TigerMoth "Squaredrop" sorta

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

TigerMoth "Squaredrop" sorta

Postby JuneBug » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:22 pm

Dropped by one of my favorite places yesterday: PrincessCraft RV north of Austin, TX
They sell many traditional trailers, but also lots of Tabs, Tags, Little Guys, folding A Liners, SylvanSport and also the eccentric Cricket trailer by Taxa. Now the Cricket has a little brother called the TigerMoth, which has an angular profile and an industrial aesthetic. MSRP is just under $13,000, but likely will be priced lower at PrincessCraft. It has very big tires and high clearance, so made for rugged use. I have to go back there on Monday; I'll check the list price.

http://taxaoutdoors.com/tigermoth/

This link has better photos:

http://smalltrailerenthusiast.com/2015/ ... iger-moth/

aaaaand YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjGq3LqRKv4

I like the pull out kitchen concept, but it look too low to be practical.
"The large print giveth; the small print taketh away" Tom Waits
JuneBug
Donating Member

Re: TigerMoth "Squaredrop" sorta

Postby Cathy P. » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:48 am

Oh, you are so lucky to live close by! I admire them from afar on the internet. I had liked the Taxa Cricket yet felt it was too large and then along came the Taxa Moth. I really do like that one as it looks durable yet the slide out kitchen is a little different, but it looks like you might be able to at least get some things out without sliding it out by lifting the sofa cushion.

They are actually getting ready to market the Taxa Wooly Bear which is one of those box type trailers on wheels for "stuff" and a tent that erects on top.

I did see a dealer in Livingston, TX that has A/C on the units they are selling. List price was $13,999 though, of course, they were 2016 and I am a bargain hunter. Would look good with my tow vehicle too. I am in crunch time for deciding on a unit.
Cathy P.
Teardrop Master

Postby JuneBug » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:21 am

The TigerMoth at PrincessCraft has a window AC unit sticking out of the driver's side wall. It was not a good look; just stuck on. Also, I don't know how well they are insulated.

You might want to check the PrincessCraft website and get a quote on price. They are usually under MSRP.

It does have a lot of practical features though.
"The large print giveth; the small print taketh away" Tom Waits
JuneBug
Donating Member

Postby Cathy P. » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:27 pm

I think they have about an R7 with insulation, not the best but better than nothing. It is some kind of aluminum sandwich in the body. Yes, the A/C hangs out the window just like with the one on the Cricket. Not real sure how well that would hold up over time.
Cathy P.
Teardrop Master

Postby hospadar » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:25 pm

If they use the same aluminum composite panels as the cricket, I think it's something like 1" EPS bonded to (I thought surprisingly thick maybe 1/16") aluminum. On the cricket at least, you can peep into the panels where they're cut away around the door latch mechanism. I was carefully investigating them because I'm making sort of a bastardized hybrid of a cricket & tigermoth right now in the garage :)
hospadar
Teardrop Inspector

Postby greygoos » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:30 am

hospadar wrote:If they use the same aluminum composite panels as the cricket, I think it's something like 1" EPS bonded to (I thought surprisingly thick maybe 1/16") aluminum. On the cricket at least, you can peep into the panels where they're cut away around the door latch mechanism. I was carefully investigating them because I'm making sort of a bastardized hybrid of a cricket & tigermoth right now in the garage :)

Hi I have seen your trailer build somewhere on the net. How about posting a link so we can follow along?
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby hospadar » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:53 pm

Sha-zam: http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=67444

Cool! where did you see it?
hospadar
Teardrop Inspector

Return to General Discussion