were bruised from the diagonal supports.
Finding this out by accident, we had some stadium pads when we went to NHRA in Vegas.
I decided to put those in our bag chairs to lift us up a bit. Worked great and helps the legs off the supports. Even a folded blanket works.
But during a long trip it helps to take turns from the chairs and sit at the picnic table.
Rotation is key.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:02 pm

Once in awhile Aussie allows me to sit in this one.

Actually, it's the one on the left you can't quite see. I just had to throw this eclipse photo in.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RLQNSO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought it in 2015. It's holding up fine and is more comfortable than most of these folding camp chairs. It's a bit bigger.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby rjgimp » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:33 am

Modstock wrote:We have the bag chairs. After a 7 day vacation the back of my legs were bruised from the diagonal supports.
Finding this out by accident, we had some stadium pads when we went to NHRA in Vegas.
I decided to put those in our bag chairs to lift us up a bit. Worked great and helps the legs off the supports. Even a folded blanket works.

I often use a boat cushion.

Modstock wrote:But during a long trip it helps to take turns from the chairs and sit at the picnic table.
Rotation is key.

Yep, changing position relatively often is always a good idea.
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby dmb90260 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:23 pm

I am 6'4" and after my knees started to go most camp chairs did not work for me, esp those damn soft chairs. With no hard arms I could not get out of them.
I found a fine chair at Bass Pro Shop https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/browning-buckshot-directors-chair.
This is a tall director's chair I could get in and out of easily. Once I had my knee replaced I did not need it but I still love it and rarely sit 'in the short chairs anymore.
When I got mine it cost almost $100 but it was money well spent. Google it and you can find them for much less not.

I do have a gravity chair which is very nice but it is big, heavy and awkward to deal with. Once up it is fine but takes up a lot of space.
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby DWT77 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:18 am

I use the ARB Touring chair. It has hard arms and a decent price. I got tired of the cheap chair arm always falling apart.

https://arbusa.com/tents-awnings-campin ... ng-chairs/

https://www.amazon.com/ARB-10500101A-Ca ... 708&sr=8-2
DWT77
The 300 Club

Postby kmack67.km » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:17 pm

Strongback camp chairs are great. Not inexpensive but worth it if you ever have back pain. I have the Elite and my only complaint is that it's a little large when folded. The Guru folds up a bit smaller.

Kevin

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
kmack67.km
Teardrop Advisor

Previous

Return to General Discussion