clostrophobic

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

clostrophobic

Postby Tempest » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:56 am

So like the TD design but thinking of a larger "standup" TD because there could be times in the winter when we could be inside for hours due to cold. Plus not really liking the idea of a WET pooch being so "intimate". Anyone have experience using a normal TD in winter? Can you stay in the camper for long periods just relaxing?
Tempest
Teardrop Builder

Re: clostrophobic

Postby Camp4Life » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:29 am

What do you consider "Winter"? Me being in northern Canada might have a different view of camping in winter, and I would probably pass on it :lol:

I'm also designing a standup trailer, and on this forum, they call them a "standee". There's plenty on here who have built them. Myself, it's for unpredictable weather, which happens often here. And the bugs! :x

I would imagine though that a well insulated TD would be easier to keep warm because it's smaller. But I'll let others chime in on their experiences.
Camp4Life
Teardrop Master

Postby Tempest » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:08 pm

Thank Goodness we don't have many BUGS!. But we do have 3-5 feet of snow in our mts. at least 4ish mths of the yr. I plan on cutting our firewood in the winter. I'm up there cpl times a week anyway playing and running around in my four track machine. Figured I'd make over night trips, cut fire wood and take in the great Lord's handy work! We use to have mt property with a real small cabin. We insulated it with 1" foam and heated it easily with a small electric heater.
Tempest
Teardrop Builder

Postby PKCSPT » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:25 pm

I really enjoy it here in Minnesota. A good book or movie or two with the portable dvd player. Tasty snack and for me a Pepsi and I am good to go.
Too be fair I winter camp in State Parks and get electricity for heat.
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby CaptKidd » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:02 pm

I found the tear a little too small so I sold it and bought an R-Pod the 179 model.
CaptKidd
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Nobody » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:08 pm

We have found the teardrop to be a 'fair weather' camper, & at our age we need more amenities than it provides for our comfort. I have spent several nights in the TD in southern Illinois in 'teen' temperatures, & slept comfortably with a good sleeping bag. For years I owned a 12volt 'plug in' type heater/defroster from Harbor Freight, that would warm up the cabin of my TD & not use a great amount of energy. I'd turn it on 10-15 min before I went to bed & it'd warm the cabin enough that I could undress & get into bed without shivering. I'd turn it on again 10-15 min before I got up in the morning & be able to dress comfortably & not get in a great hurry. Never tried it with my wife (who is very cold sensitive) as she doesn't 'do' cold weather camping especially in the TD.

A year and a half ago we bought a 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe. It doesn't have a furnace but if we go out in cooler months we always stay in campgrounds with electrical hook-ups. We have a small Broan brand 'cube ceramic' heater that provides more than enough heat for comfort in the Casita. It (the Casita) also has a bathroom which makes the early morning 'runs' to the facility unnecessary.

The TD has been relegated once again to a 'fair weather' camper for us. I use it for fall/winter hunting trips & have been perfectly comfortable sleeping in it with the little 12vdc heater/defroster for evening/morning, 'til the switch 'went bad' on it. I'll hafta see if I can find another one with similar features. I built the TD well insulated all around so it's easy to heat & quite comfortable 'til I hafta get up in the mornings & raise the galley hatch to make morning coffee & heat face washing/tooth brushing water...
Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby daveesl77 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:24 pm

We made our trailer specifically with several things to consider. 1) - our 16 year old beagle likes to stretch out, so there had to be a fair amount of floor space for both him and our feet. 2) This meant that the bed would not be on the floor but instead on a platform. 3) We wanted the platform high enough so we could fit our galley underneath it and allow it to slide out the back. This then gave our dog a gigantic amount of floor space, as when the galley is pulled out, he has a big cave under the bed. 4) Because we have been in innumerable situations camping where you are pretty much forced inside we wanted to be able to use the foot area of the bed as a kind of settee. 5) We wanted to have a queen sized mattress, plus some side storage area. We compromised on the queen width, cutting our foam mattress down from the normal 60" width to 55", this then allowed us to put in storage compartments on each side of the platform that are accessed from the top, next to the bed.

So, with those things in mind, the trailer would be taller inside to accommodate both a reasonable amount of room over the bed and enough headroom to sit up, so the inside is like 5' 4" tall floor to ceiling. It had to be longer than a normal teardrop, to allow for a foot area, so the longest overall length is 10'. We built in a cabinet system in the front, which only took up 6" of the designed floor space, but allowed 18" at maximum depth. This gave us 4 opening cabinets, a place for a 3.3 cu ft dorm fridge, shelving for the laptop/entertainment system and a two chambered, 6" deep, 24" wide ducting system that pulls cool air in and exhausts hot air out from underneath the trailer.

Conch Fritter isn't a teardrop, but it isn't huge either. It weighs 1,340# loaded and tows like a dream, built on a 4x8 HF trailer frame.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:28 pm

The Grasshopper design give more interior room
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Tempest » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:12 pm

Great replies! Thank you. Confirmed the decision to build a standee. Grasshopper is cool but a bit too long. Plan on moving the camper from flatbed pu to regular trailer to snow skis depending on season and need!
Tempest
Teardrop Builder

Return to General Discussion