fantastic fan install

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

fantastic fan install

Postby hmikey » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:18 am

Hi: I'm about to install a fantastic fan in my small camper. Does any one have an opinion as to using the supplied gasket or Butyl tape? Cutting a hole in my camper is scary enough, I really don't need a leak. Thanks. Any other sealer advise is welcome also.
hmikey
Teardrop Builder

Re: fantastic fan install

Postby yrock87 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:09 pm

I will be using silkaflex to install mine. If I didn't have that on hand I would not think twice about using butyl tape and then sealing around the edge with clear silicone. I have no knowledge of the gasket as my fantastic was used.
The SJ Cruiser, my 5x10 Benroy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64944
yrock87
Teardrop Master

Postby les45 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:01 am

I used butyl tape and clear silicone caulk all around the edges. One thing I would point out is that you need to check your framing to make sure it will take the screws in the flange. I used my 1X2 spars with the 3/4 side up to frame the front and rear of the opening. If you construct the opening at 14 1/4" square as recommended, the screws will not hit the spars on both sides. I had to add scabs to take the screws. Also, the 14 1/4" is a little tight on the side where the wire comes out. I added a little width to give myself enough room to work the wires. You can see what I'm talking about on Page 3 of my journal at: http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=49333
les45
500 Club

Postby Andrew Herrick » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:15 am

... not to hijack the thread, but I'm of the camp of believers that advises NOT to use silicone for a window/door/fan install!

Here's why: Just try taking that stuff off in five years. Just try. Use mineral spirits, WD-40, soap and water, whatever. Even when you think you've got it all gone, residue will still be there. No solvent dissolves silicone, and the residue will prevent the next sealant (silicone or otherwise) from properly adhering to the substrate. You have to tackle the thing with a metal abrasive pad. Basically, silicone is only recommended for permanent waterproofing, not for seasonal applications. At least that's the reigning theory.

Dicor, Geocell and other RV parts suppliers manufacture specific non-leveling sealants designed for this exact application. I use Geocell Pro Flex. Might not be the best, but so far it's great! Goes on easy, sets up in minutes, easy to clean up with mineral spirits, and lasts a lot longer than silicone.

If you line the flange of the fan with putty/butyl tape and then seal with Pro Flex or other sealant, you'll be fine. I'd wait 10-15 minutes after you first install the fan (with putty tape and screws) to apply the sealant. Gives time for the air bubbles to escape.

Last but not least ... some people use roofing repair tape, like EternaBond AlumiBond. Personally, that seems like overkill, but if you're really worried and want to be able to drive through a hurricane and stay dry - that stuff works! :)

Good luck!
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Postby les45 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:26 am

Andrew Herrick wrote:... not to hijack the thread, but I'm of the camp of believers that advises NOT to use silicone for a window/door/fan install!

Here's why: Just try taking that stuff off in five years. Just try. Use mineral spirits, WD-40, soap and water, whatever. Even when you think you've got it all gone, residue will still be there. No solvent dissolves silicone, and the residue will prevent the next sealant (silicone or otherwise) from properly adhering to the substrate. You have to tackle the thing with a metal abrasive pad. Basically, silicone is only recommended for permanent waterproofing, not for seasonal applications. At least that's the reigning theory.

Good point and I totally agree. I recently learned that lesson the hard way when I had to remove an old AC unit from the roof of my current pop-up project. Getting all the silicone off was a real pain in the @$$. I had to scrape and sand to get it all off. I will be installing another Fantastic Fan on my current project but I will not use silicone like I did on my weekender.
les45
500 Club

Postby booyah » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:46 am

So for my fan install, I did a double width box around it with 1x2s, so 2x2 effectively. Caught the screws no issues, and I did silicone it. I also used silicone to seal the doors. I put a line of it under the fan edge itself, and one around the seam that I used a "precision edging tool" (finger) to smear the line in and cover the edge.

I used 100% silicone though, not the cheap stuff, and I've used it before on showers, tubs and sinks with good effect. It can be difficult to remove (razor blade tends to work best) but I don't intend to remove my fan or doors anytime soon.

So far two years of 100% outside use and no leaks, no trouble, and no degradation of the seals so far. Its not 10-20 years (yet) but mine is not garaged, or in a car port, it sits in the drive way year round. Only coverage it gets is a tarp in the winter to keep the snow from building up and increasing the chance of water coming in through the fan cover.
My build, 5x8 modified benroy "Smiles to go". Started April 2nd 2015, first trip August 2nd 2015.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63145
booyah
The 300 Club

Return to General Discussion