Condensation

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Condensation

Postby Dusty Mark » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:15 pm

Try using your vent fan at a very low speed to draw more air through your cracked windows during the night. Active precipitation is a challenge at those temps though...
Dusty Mark
Teardrop Master

Postby ELM » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:47 pm

Dusty Mark wrote:Try using your vent fan at a very low speed to draw more air through your cracked windows during the night. Active precipitation is a challenge at those temps though...

I just have a standard vent with out a fan right now. I haven't decided on witch vent fan I will be getting yet and I didn't want to spend the almost $300 on one until I talked to some teardrop owners and looked at the Fantastic fan or the Maxxair vent. I like the idea of the Maxxair vent that it can be opened and not let in rain. :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:
My Build journal. viewtopic.php?f=50&t=65395
ELM
Teardrop Master

Postby Dusty Mark » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:55 pm

We really like our Max Air. It can be operated in any conditions. We've camped at temps in the upper 30's for six nights and running the fan at 20% kept condensation under control. We supported one window with a clothespin laid on its side and we also have a 3" diameter passive vent in the dog kennel wall.
Dusty Mark
Teardrop Master

Postby ELM » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:07 pm

Dusty Mark wrote:We really like our Max Air. It can be operated in any conditions. We've camped at temps in the upper 30's for six nights and running the fan at 20% kept condensation under control. We supported one window with a clothespin laid on its side and we also have a 3" diameter passive vent in the dog kennel wall.

Thanks for the info on the Maxxair vent. Is it possible for you to post a picture of the profile of your vent closed and open. Thanks
ELM
Teardrop Master

Postby Vedette » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:13 am

We have metal surfaces inside of Miss Piggy and she is made entirely out of metal (no wood), thus she is subject to drastic temperature changes.
And we have slept in conditions over 100 degrees to below freezing over the past 4 years of use.
Condensation is a real concern and has happened if we forget to turn on the fans before we go to sleep. :thinking:
We have two computer fans (one on each side of the cabin) that keep the air moving; Drawing fresh air from the slightly cracked open windows. and venting to the outside of the cabin. Seems to work and has solved the build up of condensation on the walls and ceiling.
But, we still get moisture on the steel floor under the mattress after a few night of sleeping in cold weather. :cry:
Very interested in some kind of pad under the foam mattress that will allow it to breath???
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby pchast » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:59 pm

This stuff is used in some places....
http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?pa ... id=1818021
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Keith » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:33 pm

You can buy a bag of silica gel cat litter from Walmart for less than $10. I found this information in a car magazine a few years ago. You fill an old sock full of it and tie it off. Cover the sock with a second sock and then toss it in your trailer. I have a couple of them in my leaky '56 Chevy and it keeps the moister out and my windows defogged.

Silica gel is the stuff in the little packets that come in most electronics, ect. They are in there for moisture control.

Keith
Keith
Teardrop Master

Postby Cosmo » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:05 pm

UPDATE 12/07/16 The person I spoke with (a rdropper) said the Hypervent does not prevent the condensation it keeps the mattress above the water pooling under the mattress which helps keep the mattress dryer.

Boaters and RV s are using this product - its a breathable mesh type mat that allows air circulation under the mattress. The pad does not crush and circulates air. I have not used it. I know both know both a boat owner and a few teardrop owners who say its working for them. Of course nothing works for everyone.

- Cosmo

http://hyperventonline.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U6WYbp4kUM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW6NGQ8epBQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKIf2RMIAd0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9ydqZGGqSs

[/size]

FUN WITH TEARDROP TRAILER VIDEOS
https://www.youtube.com/CosmoWeems/videos

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

Postby bbrider » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:59 pm

My wife and I took our wee-go to a state park here in north Louisiana this past weekend. We ran a large ceramic heater at night. The first night we left the windows cracked on each side, but the condensation was pretty bad the next morning so on the second night we closed the windows. That was worse. I am now looking at a small dehumidifier. Ivation GDM20 from Amazon. I have seen several websites that have had good things to say about these so I am going to give it a try. I don't know if I will get to take it camping again this year so I may just sleep in it here at home as a test. I will post back my results when I get it in and give it a try.
Naw Bro, We ain't lost. We just ain't never been here before!

Wee-Go build journal:
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66964
bbrider
Teardrop Master

Postby ELM » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:35 pm

We went camping in Yellowstone the first week of October and it was cold and we had a problem with condition.
Do you know what power this unit runs on. I looked at the Amazon link and couldn't find what power it ran on.
ELM
Teardrop Master

Postby KennethW » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:28 pm

bbrider wrote:My wife and I took our wee-go to a state park here in north Louisiana this past weekend. We ran a large ceramic heater at night. The first night we left the windows cracked on each side, but the condensation was pretty bad the next morning so on the second night we closed the windows. That was worse. I am now looking at a small dehumidifier. Ivation GDM20 from Amazon. I have seen several websites that have had good things to say about these so I am going to give it a try. I don't know if I will get to take it camping again this year so I may just sleep in it here at home as a test. I will post back my results when I get it in and give it a try.

Did you open the roof vent?
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:21 am

With you breathing inside the trailer , YOU are creating the Humidity , which creates the condensation on the walls (everywhere) ... If you have the Dog , part of the condensation is Dog Breath ... :o ( Yuck !!! ) The old timers had small vents in their trailers that were always Open ... Maybe they did that from experience ? :roll:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby bbrider » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:22 am

ELM wrote:We went camping in Yellowstone the first week of October and it was cold and we had a problem with condition.
Do you know what power this unit runs on. I looked at the Amazon link and couldn't find what power it ran on.

It is 9V and it comes with a 110 power adapter. A big black one like the laptops used. I think there is a 12v accessory power cord available too, but I couldn't find it.

KennethW wrote:
bbrider wrote:My wife and I took our wee-go to a state park here in north Louisiana this past weekend. We ran a large ceramic heater at night. The first night we left the windows cracked on each side, but the condensation was pretty bad the next morning so on the second night we closed the windows. That was worse. I am now looking at a small dehumidifier. Ivation GDM20 from Amazon. I have seen several websites that have had good things to say about these so I am going to give it a try. I don't know if I will get to take it camping again this year so I may just sleep in it here at home as a test. I will post back my results when I get it in and give it a try.

Did you open the roof vent?

We did the first night. It was open, but not running. Had the condensation so the second night we tried it closed up. That was worse. We know now that it needs to be open for sure. I decided to order a pwm to put in the fan so I can slow the speed down and run it at night as well as running the dehumidifier. We know it is a learning process. All a part of the fun of building and using a tiny trailer....LOL. Thanks for the post.
Naw Bro, We ain't lost. We just ain't never been here before!

Wee-Go build journal:
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66964
bbrider
Teardrop Master

Postby lrrowe » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:44 pm

I must be either lucky or built my CT correctly. I just got back from a week on grid in a Virginia National Forest and with three of us in the trailer, did not have any condensation issues. The night time temps were in the mid 30's down to mid 20's F. I left the ceiling vent open a crack, but it was under a full trailer tarp amd the window open about 1". My heat came from my hacked hot water radiator with large 12v fan. I kept the inside temperature at 60 degrees F
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Pictures of MaxAir Vent Fan

Postby Dusty Mark » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:46 pm

Here are the photos you requested of the Max Air vent fan on my teardrop build.

This is in the closed position. Note, that my installation is far to the rear and over toward the passenger side because I also use the fan to vent the hot air from the back of my air conditioner. I raised the back end up over an inch so that the fan is installed in a more level position that looked better to me.

This is the open position. It's nice to be able to run this fan in rainy conditions.

Mark
Dusty Mark
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion