Hurricane Hinge question

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Hurricane Hinge question

Postby downsouthcamper » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:10 pm

I am trying to build a unique camper and want to use a hurricane hinge, but i am unsure on the stop angle for the hinge. If you open the hinge, does it stop at a 90* angle at any point, or would there be any way to get the hinge to stop at a 90* angle? the design of it stopping at a full 90* is fairly critical for what i have planned in order for it to look just right. Thanks in advance.
downsouthcamper
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Hurricane Hinge question

Postby downsouthcamper » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:53 pm

now that i think about it, 180* angle will work as well. to those that know, how "solid" is the hinge below when it is at its 180* position? what would happen if this hinge was flexed slightly passed 180*'s? would it sit firmly at this angle or flop if there was modest tension on the sides? sorry for all the questions.

downsouthcamper
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:09 pm

They won't open to 180ยบ. Mines out in a rainstorm right now and the only way I could figure out where it stops is to take off the gas struts.

Going to the point where the hinge stops would put stress on the fasteners. But you could make it stop anywhere during its arc with gas springs.

I don't think every hurricane hinge is the same. You might give one of the retailers a call and ask them.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby bosleybeebop » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:31 am

tony.latham wrote:

Tony

Been thinking about the same question. In that diagram, what if you switch places with the hatch and the bolted block such that the hatch would rest at a 90deg/vertically? How much beyond 90deg of articulation could you expect?
bosleybeebop
Teardrop Inspector

Postby downsouthcamper » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:28 am

thanks for the response. i guess its going to take some finageling.
downsouthcamper
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bosleybeebop » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:08 pm

Came across these geared roton hinges, they are intended as full length hinges for fire escape doors

bosleybeebop
Teardrop Inspector

Return to General Discussion