Strutts and stays

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Strutts and stays

Postby Pavarotti » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:01 pm

Hi Guys and Gals

I am a newbie from over the pond in Britain or the principality of Wales to be more precise. The wife an I recently bought a teardrop and despite the lousy British weather we have taken it out a couple of times and really enjoyed it.

Compared with some of the rigs you guys have our one I pretty basic but I have started adapting it to suit us. I have extended the electrics and intend working on it further over the winter.

My main question is about the rear galley/kitchen hatch. It is lifted to the open position and kept open by 2 stout wooden struts .

I'd like some advice on how to go about fitting some gas struts. Can someone direct me to a write up on things such as working out the size and power of the struts. Where to position them and what kind of fixings should I use?

Thanks.

p.s I will also try to work out how to send some pictures
Pavarotti
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Strutts and stays

Postby dales133 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:29 pm

There is a gas strut calculator on here somewhere if you try the search function.
I found a guy localy here in Australia that sells realy good quality ones and he can add or remove gass to make them operate perfectly.
Mine worked out i needed 580mm struts for a hatch measuring 1195 from hinge center to outermost bottom of hatch.
I hope thats some help
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Re: Strutts and stays

Postby aggie79 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:48 pm

dales133 wrote:There is a gas strut calculator on here somewhere if you try the search function.

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=58263&start=15

Something to keep in mind is that even for a light hatch there can be a lot of force at the mounts for the gas struts. Please be sure to attach the mounts into substantial structure or framing.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Return to General Discussion