Storage Space & Teardrops/Mini Trailers

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Storage Space & Teardrops/Mini Trailers

Postby Cathy P. » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:10 am

I have been looking at websites for teardrops and the mini-trailers for a few months now. I am just baffled as far as size and storage space, so I just have to ask, "How can the external size not matter as far as storage?" Something like the Vestibule or Camp Inn seem to have so many more storage cubbies than less expensive units yet the same amount of bed space and the same exterior dimensions. In larger TTs, I can understand that higher end units have more storage areas, but in such a small amount of space with the beds the same size, I just cannot figure it out. Maybe it has to do with shape? So many have such thin walls that attaching additional storage nets/shelves would be difficult to impossible. I'm frustrated that "small" isn't "big" at the same time. :lol:

I have come to favor the ones that have the tent extensions that attach really well to keep bugs/critters out and allow for stuff.
Cathy P.
Teardrop Master

Re: Storage Space & Teardrops/Mini Trailers

Postby daveesl77 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:33 am

Well, with Conch Fritter, which is sized as 10'L x 5.5'W x 5.5'H, we built it to have plenty of storage, while at the same time providing a lot of comfort. To do this, we had to go unconventional in a primary area- the galley. In the vast majority of trailers the galley area is a permanent fixture, in the back, accessed by way of a hatch. This has a lot of advantages, such as a preset cover over the galley. The disadvantage is the galley takes up interior room. With ours, due to the height, our queen bed sits on a raised platform. The galley rides under the bed, slides out the rear, does kind of a "transformer" thing, as it rotates into an "L" shape, then the two cabinet section ends flip over to create the sink and a stove table. To the left and right sides of the bed are compartments that can be accessed from the top, 3 compartments on each side. Where the curved front is, we built in a cabinet and shelving area. It also holds a small dorm type fridge and the electrical control panels and components. This then gave us an area of about 2' x 5' open floor space for our feet and mainly our old beagle Max.

The negative to our design is the need to put up a shelter/canopy/cover over the galley. It takes about 5 minutes to fully set up or reset the entire galley system, this includes water lines, water heater and propane. With a normal design this can take seconds, as you only need to close the hatch. However, with our slide-out galley, we have almost 11 linear feet of "counter-top" and 13 cubic feet of additional cabinet storage. In addition, we did not have to build a hatch, but instead have a recessed door access, so there are no top opening areas that can allow in water. We've had our system set up in some pretty strong thunderstorms with no problems.

There are pros and cons to ever build and no build is perfect. Don't look for perfection, look for what best suits your needs.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:57 pm

Ours is a 6X10 grasshopper design so a good bit more rectilinear and lots of storage, The head of the bed (Queen) is in the rear.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Cathy P. » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:28 pm

Thanks! I do admire those that can build their own. It just seems anymore that "do it yourself" is the only way to get something that is right.

Both nice units!
Cathy P.
Teardrop Master

Postby Kharn » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:55 pm

Going longer than 8' considerably expands your storage options.
Mine is 9.5', there are huge compartments over our feet, at the head of the bed and in the tongue box for gear, while still having a bunk for our toddler over our thighs. The long length also gives a full-height galley, which provides a lot of space, while 8' tears typically have your feet under some of the galley. There's also the under-bed storage where we throw a tool kit, leveling blocks, and other items that we rarely use but can't live without.
Facebook overview 20140321.png
Facebook overview 20140321.png (48.7 KiB) Viewed 333 times

It also depends how much time, effort, and money you want to spend building the cabinetry, many people skip them to get camping faster.
Kharn
500 Club

Return to General Discussion