Underfloor Storage - Worth It??

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Underfloor Storage - Worth It??

Postby bobwhite215 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:24 pm

I will be laying down the floor on my trailer frame this weekend, and am really going back and forth on whether build storage under the floor.

My initial thoughts were to build a full length false floor, underneath which I could store canopy poles, tables, etc. However, after much consideration, I think I am going to ditch this idea. Will probably still build a storage pocket under the galley for a small table.

That brings me to a storage box under the sleeping area. I see that lots of people do them, but I'm not really sure what you would put in there. I can only go about 6" deep before dropping below the axle. I thought about storing the spare tire there, but that would require 8".

What do people store in there? I don't think I'd want to be rolling the bed back all of the time, so it would probably need to just be emergency type supplies.

Any advice or experiences are greatly appreciated.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
bobwhite215
Teardrop Master

Re: Underfloor Storage - Worth It??

Postby clip » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:47 pm

I plan to keep shotguns and fly rods in mine or anything that you want to keep out of plain sight.
clip
Teardrop Builder

Postby tony.latham » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:57 pm

My first teardrop was commercially built by Hunter. It had storage under the mattress. You'd had to lift up the mattress, lift the plywood piece that covered the storage and then rummage around with your third hand to find what you needed. I thought it was a pain.

There's probably a way to make it more accessible.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:59 am

tony.latham wrote:My first teardrop was commercially built by Hunter. It had storage under the mattress. You'd had to lift up the mattress, lift the plywood piece that covered the storage and then rummage around with your third hand to find what you needed. I thought it was a pain.

There's probably a way to make it more accessible.

Tony

I was going to have under mattress storage, and even built the boxes, but did not install them because of the hassle of getting to the small storage area. I have seen a teardrop that had a full floor storage about 4-5" thick that was accessed from the galley area when the hatch was open. It was very handy to store a camp table, and fishing poles.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:43 am

I think it's well worth the effort to make under bed storage.
One friend, who's built 43 teardrops, makes a full length false floor to provide storage and people store almost anything, including tables and folding chairs.
Myself, I like to provide maximum head room so I make mine that drops below the floor.
As you can see from this photo I make a split mattress so we can access the storage area and also to facilitate us when making the bed.
It's a lot easier to put a fitted sheet on a split mattress by placing one over the other a couple inches.
I use recessed finger cups that are for sliding doors to keep the support dowel from slipping.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Woodbutcher » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:47 am

Spare tire storage, or emergency repair tools ETC.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Worth It If You Include a Couch Conversion

Postby Dusty Mark » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:05 pm

Underfloor storage provides an extra six inches or so for your legs to reach a normal seated height if you plan to convert your bed to a couch. We began storing our folding camp chairs there during transport and abandoned that in favor of storing only those things we use while the bed is in the couch mode.
Dusty Mark
Teardrop Master

Postby dmdc411 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:29 pm

I ran into the problem of needing 3 hands to get anything in or out of it. Memory foam mattresses are heavy. Don't use the compartment at all. Drive a pickup, so there is no issue.
dmdc411
Teardrop Master

Postby bobwhite215 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:30 pm

Thanks for all the feedback everybody. I think I am going to skip the underfloor storage. In all likelihood we will be pulling the camper with a pickup most of the time, so it's probably just not needed. If I change my mind, I can always cut out a section of floor and add a box at any time.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk
bobwhite215
Teardrop Master

Postby Vedette » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:04 am

bobwhite215 wrote:Thanks for all the feedback everybody. I think I am going to skip the underfloor storage. In all likelihood we will be pulling the camper with a pickup most of the time, so it's probably just not needed. If I change my mind, I can always cut out a section of floor and add a box at any time.

Big Mistake!
We have under floor storage in Miss Piggy.....and it is one of the best feature! :thumbsup:
When building our second teardrop (Kermit), I had 1 " more vertical space available. So, asked Sandi "if she wanted it above the bed or below the bed" she replied below the bed! Thus, We have 9" of storage below the bed (full length) as opposed to 8" (half basement) in Miss Piggy) Best space ever! :applause:
We currently carry 2 under bed plastic totes with "all" of our clothes (enough for a month on the road). But our new trailer will have room for the solar panel (not used that often) our clothes, our external lamp attachment, and our added change room.
This area is easy to access, and is the most valuable space in our trailers.
Don't pass this by lighty....as you "Will" regret it! :thinking:
It is like leaving the "Shore power "option off of your wiring system. :roll:
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi

Over 50,000 miles and 221 nights!
Last edited by Vedette on Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby Vedette » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:08 am

bobwhite215 wrote:Thanks for all the feedback everybody. I think I am going to skip the underfloor storage. In all likelihood we will be pulling the camper with a pickup most of the time, so it's probably just not needed. If I change my mind, I can always cut out a section of floor and add a box at any time.

Put gas rams on your doors!
And get a real foam mattress that is lighter and doesn't get hard when the temperature changes.....you will love it! :thumbsup:
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby QueticoBill » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:40 am

How low do you all go, as in ground clearance? Below the frame? Forgo insulation?

It sounds appealing but I'm planning on Ironton frame with axle on top of springs and just ply, no other framing, on the trailer frame.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:59 am

Check out the under-floor storage that Sam and Kat built into their teardrop! Keep scrolling down because there is more than one type that they build in: They added under-headboard storage as well as under-floor storage drawers that pull out from under the galley...no mattress to move!

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45718&start=30

Will Smith also has under-floor storage drawers that were built into his teardrop but I can't find a picture of those. He loves them. His drawers follow the cross-members of the chassis and open from the outside. Again, no mattress to move.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby brx017 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:30 pm

QueticoBill wrote:How low do you all go, as in ground clearance? Below the frame? Forgo insulation?

It sounds appealing but I'm planning on Ironton frame with axle on top of springs and just ply, no other framing, on the trailer frame.

Check out my build, I'm using the Ironton frame. I also put my axle above the springs, but I intend to upgrade to 15" tires. I moved the crossmembers around to suit my needs for a bed that folds into a sofa.

What I did (in CAD) was draw a line from where the tire contacts the ground to the ball of the tongue. Imagine pulling a string from tire to tongue. I assumed this would be theoretically where I would be most likely to hit something and I just stayed behind and above that line. I believe the technical term for this is the approach angle, you can google for a visual. For a rear box in the gallery you do the same, it's called the departure angle.

Since it's a diagonal line, if I stay further back (closer to the axle) it can be deeper. A longer box front to back, or shifted forward would need to be shallower for the same clearance.

Some people might think I'm pushing my luck, but my box is deep. I think it actually hangs a little lower than my axle, but I maintained more ground clearance than my car has. Since I'm not building it for off-road use I feel comfortable doing this. I can't remember exactly, but I'm thinking it's either 8 or 10 inches deep. The 15" tires will help with ground clearance too. I figure the worst case scenario is I knock the box of the bottom of my trailer and lose all its contents going highway speeds in the dark and in the rain.

I'll try to get some pictures and measurements for you so maybe some of this makes a little more sense

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
brx017
Teardrop Master

Postby bobwhite215 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:23 pm

brx017 wrote:
QueticoBill wrote:How low do you all go, as in ground clearance? Below the frame? Forgo insulation?

Check out my build, I'm using the Ironton frame. I also put my axle above the springs, but I intend to upgrade to 15" tires. I moved the crossmembers around to suit my needs for a bed that folds into a sofa.

What I did (in CAD) was draw a line from where the tire contacts the ground to the ball of the tongue. Imagine pulling a string from tire to tongue. I assumed this would be theoretically where I would be most likely to hit something and I just stayed behind and above that line. I believe the technical term for this is the approach angle, you can google for a visual. For a rear box in the gallery you do the same, it's called the departure angle.

Since it's a diagonal line, if I stay further back (closer to the axle) it can be deeper. A longer box front to back, or shifted forward would need to be shallower for the same clearance.

Some people might think I'm pushing my luck, but my box is deep. I think it actually hangs a little lower than my axle, but I maintained more ground clearance than my car has. Since I'm not building it for off-road use I feel comfortable doing this. I can't remember exactly, but I'm thinking it's either 8 or 10 inches deep. The 15" tires will help with ground clearance too. I figure the worst case scenario is I knock the box of the bottom of my trailer and lose all its contents going highway speeds in the dark and in the rain.

I'll try to get some pictures and measurements for you so maybe some of this makes a little more sense

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Not sure about your approach angle theory. If you run over something 8" high, it's the same height when it passes under the tongue as it is when it goes under the axle.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
bobwhite215
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to General Discussion